Forum restrictions for new users!

General discussion about the game.
Hurikane211

Re: Forum restrictions for new users!

Postby Hurikane211 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 am

Hey, long time lurker and very new poster here. I'm wondering if you could tell me how many posts it takes to have the new user group restriction lifted? Not a spammer or anything, but I'm very interested in trying to get some people to work on a mod and it would be much easier with PM's ^_^
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Somewhere between 5 and 10 I believe. Sorry about the restriction. As you can see, sometimes this forum has some serious spam problems so we're doing out best to combat them without too much inconvenience on your end :(
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:30 am

I'm sorry, I know I'm not supposed to respond to the bots as that just encourages them but...

lilylovey wrote:So what qualifies as a spam link? :roll:

"Does this unit have a spam link?"

They're taunting us now. Did someone let every single AI program in video games, anime and movie and TV history loose at the same time?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:46 am

Proud American Engi wrote:I doont think lilylovey is a bot , dude . :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :? :? :?

A Human who just joined the forums wouldn't put obvious spam links in their signature and bump up a topic minutes after they joined to just state "Thanks for the sticky" without any other explanation.

Also, I don't think they're coming back to defend their humanity.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:50 am

stylesrj wrote:
Proud American Engi wrote:I doont think lilylovey is a bot , dude . :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :? :? :?

A Human who just joined the forums wouldn't put obvious spam links in their signature and bump up a topic minutes after they joined to just state "Thanks for the sticky" without any other explanation.

Also, I don't think they're coming back to defend their humanity.

To defend their "humanity"? Nope. But they'll be back.
:evil:
They always come back.
*reloads ban-cannon...*
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 am

Kieve wrote:To defend their "humanity"? Nope. But they'll be back.
:evil:
They always come back.
*reloads ban-cannon...*

That's why I said they wouldn't be back to defend their humanity. If they ever came back, it would be to make more spam. Therefore proving they're bots.
It's only a matter of time though before the spambots do start acting like legit forum users (although I shouldn't give them ideas. But a ship mod where the skin of the Kestrel is replaced by ads would be hilarious!)
DarkPhoenix141

Postby DarkPhoenix141 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 am

Can we just limit all posts to one mega-introduction thread before anyone is allowed to post anywhere else?
That would quickly solve our problem, as nuking all the spam would be relatively simple and not interfere with the rest of the board. Further ban the user who made the post (Not the IP).
If they message a moderator, then they're not a bot.
This is no easy mission...

BUT YOU SON. YOU WERE BORN FOR IT.

And remember:

GODS WILL BE WATCHING
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:21 am

DarkPhoenix141 wrote:Can we just limit all posts to one mega-introduction thread before anyone is allowed to post anywhere else?
That would quickly solve our problem, as nuking all the spam would be relatively simple and not interfere with the rest of the board. Further ban the user who made the post (Not the IP).
If they message a moderator, then they're not a bot.

Problem with that approach is as what the bot just said.
"It is long."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:34 am

I've got this crazy idea that'll probably not work very effectively but...

Is there any way to ban a username with the word "Fifa" in the title?
I know it'll ban like a few legitimate names but the bots I've seen recently are all about coins and are very easy to find because there's "fifa" at the start of their names.
META_mahn

Postby META_mahn » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 am

UltraMantis wrote:
BTW, the same approval requirement applies to editing posts. Which causes "hillarity" when it's the OP of a thread, and then the whole thread dissapears.Image

Meanwhile Kieve is slowly deleting every single reply to a spam thread one by one, then removing the OP.
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.