Events which test the player morally

General discussion about the game.
Gorlom

Re: Events which test the player morally

Postby Gorlom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 am

Another way to Introduce moral options is to have the "evil" or selfserving option provide you with more resources, but increase the npcs efforts (in frequency and/or ferocity) to take you out. Or in game terms: give more rewarding immidiet outcome, but at the same time increase or accelerate the difficulty. Validate it as you will. Should be fairly easy to come up with ingame reasons.

Then the player would have to make a judgement call wether the additional reward is worth the future effort. 8-)

It also increases the replayability since you are affecting your own games outcome (and possibly changeing the story, if the devs want to go that deep into it. ;) )

To the person that didn't want reputation to spread out across the world: FTL means faster then light, technically it does not mean instantanious (Unless the devs has said otherwise and I've missed it). If I recall correctly there are some theories about splitting fotons or subatomic particles and manipulating one half affects the other instantly, no matter the distance? I believe that in MassEffect 2 the elusive man's com system worked on that principle. Communication can be as fast as you want it to be in a fictional work, you shouldnt limit yourself just because of FTL. OFcourse in the end its up to the devs how they want the game to play out.
Samson

Postby Samson » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Gorlom wrote:~Snip~
To the person that didn't want reputation to spread out across the world: FTL means faster then light, technically it does not mean instantanious (Unless the devs has said otherwise and I've missed it). If I recall correctly there are some theories about splitting fotons or subatomic particles and manipulating one half affects the other instantly, no matter the distance? I believe that in MassEffect 2 the elusive man's com system worked on that principle. ~Snip~

[Rant]
What you are referring to is Quantum Entanglement. It involves creating conditions where two identical particles (you can't split a photon as they are discreet quanta) are forced to share the same state but are opposite from each other. Photons are entangled by polarizing them and using a set wavelength. It is possible to do this with any subatomic particle in theory (including atoms) , but has been achieved with limited success, for very short periods of time. The best way to think of it is a coin on a glass table. Let say you are looking from the top of the table and Bob is looking at the coin from below. If you see heads, you know Bob sees tails without the need to ask Bob. So if your photon is + (for simplicities sake) Bob's will always be -. We've not yet got to the point where we can manipulate one particle without destroying the entanglement, but in theory, any change should be instantaneous between the two particles. [End Rant]

So yes, there are theories of how we can create Faster than Light communications and ME2's example is sound.
Bluevein

Postby Bluevein » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am

Spelunky is a great example of how a moral choice (or even high risk response) is far outweighed by capital gain. The shopkeeper is the second hardest enemy in the game once prevoked, but there are multiple ways you can kill t hem without risk. And once you have done so the shotgun you get alone is enough to keep you safe from future shopkeepers as long as you are careful.

I will always take the moral approach to the shop keepers. I will actively try to collect enough gold to buy the things I want from them, and if they have anything nice which I can't afford I will continue on and try to collect enough gold to go back and buy the product.

However. The second I see a Jetpack for sale or an alter in the level (Which I can sacrifice the shop keeper on) I will instantly turn on him and murder him asap. Having a Jetpack, the chance at the vampire amulet (from the altar) and the shotgun (which he drops when he dies) is just far to big a gain to let morality stand in the way.

Yes the shopkeepers in spunky also has a reaction to your thief/murder (They will all hunt you down for the rest of the game and even be waiting for you at the end of every level), but that is not too much to handle when you have 99 health (from vampire ring), or a shotgun (from his death), or a jetpack. It all comes down to WHEN you will break your morality, not IF you will.
Note: I am not in the beta and base most of my perception of the game come from a massive number of YouTube playthroughs and reading of patch notes/changes.