[Squad] Kinematics

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
Tarmean

[Squad] Kinematics

Postby Tarmean » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:01 pm

This squad relies on a wonky combo for most damage: Launch one enemy and push another enemy onto that spot to squash them. So you can only kill priority targets and are busy preventing damage the rest of the time.

Here is a gameplay video

Mod download

Requires mod loader

Changelog:

v1.0: Release

v1_1: Use underscore for version numbers because otherwise the game chokes, rename bots to avoid name clashes with other mods

v1_2:

Fixed internal naming schemes to avoid clashes with other mods.

Also changed the following upgrades:
  • Launcher upgrade 'Collision damage' which killed both units when they land on each other is now enabled by default
  • New Launcher upgrade 'Impact Shielding' makes friendly units immune when something lands on them (still kills the landing unit)
  • Launcher upgrade 'Ion Emitter' shields 3 tiles backwards (up from 1) and costs 2 (up from 1)
  • Shield passive 'Entanglement' upgrade now costs 2 (up from 1)
  • New Shield passive upgrade 'Phasing' lets the player walk through shield walls

Also cleaned up and improved the game simulation which makes previews for the shield passive and the push weapon more reliable.

v1_3: Improve tip images

v1_4:
  • Fix shield passive preview for friendly guarding units
  • Fix that GetDeathEffect wasn't called in rare cases
  • fix shield preview for some edge cases
  • Fix shields wrapping around when placed off-board
  • Fix vfx of LauncherB+ShieldPassiveA
  • Disable passive weapons when the carrying mech dies

v1_5: Remove dll dependency

v1_7:

Add damage preview for the launcher-landing-square. Known issue: For bought push weapons the aim preview for pushing allies into the landing square while owning the allies-are-immune-to-impacts upgrade will incorrectly show DAMAGE_DEATH.
Last edited by Tarmean on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stylesrj

Re: [Squad] Kinematics

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:25 am

Well, I did a run with this squad. Not sure which version. Probably the latest and...
https://youtu.be/zS617fXyaF4

I really enjoyed it. Setting up combos put a big smile on my face and had me excited even if the situation looked dire.
Tarmean

Postby Tarmean » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks for the video and the feedback! As far as I can tell you played with v1_1 since the new upgrades aren't in yet (and v1.0 crashed because of the dot in the folder name). Shouldn't make a huge difference outside of the upgrade choices being a bit more interesting and the tooltips being less awful in the newer version, though.

Fair warning: save games with the squad will break when upgrading to v1_2 because the internal names changed. In retrospect I probably should have mentioned that in the changelog.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Hmmm, is it possible to have something like if a Flying unit like a friendly Mech or a Hornet or something would lose the Flying tag upon impact with the ground from the Launcher Mech? Like the impact was so traumatic that they can't fly any more.
It would also mean if you lob them in the air, like say over a tile that will turn into lava that they'll drown instantly on contact because the Launcher goes off at the same time as the environment. Not even waiting for it to finish before landing.
Tarmean

Postby Tarmean » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:34 pm

I re-orded some things so the landing happens after all other environment effects. Gonna have to play around with non-flying idea because it feels non-obvious that flying units that you launch above water are going to die. A better damage preview might help?
SwishyFishy400

Postby SwishyFishy400 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:52 pm

Umm... The launched vek never land. Doesn't matter if there's a unit under them or not.
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:37 pm

SwishyFishy400 wrote:Umm... The launched vek never land. Doesn't matter if there's a unit under them or not.

I believe there is a mod conflict with some other modded squad/mod; don't know which one though.

(Not at all sure however; Biohazard063 mentioned it to me)
Discord: ATLAS#9226
SwishyFishy400

Postby SwishyFishy400 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:47 am

Ohhhh.... Wierd.