10 in a row!

General discussion about the game.
nafuid

10 in a row!

Postby nafuid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I'm on a crazy winning streak. 10 in a row so far.
1) Stealth B
2) Engi A
3) Mantis A
4) Mantis B
Think wow, i'm winning a lot. Maybe I should go for 2 total wins with each ship, so:
5) Crystal B (this one's almost a gimme)
6) Kestrel B (Tough run, very little scrap. My new lowest score for a victory)
Now for the hard ones. Surely one of these will kill me, right?
7) Zoltan B (Three suns in sector 1, 2 of them back to back. Ouch, but at least no asteroids)
8) Slug B (I'm now 2 for 2 with this crippled piece of junk!)
9) Engi B (That's it! Two wins with each ship.)
What's next? There's no possible way i could win 10 in a row, and to make sure I'll do:
10) Stealth B (Damn, free pre-igniter in sector 2. The streak goes on.)

Most of these did not seem to be particularly lucky runs, but none of them had overwhelming bad luck. 8 of these runs had at least one point where I thought I would probably lose! I guess that speaks to how well the game is balanced.

Needless to say, in reference to a previous thread, I don't think the game should be easier :)

--- Updates ---
11) Fed B
12) Zoltan A
Streak still going
Last edited by nafuid on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megas Domestikos

Re: 10 in a row!

Postby Megas Domestikos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Easy or Normal?

I had a five victory streak on Easy and that was the moment when I decided to move to Normal. Have yet to pass sector 2 :D Too many missile-wielding enemies.
Space Roman
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:24 pm

So you're the one responsible for my shitty luck! Give it back you, i'm on a 14 long losing streak :|
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Megas Domestikos wrote:Easy or Normal?

I had a five victory streak on Easy and that was the moment when I decided to move to Normal. Have yet to pass sector 2 :D Too many missile-wielding enemies.

Normal. I played my first 3 games on easy and have played normal ever since.

What ship(s) are you playing? Most ships can cripple enemy weapons pretty quickly in sectors 1 and 2.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 pm

UltraMantis wrote:So you're the one responsible for my shitty luck! Give it back you, i'm on a 14 long losing streak :|

Wow. I say take your luck back by force. Carnelian should do the trick, or mabe Shivan.
Megas Domestikos

Postby Megas Domestikos » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 am

nafuid wrote:What ship(s) are you playing? Most ships can cripple enemy weapons pretty quickly in sectors 1 and 2.

Zoltan A/B and Fed Cruiser mostly.
Space Roman
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Megas Domestikos wrote:Zoltan A/B and Fed Cruiser mostly.

Maybe you are just having really bad luck, but usually these three ships can do ok against 1 shield enemies with missiles. Target enemies weapons first, you can usually disable the missiles before the second volley. Fed A will take a bit of damage from the first volley but the Zoltan ships should block it.

On a side note, I think Zoltan B has one of the most temperamental starts. No shield and no LR Scanner means one asteroid field is probably game ending, and if an enemy has a beam drone it is a race to disable drone control before your Zoltan shield drops. Lots of things can go wrong before you get a shield.
nafuid

Postby nafuid » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 am

And so after 12 wins in a row, here's what it took to end the streak (playing Mantis A, small bomb + basic laser):
Beacon 1: guy selling fuel (wasted jump)
Beacon 2: AI ship in asteroids with Ion Blaster + Mini Beam. My first 3 bombs missed. Just escaped with 11 hull and most of may ship on fire, back to safety of the starting beacon. Put out fires, then:
Beacon 3: AI ship with missile and cloak in Ion Storm. Defeated it with 9 hull left.
Beacon 4: Boarded by 3 humans without a ship. My Mantis' killed them easily, but no loot.
Beacon 5: AI ship with BL2 + HL1 (4 total laser shots). Killed it with 7 hull left, now have 32 scrap.
Beacon 6: Zoltan with HL1 + Mini Beam + Anti Ship Drone. Only got one shot at his Zoltan shield before I was dead.
Totals:
Scrap Collected: 22, Score: 177.

I think I am more relieved than sad the streak is over. I was starting to expect to win :(. And I am glad it ended the way it did, with a sequence of enemies that should probably have killed me much faster than they did.

But did I have a chance in this game? I think so. I was brazen in my early beacon selection, seeking to maximize jumps in sector 1 by staying in the nearby nebula before I had upgraded my shields. Lesson learned.