Worst map ever

General discussion about the game.
TehHeat

Worst map ever

Postby TehHeat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:53 pm

FTL Worst possible map.jpg

In this map I took the lower route, hoping to be able to jump to the exit. It was a gamble, but it seemed possible. Jumping into the ion storm on the left is about the same distance as on the right. How ever I was wrong and fought my way trough the rebel fleet all the way back trough the 3 ion storms. I was lucky I was strong enough to survive all those ships, although I took a lot of hull damage.

The best way to play this map is to pick up a few beacons at the beginning, then jump through the ion storms. Which means you are skipping most of the map.

It is fine that this can happen, luck of the draw. However, I second the other people on the forums for showing better jump capabilities. Showing the shortest path on hover would help a lot.
Dralax

Re: Worst map ever

Postby Dralax » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:37 pm

It already displays beacon connections on hover, what else do you need?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:03 am

Dralax wrote:It already displays beacon connections on hover, what else do you need?

It wouldn't kill you to be more considerate. Who are you to berate others and make judgements? The "show beacon paths of hover" option is not on by default and many players don't know about it since it wasn't part of the game until version 1.3.01.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
cicobuff

Postby cicobuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:40 am

Dralax wrote:It already displays beacon connections on hover, what else do you need?

Agree with mantis, you'll be far more helpful and find your target more receptive if you said, "There actually a show path on beacon hover in the options menu to avoid relating this."
TehHeat

Postby TehHeat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am

I did not know that it already was an option. Steam sneaks those updates in without me knowing. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

This was still the worst map I've ever seen.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 am

And i thought it was bad when I had to fight the rebels 10 times in a row in a big horseshoe course back to the start and then to the exit.

Luckily my ship was super decked out so each fight was easy. I ended up only losing one fuel the whole time because the rebel was as decked out as I was.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:07 pm

5thHorseman wrote:And i thought it was bad when I had to fight the rebels 10 times in a row in a big horseshoe course back to the start and then to the exit.

Luckily my ship was super decked out so each fight was easy. I ended up only losing one fuel the whole time because the rebel was as decked out as I was.

Wow 10 in a row is a lot. I remember a similar horseshoe... really weird when you're the one chasing the Rebel line. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm

UltraMantis wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:And i thought it was bad when I had to fight the rebels 10 times in a row in a big horseshoe course back to the start and then to the exit.

Wow 10 in a row is a lot. I remember a similar horseshoe... really weird when you're the one chasing the Rebel line. :)

Yeah it was terrible. There was only one system connecting the top and bottom halves and it was on the far left side of the sector. And I didn't realize the problem until I was all the way on the right and couldn't get down.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Saithis

Postby Saithis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:45 am

I also didn't know that was an option, super-useful to learn...I've shamefully run into a very similar situation and barely scraped my way out. :\