Custom pilot sprite, custom pilot ideas

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding.
tosx

Re: Custom pilot sprite, custom pilot ideas

Postby tosx » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:05 am

So because mech stuff seems much easier to learn than pilot stuff, I started mucking around with it last weekend. I ended up making a sniper ability, and decided to try making a sprite to go with it.

I made some notes that may eventually turn into a simple squad (no unique gimmicks, just new weapons; sorta like the Riftwalkers).

This guy is probably the Reaper Mech (I know Djinn was considering a mech with that name, but I don't think it actually got made?).

Weapon 1 (current version): Long Rifle
A 1-use, 3 damage projectile that can't be aimed less than 2 tiles. Pushes mech back, and pushes the 3 tiles around the target. (May eventually try tweaking so you can aim at less than max range, so like an artillery weapon that requires a clear path).
- Upgrade 1 (3 cores): +1 use
- Upgrade 2 (3 cores): +2 damage

Weapon 2: Reload
Refills uses of limited weapons, and pushes an adjacent target.
- Upgrade 1 (1 core): applies acid to target.
- Upgrade 2 (1 core): leaps 1 or more tiles away from target.
Djinn

Postby Djinn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 pm

tosx wrote:So because mech stuff seems much easier to learn than pilot stuff, I started mucking around with it last weekend. I ended up making a sniper ability, and decided to try making a sprite to go with it.

I made some notes that may eventually turn into a simple squad (no unique gimmicks, just new weapons; sorta like the Riftwalkers).

This guy is probably the Reaper Mech (I know Djinn was considering a mech with that name, but I don't think it actually got made?).

Weapon 1 (current version): Long Rifle
A 1-use, 3 damage projectile that can't be aimed less than 2 tiles. Pushes mech back, and pushes the 3 tiles around the target. (May eventually try tweaking so you can aim at less than max range, so like an artillery weapon that requires a clear path).

Weapon 2: Reload

You can't steal Reaper Mech from me I'll sue! Go right ahead and use that, the mech looks awesome! The abilities are super interesting, and the synergy with the Reload ability would make it super interesting to pick up as a weapon drop for other squads.
tosx

Postby tosx » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Yeah I need to check into the "add weapons to the shop" stuff that was being discussed on Discord.

I've got the other two mechs and the overall squad coded, so once I get sprites and things complete I'll probably post them.

For feedback, here's the whole squad:

Reaper mech (Prime, 2HP, 4 move)
Weapon 1: Long Rifle (2 cores)
A 1-use, 3 damage projectile that can't be aimed less than 2 tiles. Pushes mech back, and pushes the 3 tiles around the target. CAN aim at less than max range, but requires a clear path.

Weapon 2: Auto-Loader

Archangel mech (Ranged, flying, 3HP, 3 move)
Weapon 1: Orion Missiles (1 core)
A 1 damage artillery shot that fires 2 missiles (like Gemini), and pushes tiles in front of/behind the targets.
- Upgrade 1 (1 core): if there is smoke on a target tile, deals 2 damage to units on the 4 surrounding tiles, and removes the smoke.
- Upgrade 2 (2 cores): adds smoke on both targets.

Force mech (Science, 3HP, 3 move)
Weapon 1: Gravity Pulse
Projectiles that pull units on either side of you 1 tile (like a dual Attraction Pulse).
- Upgrade 1 (2 cores): the other 2 directions now push (also projectiles).
- Upgrade 2 (2 cores): units are slid 1 tile toward/away, before the push/pull (NOTE: this doesn't work well with attack previewing, so I may change it to just slide units 2 tiles and lose the push/pull).

They're probably too powerful as envisioned, but the idea (based around the Reaper's gimmick) was A) they have lots of damage and push, but not to the same target, B) they have a bit of an "every other turn" thing going on (shoot/reload, smoke/explode it), and C) they have some trouble with melee enemies.
Last edited by tosx on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tosx

Postby tosx » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Figured it was also time to share the v2 pilot plan, since I've actually managed to code a few! If I get some more sprites done, maybe I'll post it and just incrementally add pilots.

Moved updated list to the first page.
Last edited by tosx on Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tosx

Postby tosx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:36 am

So after a LOT of fiddling and thinking and looking for workarounds, Walker's move-swap ability will be changing. I had the swap portion mostly working, but there are just so many problems you can create that Move Undo won't automatically revert. So I'll forego further thoughts of doing anything board-effecting during pilot move actions.

At least I learned a lot in trying to make it work. I've updated the list above (and copied it to the first page).
Dovahkick

Postby Dovahkick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm

I saw those custom pilot sprites some of you did, and it incited me to make some (I did them, but I did not invent them).
I haven't made the blink images and the "critical state" images either, but the most important is that I did the sprites.
Image Image Image
tosx

Postby tosx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Nice! Are they based on anything? That's a cool lookin' bot.
Dovahkick

Postby Dovahkick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:04 pm

tosx wrote:Nice! Are they based on anything? That's a cool lookin' bot.

They're based on these characters.
(Sorry for the large images btw, couldn't find smaller without being blurry.