The mod loader is a collection of lua scripts and DLL libraries, providing a framework that loads mods and empowers them with additional features.
This is a continuation of Cyberboy2000's mod loader, which was originally posted here. Seeing as he's been unreachable for quite a while, I decided to take over the deveopment to fix bugs and implement new features.
GitHub repository can be found here.
Download link: [ Version 2.2.5 ]
Release page with changelog
A list of all previous releases can be found here.
Extract the zip file into the game's base directory, next to the game's executable, overwriting files as necessary. The zip includes original copies of the overwritten files so you can easily revert, if need be.
After doing so, start the game. When you get to the main menu, there should be an additional button in the main menu reading "Mod Content", as well as mod loader version string in the bottom-right corner.
If you're upgrading from a previous version of the mod loader and encounter issues, the nuclear option of doing a clean reinstall of the game will solve all of them.
To uninstall the mod loader, follow these steps:
- 1. Go to the base game directory (the one containing the .exe)
2. Delete lua5.1.dll, SDL2.dll, and opengl32.dll.
3. Rename lua5.1-original.dll to lua5.1.dll, and SDL2-original.dll to SDL2.dll.
4. Go to scripts folder, find the file named scripts.lua, open it with any text editor, and remove this line (near the end of the file): "scripts/mod_loader/__scripts.lua". Save the file.
5. Go to resources folder, and delete resource.dat.
6. Rename resource.dat.bak to resource.dat.
After that, the game should be back to unmodded state. If you get any errors despite following these steps, try validating integrity of game cache (if on Steam), or reinstalling the game.
To install mods, simply unpack them into the mods folder in the game's base directory.
To access some functionalities of the mod loader, like configuration, etc, click the Mod Content button in main menu after starting the game.
If you're interested in creating mods, be sure to join the Into the Breach Discord server, and hang out in the #modding-creation and #modding-discussion channels. They are a very useful place when it comes to getting help on how to do things, and accessing the general body of knowledge compiled by the community so far.
If you're looking for a place to start, this Google doc includes a few tutorials.
If you're an advanced modder, documentation of all additional features provided by the mod loader and the mod API can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to download AUTOMATIC's DLL Extender, or Cyber's mod loader?
No. This version of the mod loader includes everything you need. Downloading AUTO's DLLs will actually cause problems.
- Does the mod loader work on systems other than Windows? (once ITB is released on other platforms)
The lua part of the mod loader does, but the additional features in the form of DLLs most likely won't. Unfortunately, I do not have enough C++ expertise to do anything about this.
- Some parts of the modded UI are obviously misplaced or incorrectly sized, why is that?
You're likely playing with Stretch Scaling enabled. The mod loader's GUI code does not account for it. I'm trying to work out a solution, but it's going very slowly. For now, to fix this issue on your end, you have to disable this option.