Unknown Ship Video Series [SPOILER]

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
PeteZone

Unknown Ship Video Series [SPOILER]

Postby PeteZone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Well here is the first part of my Unknown "Crystal Cruiser" Ship video series I'm going to develop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzIBI54vRg

I'm very much loving this ship for it's sheer power and availability of 4 weapon systems! You could say it's a better version of the default cruiser. But anyway, please subscribe, comment, like and share this video! It'd be much appreciated.
apostateCourier

Re: Unknown Ship Video Series [SPOILER]

Postby apostateCourier » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Some notes-

When an enemy is powering up their FTL drive, go after their engines and their helm. Don't overkill on targeting one system, spread the damage out so they have to repair in more places, and so their capabilities are lowered or eliminated in as many ways as possible. Also, please be more careful with menu options!

I look forward to the rest of the series =)
PeteZone

Postby PeteZone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 pm

apostateCourier wrote:Some notes-

When an enemy is powering up their FTL drive, go after their engines and their helm. Don't overkill on targeting one system, spread the damage out so they have to repair in more places, and so their capabilities are lowered or eliminated in as many ways as possible. Also, please be more careful with menu options!

I look forward to the rest of the series =)

Thanks for the constructive criticism Courier. I'll take that into account next time, thanks. Also, what do you mean by being more careful with the menu options?

Anyways, I've been getting dislikes on the video? Why do you think I've been getting so many of them?
Eyjio

Postby Eyjio » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm

It's pointless to focus on shields if they only have one layer - your weapons pass straight through anyway, so you may as well just target their weapons and bridge, thus stopping them being able to either retaliate or dodge. You can target the engines instead of the bridge but they usually require more damage to stop, whereas 1/2 shots to the pilot will stop all dodging, plus as there's almost always someone in there (unless it's automated) it will hurt them too.

Also, please try and sound a bit more enthusiastic. It's okay currently but not hugely engaging - it doesn't really sound like you care until you're about to take damage. Anyway, I still subscribed and am looking forwards to seeing more soon!
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 pm

PeteZone wrote:Thanks for the constructive criticism Courier. I'll take that into account next time, thanks. Also, what do you mean by being more careful with the menu options?

Anyways, I've been getting dislikes on the video? Why do you think I've been getting so many of them?

By menu options, I mean the choices you make at nodes. Seeing misclicks and "wait I meant the other one" sort of moments hurts, really badly.

Oh, another thing- make a point of explaining the new mechanics of the crystal ship and crystal crew, then point out the special stuff as it happens, not all the time, just once or twice. =)
PeteZone

Postby PeteZone » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Good to see people actually care about this video. I'll take all of this into consideration, next time I play and record.
PeteZone

Postby PeteZone » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 pm

Compared to my other videos without commentary, this video's like/dislike feature is absolutely crap. Why? Why are people disliking the video?
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:22 am

I happen to love like/dislike. Having a like only anything is just an ego stroke. It allows absolutely zero legitimate criticism.

So, constructive criticism ahoy!
You're not very animated or engaging. You sound bored. I couldn't get more than a couple minutes in.
Jalida

Postby Jalida » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:23 am

PeteZone wrote:Compared to my other videos without commentary, this video's like/dislike feature is absolutely crap. Why? Why are people disliking the video?

Is somebody holding a gun to your head to make the video?

I ask because as others have said, you don't sound all that enthusiastic in the video, It kind of sounds maybe like you've been forced to make it to clear some community service or something.

Also, I'll be honest here, the video is not very entertaining or engaging. If I'm going to watch a video of somebody else playing the same game that I'm playing then I want to be entertained, make me laugh, make me feel some kind of tension, do something other than flatline almost the entire video.

Get out the pep pills buddy, try to make your voice more enthusiastic and animated, your commentary reminds me exactly of a college professor I had maybe 10 years ago, every time that I would go to his class, although I loved the subject matter he was so flat that he would put me to sleep after about 45 minutes. Pep it up, A LOT.

Please don't take offense by what I've written, I assume you want to really know why some people are not liking your video, I think it has a lot to do with the narration/ commentary.

Also try to drop some of the "ummm" in your commentary. The second time that I went through your video I skipped through the video using the progress bar and on too many occasions I accidentally landed on you saying "ummm", perhaps you'll need to plan out your commentary instead of going off the top of your head, come up with some keypoints that you'll want to talk about while you are playing, from what I understand people say ummm a lot when they don't have something planned out on what they are going to say and it's kind of like a "I don't know what to say here, but I feel the need to say something, so I say ummm".

Also keep in mind the crowd that you are dealing with, coming onto the forum here and squawking about "why don't people like the video, or why do people dislike the video" is an invitation for some people to go to the video to do nothing else but hit the dislike button. They see it as your weak spot and they go after that to try to get under your skin. Although I'm willing to bet that is not the only reason that people have hit the dislike button.

Good luck with your future videos.
PeteZone

Postby PeteZone » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:09 am

Congratulations for wasting your time reiterating what others have said. But, you do give a good point as to why this video isn't doing so good. I'll gladly take all of this into account next time I do a commentary, but be warned, this is me in real life, and I don't want to act or be someone else. I want to be myself.