[Enemies] Evolved Vek

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
cannonfodder

[Enemies] Evolved Vek

Postby cannonfodder » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:49 am

Commander, this timeline is... different. We're getting reports of Vek species we've never encountered before. They're smarter and faster, and they seem to be annihilating Mech squads with brutal efficiency...

WHAT IS EVOLVED VEK?

The Evolved Vek mod adds the three new enemies shown above; the Viper, the Termite, and the Cobra. Each has their own specialty. Some will make you rage, some will silently change your playstyle into something unrecognizable. Each of these enemies can be randomly encountered on the second, third, or fourth islands of a playthrough. Every enemy has all-new artwork and animations and specialized AI. My goal with this mod was to create new and unique battlefield situations. Watch the video below and read the descriptions of each enemy to see what you're up against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuJJAYc1MRg

MEET THE VIPER

A specialized hunter killer, the Viper will make you weep as it abducts your mechs with ruthless efficiency. The Viper can ensnare and pull units out of position immediately, without the typical time delay most other Vek species seem to be afflicted with. Their followup melee attack, thankfully is, however, allowing abducted Mechs to escape with a bit of help from their friends.

• Health: 2 / 4
  • Move: 5 / 5
  • Damage: 1 / 3
  • Flying

The Viper's keen eyesight can easily identify mech classifications, and it seems programmed to go after our artillery support. Keep your artillery behind buildings, mountains, or other mechs to defend against this new threat.

MEET THE TERMITE

A battlefield engineer, the Termite can raise walls of earth to block off parts of the map and damage enemies. An earth-dwelling creature, the Termite bears no heed to obstacles in it's path. However, the Termite isn't meant for direct combat and will temporarily retreat when damaged.

• Health: 2 / 4
  • Move: 5 / 7
  • Damage: 1 / 2
  • Burrowing

The Termite loves to slink around the edge of the combat zone, to lay down the largest amount of wall as possible. Try to position your mechs farther from the middle of the battlefield in order to react to emerging Termites.

MEET THE COBRA

The Cobra is unlike any Vek species we've ever encountered - it's unique reptilian physiology appears to make it immune to the mental atrophy observed in other Vek. The Cobra will instantly attack any mechs that attempt to move near it's position, and it will never accidentally hit it's allies. An extremely dangerous opponent, this timeline's regular mech platoons have been devastated by it's lightning speed.

• Health: 3 / 5
  • Move: 5 / 5
  • Damage: 1 / 2
  • Range: 3 / 5

The Cobra will attempt to seek out narrow chokepoints to lock down, and unlike other Vek it appears to be uninterested in nearby Grid power feeds, focusing solely on our mechs. Fortunately, it's weapon's range is limited. Utilizing artillery and long-range projectile attacks can bring down this Vek without taking any damage.

INSTALLATION GUIDE

STEP 1: Install KartoFlane's Mod Loader here (scroll down for installation instructions): https://github.com/kartoFlane/ITB-ModLoader

STEP 2: Install my requisite mod Reflexive Fire here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=32983

STEP 3: Download Evolved Vek here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7xaq2pqu65t4 ... k.zip?dl=1

STEP 4: Move evolvedvek.zip into your Mods folder and extract it so that the file path looks like this:

Now open Into the Breach, go to the Mod Content button on the main menu, then click Configure Mods. If both Evolved Vek and Reflexive Fire show up in the list, you've installed it correctly. You'll also notice a gear icon to the right - click on that to open up the options. Here you can enable or disable each enemy. Keep in mind to never disable an enemy and then load a savegame. To reset the spawning system you must restart ITB and begin a new playthrough.

VERSION HISTORY

1.0.0 - Initial release
1.0.1 - Added portraits and fixed bugs
1.0.2 - Fixed graphical glitch

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: I love the idea of Vipers but I hate Webs, can I just change that?

A: Open up the lua files and poke around for a bit, a lot of stuff is easily customizable.

Q: I don't like X. Can you change it to Y?

A: Leave a comment down below with your reasons and a suggestion on how to fix the problem. I'll get a patch out as quickly as possible.

Q: The Viper's wings aren't animated.

A: If you're really annoyed with it then make it yourself. The wing flutter animation is insanely complicated and I didn't feel it was worth the effort.

Q: What's that mod in the above screenshot that I've never heard of?

A: Hive War is my next project. Stay tuned.

Q: How the heck did you make this thing?!

A: With the help of a lot of people on the ITB Discord! Come and discuss modding with us: https://discord.gg/bzz6csg
Last edited by cannonfodder on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My name is Cannonfodder on Subset Forums, but I am also known as NotSoLoneWolf on Discord which I prefer as a name
cannonfodder

Re: [Enemies] Evolved Vek

Postby cannonfodder » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 am

A new update is available featuring new portraits for each Vek, as well as a number of AI improvements and bugfixes. Simply re-download Evolved Vek using the link in the main post that I've updated with the new version. I would also recommend reinstalling Reflexive Fire as well, I fixed the issue of Reflex Fire triggering on the Minelayer NPCs on Pinnacle Island.

A preview of the true face of our enemy:
My name is Cannonfodder on Subset Forums, but I am also known as NotSoLoneWolf on Discord which I prefer as a name
Jumbocarrot0

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Hello! First off, this is a great mod.
I've noticed that with the termite's emerge animation on frame eight there are some stray pixels to the top right of the termite.
I looked at the problem and it seems the pixels are from the left-most pixels in frame nine of the termite's 'prongs.'
This is an incredibly small bug, but it doesn't make it any less annoying whenever a termite emerges.
cannonfodder

Postby cannonfodder » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 am

Oh! You're completely correct - not sure how I missed that. I've fixed the graphical oddity and updated the download link in the main post. Thank you!
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Hey, I know this is an older post but I was trying out this mod when I finally encountered cobras. Only problem is that they did not do anything (though I was planning for it) and they did not even show that eye symbol on the tiles that they could attack as shown in the video. Disappointing but maybe their is a conflict with another mod? Not sure, but these Vek look pretty promising for new enemies, though that termite looks ridiculous, gotta play against it and see.
cannonfodder

Postby cannonfodder » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Robert Scythe wrote:Hey, I know this is an older post but I was trying out this mod when I finally encountered cobras. Only problem is that they did not do anything (though I was planning for it) and they did not even show that eye symbol on the tiles that they could attack as shown in the video. Disappointing but maybe their is a conflict with another mod? Not sure, but these Vek look pretty promising for new enemies, though that termite looks ridiculous, gotta play against it and see.

Did you install Reflexive Fire as well?
Robert Scythe

Postby Robert Scythe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:09 am

Whoops, obviously not. I had been considering this mod for awhile but had read somewhere in another mod I was using that it may have issues with this one. I then finally decided to try this one and then forgot to do the steps when downloading. Hopefully it will not mess with the run I'm doing adding Reflexive Fire late, plus I am certain that my few encounters would have worked out properly since I planned for the attacks so I do not feel like a cheat with them not reacting as of yet. Oh, well, thanks for the reminder, looking forward to playing it now!
nopro0

Postby nopro0 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:52 am

I found this fix for 1.2 that Protostar909 made on Discord:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... olders.zip