Just purchased ITB even though I can't play it yet – Waiting for a Mac version!

General discussion about the game.
FasterThanHeavy

Just purchased ITB even though I can't play it yet – Waiting for a Mac version!

Postby FasterThanHeavy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 am

FTL brought me many days* of tears and joy so I'd been waiting for your next game ever since you announced it. ITB looks like everything I love: isometric, turn-based, strategy? Oh my, instabuy!

I'm on a Mac so I can't play it just yet. Gonna try running it in CrossOver or Parallels, something that I haven't done for any other game in a long time.

Do you guys have a timeframe for a macOS release? I have FTL on every platform it was released on. Always preferred playing it on the iPad though; there's just something about these games that lends itself very well to tablets (and I find tapping with multiple fingers quicker and more convenient than using mouse+keyboard.) Hope ITB makes it to iOS too! I've a feeling it'll be a hit on the App Store as well. :)

* (as in combined overall playtime, but I've been enjoying FTL for over a year)
Last edited by FasterThanHeavy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Sufi

Re: Just purchased ITB even though I can't play it yet – Waiting for a Mac version!

Postby Flying Sufi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:48 am

Same here, already bought and waiting impatiently for the mac version... This looks like a game I could really enjoy !
:)
DeanBDean

Re: Just purchased ITB even though I can't play it yet – Waiting for a Mac version!

Postby DeanBDean » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Good news for you all, I have only played Into the Breach on MacOS. It runs great in WINE for me. Here's a quick run down of what I did to get Into the Breach running from Steam in MacOS.

First I installed WINE via homebrew. Homebrew is a widely used package manager for Macs. Since I'm a developer, I already had homebrew installed, but it's simple enough if you don't.

https://brew.sh/

Next you'll need to run a few installs with brew. First you'll need to install brew cask. Cask is just an extension of brew that allows one to install applications (like WINE). Just copy and paste the following and then hit enter in your terminal.

Code: Select all

brew tap caskroom/cask

Next you'll need to install WINE. We'll actually install the wineskin-winery, which allows you to install multiple versions of WINE and easily generate new wrappers.

brew cask install wineskin-winery

When this is done, you should be able to open Wineskin Winery. Either search your applications folder, or use Command + Space to search for Wineskin Winery. Open up that application. You'll see a pretty simple little UI. You'll see an empty list of "Installed Engines", followed vertically by a +/-. Click on the plus, and in the screen that pops up hit the Download and Install Version. As of this writing, this will install WS9Wine2.22. After that installs, select WS9Wine2.22 in the list of installed engines, and click the Create New Blank Wrapper at the bottom of the UI.

You'll see an option to name your new wrapper. I named my SteamWIN, since I have Steam for Mac also installed, but you can name it whatever you want. Well, anything you want without special characters. Click to confirm creating the new wrapper. If it recommends installing certain packages while it's creating, go ahead and do so.

When it's done generating the wrapper, Winery should tell you Wrapper Creation Finished. It'll give you the option to View Wrapper In Finder. Click that one.

You should see your newly created wrapper in a Finder window. Right click it, and click the menu option Show Package Contents.

You should see a new Finder view. Double click the icon labeled Wineskin. Click Install Software, then Choose Setup Executable.

Now go download the Windows Steam installer. Just go here http://store.steampowered.com/about/ and click the Windows version. Remember where you save it. Then go back to the setup executable chooser window, and choose the steam installer you downloaded. Run through the Steam setup steps that pop up, and tell Steam to run once it's started. Once Steam updates, you should be able to login to your Steam account, and then download Into The Breach. The Steam UI will look a little rough, and performance of it may be degraded, but once you launch Into the Breach it should run great.

I don't have any issues, outside of not being able to do true full screen. Also, if you close out everything, you just have to run your new wrapper and it'll automatically just open up your windows instance of Steam. Hope this works as well for you all as it does for me.
mSum

Postby mSum » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:14 pm

I too would like to know when Subset thinks a mac version will be released.

FTL and Advance Wars are two of my favorite games of all time! I know I'll love this game....super disappointed it didn't launch on Mac. I may try the wine thing but I didn't have success using wine when I tried to get Warcraft 3 working. I watched several tutorials and spent hours trying and it never worked for me.
Luis

Postby Luis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Another one waiting for the Mac version. I hope it doesn't take too long!
Dashorox

Postby Dashorox » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

I got the Windows GOG installer working on MacOS High Sierra by doing the following:

1.) Download and installed XQuartz 2.7 (https://www.xquartz.org/)
2.) Disabled Gatekeeper on MacOS:

sudo spctl --master-disable

3.) Download and installed Wine 3.0 (https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html)
4.) Ran the GOG EXE installer - Dependencies auto-installed, game launched!

Total time: 10 minutes
mSum

Postby mSum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Dashorox wrote:I got the Windows GOG installer working on MacOS High Sierra by doing the following:

1.) Download and installed XQuartz 2.7 (https://www.xquartz.org/)
2.) Disabled Gatekeeper on MacOS:

sudo spctl --master-disable

3.) Download and installed Wine 3.0 (https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html)
4.) Ran the GOG EXE installer - Dependencies auto-installed, game launched!

Total time: 10 minutes

What does gatekeeper do?
FasterThanHeavy

Postby FasterThanHeavy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:46 am

mSum wrote:
Dashorox wrote:What does gatekeeper do?

Prevents you from running "unsigned" applications. It's set under System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General.

You don't necessarily need to disable it completely (which can, of course, open you up to malware, depending on your diligence). When you need to run an unsigned app, just right-click/Control-click on the app icon, and manually click on "Open" from that menu. It will ask for your admin password if needed, then permanently add that app to the system whitelist (until the app file/bundle is modified I think).
raguay

Postby raguay » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 am

I purchased it on Steam thinking it was on macOS. But, since it isn't yet, I'm still playing it on CrossOver and Parallels. Since my Parallels VM is Windows XP, Steam will not be supporting it after this year. So, I'm using CrossOver for now and it is working fine.

CrossOver is the commercial version of Wine. It's created and maintained by the same company, but Wine releases are typically several months behind CrossOver. I had to update to the latest version and set the bottle to Windows 10 to get it to work fine.