[Squad] Frost Throne - ver 2.1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
narD

[Squad] Frost Throne - ver 2.1.0

Postby narD » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:41 am

<Latest version(2.1.0) >
You can download them here(requires the modloaderto work).

Frost Mech
Frost Hammer : Smash the ground, creating ice tile and pushing adjacent tile.
- 2 cores: Instead ice tile, create broken ice tile.
- 3 cores: Increases damage by 2.

IceJet Mech
Frost Bombs : Fly over targets, flipping their attack direction and creating Ice tiles.
- 1 cores: Increase range by 1.
- 2 cores: Increases damage by 1.

Icicle Mech
Frost Cannon : Fire a non-damaging projectile that creates ice as it passes and pushes targets along both sides of the path.
- 2 cores: Instead ice tile, create broken ice tile.

<Demo Video (2.0.0)>
Demo Video1

<Old versions>
*Download Link (2.0.6)
https://github.com/inuit57/Frost-Throne/releases/download/2.0.6/Frost.Throne.zip
*Download Link (1.0.0)
https://github.com/inuit57/Frost_Throne-ITB_Mode-/archive/1.1.0.zip

* Weapon Image
https://github.com/inuit57/Frost_Throne-ITB_Mode-/releases/tag/1.1.0

< Credit >
- Graphic support : tosx
- Play testing : Rithaniel, Xenesis
- Mech & weapons artwork : Owyeayea
and thanks to many discord friends. :)
Last edited by narD on Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.
narD

Re: [Squad] Frost Throne - ver 1.0.0

Postby narD » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:04 am

tosx

Postby tosx » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:41 am

Hmm, so I thought this squad looked overpowered, but I just lost horribly on island 1 (Hard). For reference, the only other active mods were Cauldron pilots, starting pilot "leap when moving in a line", and Island Missions (Storm Tower mission came up). Started on RST, no hornets, blast psions.

I won't pretend I played super well since it was my first time with them, but I found there were a LOT of map layouts where I was completely helpless to affect Vek. The 2 pushing mechs are both very restricted on where they can push Vek, and the Science can only help so much. Even with a pilot that gave more move options I still either couldn't reach tiles I needed to, or those tiles simply didn't exist. It was particularly rough when there were layouts with building-vek-building; most squads would just push the vek straight through, but this squad has a lot of trouble with that.

The interactions with ice tiles are super cool, introducing water in a very roundabout way that makes it hard to abuse for quick kills, but that also meant I was not killing Vek quickly at all. Then more would arrive and things would spiral, since despite my attacks affecting so many tiles, Vek were almost never in the specific arrangements I needed.

Since I couldn't kill Vek and I couldn't move them, I failed ~4 objectives and lost all my grid during the first boss.

I haven't gone to scrutinize your playthroughs and see how I should have played them, so don't go change them just because of the above comments. I do plan to try them again at some point. Do you find them balanced yourself? Are they still getting additional changes?
narD

Postby narD » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:42 am

tosx wrote:Hmm, so I thought this squad looked overpowered, but I just lost horribly on island 1 (Hard). For reference, the only other active mods were Cauldron pilots, starting pilot "leap when moving in a line", and Island Missions (Storm Tower mission came up). Started on RST, no hornets, blast psions.

I won't pretend I played super well since it was my first time with them, but I found there were a LOT of map layouts where I was completely helpless to affect Vek. The 2 pushing mechs are both very restricted on where they can push Vek, and the Science can only help so much. Even with a pilot that gave more move options I still either couldn't reach tiles I needed to, or those tiles simply didn't exist. It was particularly rough when there were layouts with building-vek-building; most squads would just push the vek straight through, but this squad has a lot of trouble with that.

The interactions with ice tiles are super cool, introducing water in a very roundabout way that makes it hard to abuse for quick kills, but that also meant I was not killing Vek quickly at all. Then more would arrive and things would spiral, since despite my attacks affecting so many tiles, Vek were almost never in the specific arrangements I needed.

Since I couldn't kill Vek and I couldn't move them, I failed ~4 objectives and lost all my grid during the first boss.

I haven't gone to scrutinize your playthroughs and see how I should have played them, so don't go change them just because of the above comments. I do plan to try them again at some point. Do you find them balanced yourself? Are they still getting additional changes?

I'll have to take a video as a test.
Personally, I tried to make them stronger than average, but I tried to give them some weaknesses.

There are currently no major changes planned.
tosx

Postby tosx » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Figured I'd copy my Discord comments here for posterity:

Completed a 4-Island hard run with default weapons only. I got 1 or 2 perfect island rewards, but I did lose grid on every island and the first phase of the final mission (I lost a LOT of grid!).

Silica in the Drako felt like MVP (the other pilots I used were somewhat intentionally low-impact mod pilots).

It did feel like the minimum damage upgrade on ranged mech is a bit of a penalty; without it they struggle a lot with Burrowers, but with it, you lose your best tool to move enemies away from buildings. I did sorta feel like once they started to get overwhelmed, things tended to go downhill fast, because they need some space to avoid causing collateral. But overall they felt pretty balanced, and definitely thinky; nice work.

(For reference, island 3 with burrowers and spiders was what almost cost me the run; webbing really hurts them, and 2 mechs have a hard time with burrowers. I went down to 1 grid twice.)
AstroNuno

Postby AstroNuno » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm

I finished the game with these Mechs, but like other players say, I had a bit of difficulty. The second Mechs is dependent on the 3rd to make damage, the weapon upgrades felt a bit excessive, and make little difference when dealing damage. It's just my opinion, but I feel the weapons and damage system needs to be redesigned. But it's not all bad! The Mechs look nice and the first one totally reminds me of the War Hammer Titan from Attack on Titan! :lol: :D
narD

Re: [Squad] Frost Throne - ver 2.0.0

Postby narD » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:07 am

2.0.0. updated. :)
narD

Re: [Squad] Frost Throne - ver 2.0.6

Postby narD » Tue May 18, 2021 7:47 am

narD

Re: [Squad] Frost Throne - ver 2.1.0

Postby narD » Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 am

https://youtu.be/JYofOOMx2c4

2.1.0 update