Am I doing something wrong?

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Re: Am I doing something wrong?

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:07 pm

When you enter sector 3, you should at least have Engines 5 and Shields 4 (2 bubbles) and your goal should be to leave the sector with Shields 3.

This means that the VAST bulk of your scrap should go into those, only spending scrap on Weapons you can instantly get benefit from or some AMAZING augments.

Also, knowing by heart most encounters - and ALL encounters that can kill crew or damage your ship - is pretty critical.

You should never "repair all" at a station. Never repair more than 20 hull. More is a waste of scrap, because generally anything that can do 20 damage to you can do 30, and any time you "repair all" and then get free repairs in the field, you wasted those free repairs.

Ideally, you should leave every sector the turn before the rebels hit the final jump point. If you can get through it without too much damage, you should jump to the exit jump from the last possible turn that the rebels would overtake an adjacent jump. Rebels don't have artillery support in a nebula so generally those fights you can tough it out and escape with little damage, in exchange for sometimes 2-3 more other jumps that will net you more scrap.

Never run out of fuel. Ever. I tend to stock up to 15 or so fuel on every station if possible, except in sectors 6-7 where I fade back the amount stored. Every turn you're sitting waiting for one of the terrible "out of fuel" options, you're missing jump points with decent scrap opportunities.

Note, I not once discussed how to fight. It's not nearly as important as overpowering (most of) your enemies by amassing and correctly spending your scrap.

Those are all just general suggestions. I would further suggest you watch a good YouTube player. I humbly submit myself as one such player, though I was far better years ago than I am now. I'd start here were I you, with my first Kestrel run on Advanced Edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiW2hDrS3c
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
nevebryant

Postby nevebryant » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 am

5thHorseman wrote:When you enter sector 3, you should at least have Engines 5 and Shields 4 (2 bubbles) and your goal should be to leave the sector with Shields 3.

This means that the VAST bulk of your scrap should go into those, only spending scrap on Weapons you can instantly get benefit from or some AMAZING augments.

Also, knowing by heart most encounters - and ALL encounters that can kill crew or damage your ship - is pretty critical.

You should never "repair all" at a station. Never repair more than 20 hull. More is a waste of scrap, because generally anything that can do 20 damage to you can do 30, and any time you "repair all" and then get free repairs in the field, you wasted those free repairs.

Ideally, you should leave every sector the turn before the rebels hit the final jump point. If you can get through it without too much damage, you should jump to the exit jump from the last possible turn that the rebels would overtake an adjacent jump. Rebels don't have artillery support in a nebula so generally those fights you can tough it out and escape with little damage, in exchange for sometimes 2-3 more other jumps that will net you more scrap.

Never run out of fuel. Ever. I tend to stock up to 15 or so fuel on every station if possible, except in sectors 6-7 where I fade back the amount stored. Every turn you're sitting waiting for one of the terrible "out of fuel" options, you're missing jump points with decent scrap opportunities.

Note, I not once discussed how to fight. It's not nearly as important as overpowering (most of) your enemies by amassing and correctly spending your scrap.

Those are all just general suggestions. I would further suggest you watch a good YouTube player. I humbly submit myself as one such player, though I was far better years ago than I am now. I'd start here were I you, with my first Kestrel run on Advanced Edition:
9xmovies

I tend to stock up to 15 or so fuel on every station if possible, except in sectors 6-7 where I fade back the amount stored. What is the meaning of this line?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:48 pm

nevebryant wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:I tend to stock up to 15 or so fuel on every station if possible, except in sectors 6-7 where I fade back the amount stored.

What is the meaning of this line?

What I mean is that I try to leave every store I go to with 15 fuel, prioritizing it over moderate upgrades but not something awesome that will really help. That way, if I ever have a long period where I don't go to a store and get little fuel from encounters, I'll still have fuel on my ship.

In the final sectors that's less important as you can get through an entire sector with 15 fuel without picking up any at all, and you always pick up SOME along the way. And you can go to sector 8 with your final fuel because they give you 10 when you arrive and that's enough to complete the rest of the game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."