Run-Ending Misclicks

General discussion about the game.
Rithaniel

Run-Ending Misclicks

Postby Rithaniel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 am

So, I'm new to the game, with only about 15 hours in it so far. I've been playing on hard, naturally, with just the standard starter mechs.

Most of my runs have ended on the R.S.T. island, but, this last run, I was doing quite well. I got a perfect on the first island, got an unstable cannon, a pilot who let me move after shooting, and a smoke strike, started sailing through missions without any real problem. Finish R.S.T., beat the snow island, and, after that, got started on the toxic island.

I thought I was unbeatable, but then, I'm doing a mission, have a weapon armed, thinking about my possible moves, and accidentally click. I shoot one of my mechs for 4 damage, killing the pilot and destroying the mech, pushing the mech that took the shot backwards into a building so that the grid is damaged, and leaving me with only one mech left to act, which is currently webbed by a spider egg and unable to move to a more useful position, so I pop it's smoke strike to try and delay as many enemies as possible.

I fail to do anything about the current swarm of enemies, and, next round, even more vek show up. I have two mechs left standing, and there is nothing I can do to stem the flood. I get one round of actions before the enemies attack, none of the attacks are resisted (even though I had a 30% chance of them being resisted), and my entire grid goes from full to completely empty in one round of attacks.

One misclick ended my entire run. And to add insult to injury, when I clicked, a pilot came up with a speech bubble, saying "It's for the greater good."

I am still more that slightly frustrated by this, and the worst part is that this isn't the first time that a misclick has ruined what would have otherwise been a good situation.

What about you guys? Have you experienced similar situations?
5thHorseman

Re: Run-Ending Misclicks

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm

During beta, I asked for an option to allow left-click to select, right-click to shoot (or vice-versa). Sadly they opted to not do this. They did add the orange lines to the board to give you an indication that you had selected a weapon, but still - thankfully on much rarer occasions - I still do this.

Could you not have rewound?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Rithaniel

Postby Rithaniel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

See, being new to game, I didn't even know the rewind mechanic existed. I googled it just now after you mentioned it, but I still don't know how to activate it.

Though, yes, chances are that I would have been able to do so.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Sorry it's termed "reset" in the game. It's a button on the screen at the top. Here's an image I just pulled off of Google, it's just to the right of the 31% grid defense.

My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Rithaniel

Postby Rithaniel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:20 pm

See, this is what happens when I don't read all the stuff on screen.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Don't worry too much about it. The time will come when you accidentally shoot a teammate, reset, and then accidentally shoot someone else on the next turn and your reset is all used up.

The good news is, the more often you do it the less likely you will do it in the future. I've not torpedoed a run in quite some time now.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Matheny

Postby Matheny » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:38 pm

You say that, 5thHorseman, but I don't seem to be getting better at all. haha