Sector Map with Names?

General discussion about the game.
greetingsfromoslo

Sector Map with Names?

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:50 am

Does anyone else feel that when you hoover over a sector in the sector map it should provide you the identity of that sector? It would make it easier to plan to complete a cruiser mission ahead of your run, especially to find the hidden sector. It wouldn't mean it will be easier since events are random, but after a few playthroughs you know what you need to do, and then it is really annoying to not be able to tell exactly where to go. That drags out certain quests in a pretty unnecessary way, in my opinion.
IConquer

Re: Sector Map with Names?

Postby IConquer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:08 pm

The issue i kind of have with it is that it allows players, especially those trying to get the crystal cruiser, the ability to immediately determine if the sector map has a proper layout to get the cruiser after exiting only the first sector. This could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how difficult you feel it should be to unlock the crystal cruiser.
greetingsfromoslo

Re: Sector Map with Names?

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 pm

IConquer wrote:This could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how difficult you feel it should be to unlock the crystal cruiser.

It's already difficult even if the map had sector identities, since you need events to occur AND you need to survive long enough to reach the rock homeworld. It's not just to rush through, because you still need to play cautiously to make it that far.

I think it's bad design if you after a certain learning curve, can't control for certain factors that you've learned needs to be in place to accomplish something. I find it annoying when I have to quit playthroughs almost at the end, when I discover that a map that looked promising didn't have the right composition, nevermind the lack of necessary events. That takes away some of the game experience to me, when I'm not able to implement experience to accomplish an obvious goal. I don't want to waste too much on the obvious, because when it's done, I could spend my time to play around with the new toys.