Captain's Log - Rolling the Hard Six

General discussion about the game.
LONCHIVAR

Captain's Log - Rolling the Hard Six

Postby LONCHIVAR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:56 pm

It has been awhile since I have jumped on board the Forums here on FTL.

It has been a busy month for me and it won't be long and this captain will have a little one to bounce on his knee as he farms Rebel scum for fame and glory.

Looking at the game now there is only one real thing for me to do.

I think I still have the high score in the game, the low score in the game (with a victory on Normal) but for some reason I have not been able to get that crystal ship.

Goodness knows I have had that crystal guy on my ship enough times for him to have his own bunk but I never seem to get the ROCK HOMEWORLDS as a Red dot on the map.

And when I do?

No ancient devices to be found.

Now I have always been pretty good at math and the hunt for the Crystal ship is a quest for 4 needles in 4 haystacks and those haystacks have to be lined up just right.

I have lost count of how many times I have tried to find this elusive unicorn but I think in the name of science and exploration I will start keeping track.

Here was my first go early this morning.

http://youtu.be/eHTxvW3jk0Q

How many games do you think it will take me to get the ship?

I don't know... and even if it never happens that is all okay with me.

I do love this game!

LONCHIVAR
UltraMantis

Re: Captain's Log - Rolling the Hard Six

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:24 am

I do applaud your enthusiasm. You're one of the few not pulling his hair out over the low odds of unlocking the darn ship. :)

Best of luck in your quest. If it's any consolation at all, i have only had the crystal stroll in my ship once. Such is FTL. And i too love this game
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
MC3craze

Postby MC3craze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Hope you hit it soon, going through the hidden sector is magical, especially seeing the enemy ships.

Also you might want to try using the rock cruiser Type B, probably the best crystal hunter of all.
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

STARDATE: 2-12-13

I have made it a point to try to keep a running log of my quest for the ellusive Crystal Cruiser. My goal is to make one run for the hidden sector each day until that goal is accomplished.

However, yesterday I decided to play TEN games and see what kind of straws I drew with regards to finding all the needles in the haystacks throughout the galaxy. I do not play the game to completion. When the starmap shows me that the possibility of getting the crystal ship is IMPOSSIBLE I pull the plug on the mission.

I have been using the SHIVAN Rockman cruiser B for all my attempts so far.

Out of the ten games I played yesterday I did not find a single Crystal Pod.

I am planning on keeping statistics on just how often I find the Pod, find some Long Range Sensors, get the pod open to free the Crystal fellow, find the Rock Homeworlds, get to the hidden sector and finally find the ship.

And also along the way I hope I can make the galaxy a better place by keeping this Captains Log book.

This is one of those examples of life where good things in life should not always be easy and some things are worth waiting for and some things are worth fighting for.

So after 12 runs (including today's)

CRYSTAL POD RECOVERIES - 0
LONG RANGE SCANNER PURCHASES - 3
CRYSTAL CREWMEMBERS FREED - 0
ROCKHOMEWORLDS DISCOVERED - 0
SECRET SECTOR UNLOCKED - 0
CRYSTAL SHIP SECURED - 0

I never have believed in LUCK. Things happen for a reason. Perhaps this logbook will help someone else on their journey through the universe.

This game does make the universe a better place and I hope I can say the same with this idea.

Happy hunting out there!

LONCHIVAR
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 pm

STARDATE 2-13-13

Well a bit of good news in the cold vastness of space today!

I played my first run where I found a little success and got my first DAMAGED STASIS POD.

It was on my 14th run with my ship THE LEGENDARY.

However even though there was a nice string of GREEN DOTS on the star map after the discovery all of them turned out to be CIVILIAN SECTORS.

So in the end I was not successful... but a flicker of hope was a good thing.

AFTER CRYSTAL SHIP 14 RUNS.

CRYSTAL POD RECOVERIES - 1
LONG RANGE SCANNER PURCHASES - 4
CRYSTAL CREWMEMBERS FREED - 0
CRYSTAL SHIP SECURED - 0

I have seen a few posts about the modifications to the program that could help boost my odds of success... but I have never been one to take the easy road.

My guess is if it is 1 in 10 to find the pod, 1 in 10 to get it open, and 1 in 10 to find the portal to the secret sector that means it might take me 1000 tries to get this done.

It might be a journey of self discorvery more than anything.

Time is a factor.

I could have started up another game and started trying to roll that hard six again and again and again.

But it needs to be stated that time in the end is all we have.

If everyone that played games on the computer took a few mintues each day to help their fellow games we would have quite a revolution of change on our hands.

Am I the greatest FTL player that ever played the game?

No. There is always someone better.

But I would really go far and say that I am probably the biggest fan of this game and if I can help others with the FTL experience that would be an honour.

So if you read these words and need some advice? Well... I think I am going to be doing this Captain's Log for quite some time.

Time is all we have!

Happy hunting out there!

LONCHIVAR
Vindaloo

Postby Vindaloo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Lonchivar,

I think your approach is good, I used the same one when I went for the Crystal ship unlock! Sadly I think all your luck was transferred to me as I got it on my 4th try.

Good luck, and NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 pm

I fired up the ship again and I realized afterwards that my ship had the wrong name.

If I do play a game today I think I will rename my vessel THE LEGACY 16.

My fifteenth run with LEGENDARY 15 was the closest I came to success so far since I have embarked on this project. I found the stasis pod in a pirate sector, jumped myself into a corner to find the research center and battled 3 mean elites to limp to the exit...

And the three red dots that I had such high hopes?

Mantis, Rebel, Rebel...

The Rockmen must not believe in that Valentines Day stuff.

So after 15 CRYSTAL SHIP RUNS.

CRYSTAL POD RECOVERIES - 2
LONG RANGE SCANNER PURCHASES - 5
CRYSTAL CREWMEMBERS FREED - 1
CRYSTAL SHIP SECURED - 0

Things are looking up!

And what surprises me most is the support that this quest is undertaking. If I make good with a few other captains along the way this is going to be quite the epic journey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mEyCJPqpWE
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Sometimes you lose at this game even before you start!

Yesterday I had probably the quickest Crystal Ship run ever.

Looking at the map after sector 1 I judged it not improbable but IMPOSSIBLE to complete the task.

http://youtu.be/qnnG6lBOh7M

Such a quick end gave me time to try a different challenge... and that one ended in a very special way.

Has anyone ever been killed by the WINDOWS UPDATE RNG???

Talk about your hardcore event horizon!

LONCHIVAR
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Another close encounter of the Crystal kind.

I am keeping a log book now of my attempts at finding the elusive Crystal Cruiser. I am curious to know exactly what the chances are of finding the crystal ship. 1 in 100? 1 in 1000? There are a lot of people that play this game that are good at mathematics... so hopefully they can chime in and add to the educated estimation of what your odds are of finding the crystal ship.

I have room for one more entry on my log book's first page and it would be ironic if I found the ship on my "lucky" number.

I do not believe in luck... but I do believe in irony.

AFTER 23 CRYSTAL SHIP RUNS

CRYSTAL POD RECOVERIES - 4
LONG RANGE SCANNER PURCHASES - 5
CRYSTAL CREWMEMBERS FREED - 2
CRYSTAL SHIP SECURED - 0

http://youtu.be/yso8hqCTC64

Good hunting out there Captains!

LONCHIVAR
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I just unlocked it last night. I decided to load up my laptop with FTL and for a change of pace, decided to play on Easy with Beacons on. Realize that this is after dozens of games, maybe 100 (I frequently delete prof.sav for the renewed joy of unlocking ships and Achievement dings). This is a Kestral A run, no Long Range Scanners.

Every game I look at the layout and try to take a path that might find Crystal.

Step 1: Pods can be found in Engi, Pirate or Rock and I believe are always Distress Beacons. So I visit every Distress Beacon I can find in an eligible sector. This one happened to be Rock.

Step 2: Pods can only be unlocked in Engi or Zoltan sectors in a non-ship beacon (if you can tell the difference). So, planning ahead I always follow a path that has the most green sectors ahead of eligible red sectors. I found a Zoltan sleep center in an Engi sector. Welcome Crystal crew (and the Kestral Achievement - 6th crew type). Not the first time, maybe 4th or 5th time I've opened a pod.

Step 3: Secret sector can only be found in the Rock Homeworlds with a Crystal crewmember. Always a shipless beacon and always will be Sector 4 or later. Without Long Range Scanners this sucks. There is always a beacon with it somewhere in the Homeworld, but what are the odds you find the right one. I'm jumping through every beacon I can avoiding stores, distress beacons and nebulas. Half way through, Rebels on my tail, no luck when I jump into a Mercenary. Then I had the thought, wait...mercenaries are better than Long Range Scanners! They break down the whole map! I spend the scrap. Rest of the map there are 4 non-ship beacons. Unfortunately, I can only figure out a path to 3 of the 4 (hoping I didn't already miss it) as the Rebels are on my tail. Bingo! Secret sector!

So, my new advice...Mercenaries are your friends. If you really want the Crystal ship, hire them to scout the sector. Better than Long Range Scanners and works for any ship.