Developer's log, Stardate 9.14.12: FTL released!

Official posts about the development of the game.
SushaBrancaleone

Re: Developer's log, Stardate 9.14.12: FTL released!

Postby SushaBrancaleone » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 pm

wow I can post on a page where the OP and the DEV are the same person?!!

viva indie games and indie devs

Justin and Matthew thanks so much for this wonderful game, recently I have been disappointed by so many big game devs and their new games (diablo 3 & swtor to name a few of the games) seeing that it is possible for 2 people to create something more fun and beautiful with simple graphics and great gameplay is.. galvanizing. You show em boys :)

so on a side note, are you guys gonna expand the game or just patch it? It would BE AWESOME to have more content to explore. maybe more ships? any plans on regards you could share with us.

once again thanx for the great game
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey, I'm new-ish to FTL, and found it through TotalBiscuit's "WTF is..." videos. Bit of a shame I didn't hear about it sooner, I would have loved to beta test. Congrats on completing work on the game, and a huge thank you! It's one of the best games I've played in a long time, with hours of replay value (those achievements are damn hard to get :P) I was wondering if you and Matt will be bringing out official updates or DLC for FTL? Or will you leave it to the modding community to keep the game on it's feet?
acburst

Postby acburst » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Ive been hooked on this game ever since I bought it. If there is any plans for a DLC expansion I would totally buy it!
callo1812

Postby callo1812 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:57 pm

DLC wat ya dunna dooooooo
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Yea, this game is great, but as all of this kind of games, it will need some extra content, or great updates to keep it alive. Even if the modding community is great (a bit small, but this game is recent), we will need more than that to keep this game alive. And i think this game has great potential to be awarded by extra dlcs, or great improvements. But one thing i noticed in the main page is the lack of information about the game / future plans for it. I only hope this game grows, like other ones out there did thanks to the great continuos developing on em from their authors.
MoD1982

Postby MoD1982 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Just thought I'd pop a line to the developers to say thank you for a great game. I've racked up a few hours now and still managing to find new ways of playing it(still only defeated the mothership twice!) and keep things fresh.

So yeah, thanks :) Can't wait to see what's planned for the future!
iceburg333

Postby iceburg333 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I love Skyrim.
The huge open world, realistic NPCs, long quests, and beautiful art.
Today I look at games like Skyrim, or Halo 4, or the new call of duties: games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars and employ hundreds of people for years, and that tax even the most powerful computers to deliver their stunning graphics. How could a company as small as two men be competitive in a market like that?

And yet, FTL, with its text based adventure, 2d graphics, and Star Trek theme, has completely captured my imagination. I find myself more excited to tell people about what my 32bit helmsmen just did than what my fully voiced companion NPC has been up to. (When have you seen so many stories told about Skyrim, Halo, or COD?) When I don't have time to play, I afford time to contemplating better survival strategies. The rogue like save system forces me to regret my decisions, and make them without apathy. The simple graphics perfectly meet the game play: clean and unconfused. I have yet to find a moment in FTL that is drudgery, that isn't exciting and compelling. I find myself still tense at reading the text of a hard choice, even when I've taken each path multiple times. I realize now that the Star Trek theme was merely a hook into something more: a truly balanced game that is unlike anything I've played before. And this is what stuns me about FTL. It proves that a game needs neither scale nor massive budget to be quality. That a tightly balanced game can spur the imagination without elaborate graphics, can pulse the blood without headshots, can evoke pity, compassion, and anger merely through text, and can elate the heart's hunger for adventure, without a 3d world to explore. It's like a boardgame for the computer, a true choose-your-own-adventure-book, a fast paced strategy game, and a perfect excuse to tell your friends about the time you vented the air locks while redirecting all power to weapons.
I love your game,
Iceburg
Mossy

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you. I haven't played a game this compelling for as long as I can remember. I could waffle on but I'm sure everything I would say has been said before. So once more, thank you.
bazuden

Postby bazuden » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi. Just some more kudos for this excellent game.

You would have heard this a million times by now, but please consider making a mobile version. I, for one, would gladly pay again to play FTL on my iPad.
the truthseeker

Postby the truthseeker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Thank you for such a wonderful game that I have lost who knows how many hours to (since I play the standalone not Steam, I'd have to guess several hundred instead of look it up :) ) I hope to see more innovation from you folks (if not this game because that's it regarding future content releases, then the next one you work on!)