FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
SirMilagres

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby SirMilagres » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Well, I agree that unlocking ships only by beating the game takes out some of the fun.
On the other hand the actual method is too much luck based. I have almost 100 hours of game and still didn't unlocked all ships. Don't get me wrong, I like this way (better than just win-to-unlock) but there could be changes...

One thing I don't like is that I MUST google it in order to know how to unlock ships. And I'm kinda old school, I LIKE to figure things out. But how the heck could I know that I could only unlock the Mantis ship with both medbay lv. 2 and teleport? Or how to get crystal cruiser? I like figuring things out but not if the only way of doing so is by replaying hundreds of time and trying every choice possible.
That said, I do like the unlocking type B ships method. It tells me how to do it. So, couldn't you guys use this to unlock other ships?
Like an achievement where I must defeat the rebel flagship with either Engi A or B using only drones and ion weapons. (doesn't have to be this one. Its just an example of how using an achievement in order to unlock other ships and still making it challeging enough)

Another idea is keeping the quest-to-unlock but you could collect intel on how to unlock ships. Example, on random event at a beacon you learn that there is a Zoltan ship spreading words of peace and enlightenment and, if you sucessfully manage to share their peacefull ways you'll unlock the Zoltan cruiser.
You doesn't need to got ALL the intel from one beacon, instead you could get from multiple beacons. In one you learn that you need a slug member to unlock slug cruiser. On another you learn that also sensors lv. 2 could do the work. On a third beacon you get that you must not destroy the ship, instead accept their surrender.
Putting the pieces together you'll know how to unlock it (of course this intel shouldn't be mandatory in order to unlock a ship otherwise it would be too hard and even more luck based)

And ALL of this info unlocked is 'saved' so you can re-read it anytime you want (just by accessing the DATA file from the main menu, or something like it).
SirMilagres

Postby SirMilagres » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 pm

[quote="SirMilagres"]
Another idea is keeping the quest-to-unlock but you could collect intel on how to unlock ships. Example, on random event at a beacon you learn that there is a Zoltan ship spreading words of peace and enlightenment and, if you sucessfully manage to share their peacefull ways you'll unlock the Zoltan cruiser.
You doesn't need to got ALL the intel from one beacon, instead you could get from multiple beacons. In one you learn that you need a slug member to unlock slug cruiser. On another you learn that also sensors lv. 2 could do the work. On a third beacon you get that you must not destroy the ship, instead accept their surrender.
Putting the pieces together you'll know how to unlock it (of course this intel shouldn't be mandatory in order to unlock a ship otherwise it would be too hard and even more luck based).[/quote]

I just realized that doing this wouldn't make it any easier, it just help those who don't google the game.
Well, to fix that the game could increase the odds of certain encounter if it happens the player got all pieces of intel of certain ship...
VincentTH

Postby VincentTH » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm

I agree with unlocking ships by completing the boss map will render the game unchallenging.

On the other hand, can the devs narrow down the outlook for the advanced version, now that we are in the "Early 2014" time frame. late Jan, Feb, mid March etc... should suffice.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:06 am

[quote="VincentTH"]I agree with unlocking ships by completing the boss map will render the game unchallenging.

On the other hand, can the devs narrow down the outlook for the advanced version, now that we are in the "Early 2014" time frame. late Jan, Feb, mid March etc... should suffice.[/quote]

I think less specific for now, just what month.
VincentTH

Postby VincentTH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Seriously, the problem is the IPad version. In order to sell that app on iTunes, the devs need to submit the apps for testing to Apple before they can sell the app. It goes without saying that you'd never know if or when Apple would approve the app.

We just need to be told what is the status of the Advanced version (Alpha, beta, submitted for testing to Apple etc...)
SirMilagres

Postby SirMilagres » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Why not launch the PC version (assuming its finished) and launch the iOS version when apple finallly approve it?

That said, I don't mind waiting though. I mean, I REALLY want to play it now, but I understand quality work needs time. So, take as much time as you want, just don't launch the game before its really finished. (the version is FREE, we can't really complain, can we?)
yomer123123

Postby yomer123123 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:45 pm

[quote="SirMilagres"]Why not launch the PC version (assuming its finished) and launch the iOS version when apple finallly approve it?

That said, I don't mind waiting though. I mean, I REALLY want to play it now, but I understand quality work needs time. So, take as much time as you want, just don't launch the game before its really finished. (the version is FREE, we can't really complain, can we?)[/quote]

No we can't.
Besides, If we could wait for the game to be released so much time ago. We can also wait for a big update.
Flotilla

Postby Flotilla » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 am

I really hope this alternative unlock method is implemented. One of the major downsides of FTL (IMO) was having a great deal of content tied to random events, so I'm very happy that the dev is attempting to remove the problem.
garface111

Postby garface111 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Are we going to be getting a release date? Ive been waiting since the new year and have gotten nothing but "steam machine hands on" stuff. Just wondering. Thanks
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:42 pm

[quote="garface111"]Are we going to be getting a release date? Ive been waiting since the new year and have gotten nothing but "steam machine hands on" stuff. Just wondering. Thanks[/quote]

I also look in the freaking steam update news very often, but nothing. :(
We would love to get a progress report from you awesome guys! :)