[Squad] Tamed Monsters

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
Djinn

[Squad] Tamed Monsters

Postby Djinn » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:53 pm

[SOMEWHERE, SOMEWHEN, IN DETRITUS]
”Director Sult, we must once again protest.”
“Mm-mhm?”
“You know full well why we’re here today. The TM-01 program was never formally approved, and your funding was frozen. And yet we’re hearing reports that your work has continued apace - accelerated even. I’m not sure where you’re getting your cash flow, but with the Vek incursions across the globe, we haven’t the time or resources to allocate to this farce! ”
“Ah, well, that’s where you’re wrong. With breach technology -”
“Speaking of farces, that’s never been prov-”
With breach technology, we have time and resources to spare. Frankly, I no longer need your funding or your permission.”
“W-What are you saying?”
“I’m saying…”
“The ‘Tamed Monsters’ are ready for service against the Vek, whether you like it or not.”

A squad of engineered giant beasts, clad in heavy armour and tightly controlled by a brave handler, the Tamed Monsters are a force to be reckoned with.

Stun Line - Shift Adjacent target away from their position in any direction.
    Confuse (1 Core) - Flips target attack direction
    Damage +1 (2 Core) - Attack now does 1 Damage
Vek Bait - Deploys an armored, tasty bait pod in a nearby tile to draw Vek attention - drops A.C.I.D. in its tile when destroyed.
    Pheromone Emitter (1 Core) - Bait gains an attack that force an adjacent target to consume it, moving into its square.
    A.C.I.D. Burst (2 Core) - Bait now drops A.C.I.D. in adjacent tiles on death.
Raging Claws - Bats an opponent to the side with bestial strength, sending them flying and confusing them.
    High Angle (1 Core) - Gain additional range; target unit pushes adjacent squares in direction of travel on impact.
    Gruesome Kill (2 Core) - Killing target damages Vek adjacent to landing zone.
Impaling Spines - Launches a volley of razor spikes that can either damage an enemy or lay a trap for the unwary
    Barbed Spikes (2 Core) - Spikes deal 2 Damage, both on direct impact and when laid as traps.
    Spike Burst (2 Core) - On KO, drop Spikes in adjacent tiles.
DEVOUR
The Beasts are truly another breed. Each Beast has their ‘Repair’ button replaced with Devour, which allows them to consume an adjacent 1 HP Vek - or building! - to heal and clear status effects. This does not consume your action, allowing the Beasts to savage a group of mortally wounded Vek before or after they move - as long as it’s before they perform an attack!

Download them here!

ACHIEVEMENTS
Comes packaged with achievements - some are tricky, but all are doable!
Spike The Punch - Lay 10 spikes on the Field in a single mission
Beastly Hunger - Use Devour 6 times in a single mission
Funky Dunks - Use Raging Claws to throw a flaming Vek onto A.C.I.D covered Spikes
Completion of all of the above will unlock a Secret Pilot to be found in subsequent Time Pods!

THANKS
Thanks to the ITB Discord for making this dream come true, but especially Lemonymous, Tosx, Truelch, Hedera, NamesAreHard, and others I’ve shamefully forgotten! I’ve been kicking this squad idea around for the better part of two years, and it was only thanks to your help I managed to get it out there!

UPDATES

Code: Select all

- Initial

- Fixed error in Achievements (accidentally made something too easy, oops!)

- Keeper Mech: fixed Confuse display, making it easier to see when there's damage AND confuse icons up.
- Raging Beast/Raging Claw: removed confuse effect on attack - it really wasn't adding much, and it was more confusing than useful in practice for the player.
- Raging Beast/Raging Claw: removed Furious Advance upgrade and replaced it with Gruesome Kill upgrade (see description above). Cracking tiles didn't really fit the theme, since you want to keep Vek around to pop on spikes or to eat them.

- Thanks to new update, Beasts can no longer get Invulnerable or Popular Hero abilities.

- Lots and lots of tiny fixes to remove dependency on old libraries that broke everything and required me to rebuild all achievements almost from scratch. Net difference to the user? None that are visible! But trust me, it's better!

- Added all weapons to Weapon Deck
Last edited by Djinn on Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
nopro0

Re: [Squad] Tamed Monsters

Postby nopro0 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:07 pm

I love the short introduction for the tamed monsters. Can't wait to try them out!
AzureLazuline

Re: [Squad] Tamed Monsters

Postby AzureLazuline » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:56 am

This is such a cool idea for a squad! I love the asymmetry of it, I never would've thought to make something with only 1 mech in it. The devour mechanic is super interesting too, I've gotten some really satisfying chains with it! I got to eat all the boom-bots one by one, healing off the explosion damage each time. :D

If you're still interested in updating it, I think Keeper Mech should have a different default palette than the beasts to focus on the asymmetry even more, and I think Impaling Beast spikes could always have +2 damage when they're on the ground to encourage setups more? It feels really weak compared to the other two. The kill upgrade also never triggers since I just eat them if they're at low HP. :lol:

This is super cool though, it's such a fresh take on a custom squad! It's something that's too weird to be in the normal game, but it fits the world in a unique way, which is the exact right point for a mod to hit.