FTL Beginner Let's Play with every ship

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
Muscu

FTL Beginner Let's Play with every ship

Postby Muscu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello everyone!
I am doing a Let's Play series for this wonderful game.
The goal is to go as far as possible with every ship and layout, on normal difficulty.

I will try to let people read events and explain the basics of the gameplay for people who never played it (so it can be boring for vets, sorry about that).

I don't have any mic so no audio commentary on these videos (and with my accent, I think this is for the better).
But I'm putting annotations to explain things.

I will post one or two videos per day, each video covering one sector, because the annotations part takes some time.
So yes, it will take a while until I finish (and I still have to unlock the crystal ship).

Here it is (3 parts up now, the 4th one is almost ready): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZE--Lv02uk

Please tell me what you think about the series, what can I do better, etc.
Agg Shell

Re: FTL Beginner Let's Play with every ship

Postby Agg Shell » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 pm

ok, first thing i noticed, you need to put an annotation over the ship you pick telling it's stratigy. so people don't try and go all - weapons with the mantis B.

Edit 1: at around `:40 you said 'when they try to escape, shoot their engines" you should change that to piolet room, because at max it takes 3 hits to disable it, when engines could take more, so piolet room stops their ftl faster.

Edit 2: i noticed you don't have show beacon paths on hover inabled. now, i haven't watched all your vids so i don't know if you enabled it, but i'd be a good thing to add, saying "enab;e show beacon paths on hover so you can plan out your route through the sectors better"

Edit 3: at ~2:09 of your second vid, i saw that you sent your engine man into the engine room with no oxegin. that would of been a nice time to explain that opining the doors equalizes oxegin, making harmful no-oxegin rooms safe much sooner.

Edit 4: i've been noticing you are aiming your missile at the weapons instead of the shields... i think it's time to explain the 5 classes of weapons, and what they are best at.
Ion: disabling things(and owning zoltan shields)
Beam: hitting many rooms and taking away zoltan shields
MIssle: shield pircing 9good at destroying shield system)
Bomb: good at killing crew
Laser: standerd free-use weapon.

Edit 5: thats all i have! i hope i gave you some good ideas, and if you ever want, we could skype chat and during a vid you could tell me what event there is, and i could help ;D
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
Muscu

Postby Muscu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for all that you said.
Yeah I'm far from being the best FTL player ever and despite the "beginner" title in this post this is not, in any case, supposed to be some sort of strategic guide. I'm not good enough for that.
That just means that I take my time, trying to explain the situations, where other players usually rush in their let's play.

To answer your points :
- Yeah, for future ships I will give general tips in the description of the video. But for the Kestrel I didn't think it was needed.

- I was always aiming at piloting areas at first, but one time, I don't know if it was a bug, a scripted event or whatnot, but a ship with a red piloting area and a non-damaged engine managed to jump. I still don't know if it was normal or not so I aim at the engines now.

- I didn't even know what that option was doing. I will try it in my next game, thanks :p

- yeah, I don't know why I sent my guy in the room without oxygen, but I explain that principle in a later part.

- I agree and usually shoot my missiles at the shields, but my aim is often to disable weapons as fast as possible, sometimes I use missiles on weapons (in this case artemis missiles which do 2 damage), thinking that a barrage of laser shots (even partially blocked by shields) after that will totally disable the weapon. I think it's situational.

Thanks anyway, every feedback is good!
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

It's hard to defend your strategic decisions without that instantaneous commentary there to back you up. :P

I'd say that using the missiles against weapons is a totally fine strategy especially if you know you can prevent them from doing damage to you in doing so. Missiles are my least favourite kind of weapon because of the fact that they have scarce ammo, and missing with them, or picking the wrong target is therefore much more painful (although the pegasus missiles kind of make up for that by firing two missiles for the price of one), not to mention being blockable with defense drones.

As far as the videos go, I have to say that without the commentary, ftl gameplay is a little bit dry for me, but that's not to say you shouldn't keep at it. :P

If you enjoy what you're doing, more power to you and good luck with future videos!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Muscu

Postby Muscu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm really thinking about buying a good micro, but my spoken english is sooo bad... I don't know.
I can also just speak french, maybe that's what I'll do.
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 pm

hey, could you please not speak french on your vids? it's not cause i just can't understand it but
-People don't want to hear things they can't understand
-FTL ha smusic that you don't want to mute
-majority of people speak english on youtube
i dun wanna be offencive, but maybe post the commentary as a sepaerate vid? just wanna help you out, man! i think your channal has potential!
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:09 am

Agg Shell wrote:hey, could you please not speak french on your vids? it's not cause i just can't understand it but
-People don't want to hear things they can't understand
-FTL ha smusic that you don't want to mute
-majority of people speak english on youtube
i dun wanna be offencive, but maybe post the commentary as a sepaerate vid? just wanna help you out, man! i think your channal has potential!

I disagree entirely. There might be a big french ftl audience just waiting for a french commentator to come along. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean there won't be an audience for it!

Best of luck either way!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:19 pm

[quote=

I disagree entirely. There might be a big french ftl audience just waiting for a french commentator to come along. Just because you can't understand it doesn't mean there won't be an audience for it!

Best of luck either way![/quote]

there just might be. but really it all comes down to what the commenter is comfterble with, and what he/she wants to do!
Muscu

Postby Muscu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 am

Yeah, I know that there are people who don't like audio commentary on Let's Play videos, so finally I think that I will just continue without it.

My LP is still going, and today I uploaded the end of my Red-Tail run.
That last fight was tense, that's all I can say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V72qpIggeok
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:59 pm

dude, that was SO intense! but grats on your first normal victory! but that one missile volley in phase 3 was so halarious. 1 missile takes down the drone, the other two attack :lol: