Shark Wars

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
shark

Shark Wars

Postby shark » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am

Hi

I'll keep updating the first post with current status. I'll post the changelog and the link.

*** KNOWN BUGS *

- Cloaking timer doesn't show up after level 4. It works however although the UI doesn't show it properly.
- Artillery level 5 says "cloaking 25 sec" instead "cooldown 10 sec", because it works. The UI shows it properly.
- There are no descriptions for skills above level 8, but they work.
- If you encounter Artillery in a store, if the skill is empty you cannot use it with that ship. You will waste money.
- Teleporter level 4 says "20 sec cooldown" instead of "5 second cooldown". It seems kinda instantenaeous so it worked better than expected.

Patches to crew

namely, allowing you to buy slugs with rarity 4 and crystals with rarity 5
for reference, zoltans are rarity 5

Patches to augmentations

namely, allowing you to buy certain specialties.
ENERGY_SHIELD, NANO_MEDBAY, DRONE_SPEED, SYSTEM_CASING

Patches to ship systems

namely, allowing them to go more levels
teleporter now to level 4 (5 sec cooldown)
cloaking now to level 8 (40 sec cloak)
artillery now to level 5 (10 sec cooldown)
shields now to level 10 (5 bars)
weapons now to level 10 (10 power)
drones now to level 10 (10 power)

Patches to default ships

engi A - changed starting weapons
mantis A - added artillery capability,
stealth B - added artillery lvl2, weapon preigniters aug, +3power
rock A - added artillery capability
crystal B - added art capability, +5hp +1crew, +3 drone slots, starts with drone, removed weapons, changed medbay size to 6

Custom ships

fed B - deathstar
kestel B - imperial stardestroyer
rock B - phlegeton
engi B - obsidian destroyer

Custom weapons followed by drone custom weapons

ION_LASER
ION_LASER_2
ION_LASER_3
ION_LASER_4
ION_LASER_SP
MISSILES_FIRE
BEAM_INFERNO
FIRE_LASER
KRS_GRAVBOMB
KRS_DISRUPTOR_1

Custom drone weapons, followed by custom drones

DRONE_LASER_ROCK
DRONE_ION
DRONE_ION_2
DRONE_HEAVY_ION

Drone blueprints

reactivated COMBAT_ION, COMBAT_MISSILE, added COMBAT_ION_2
added many buffed copies with _SQUAD suffix and alternate gfx
COMBAT_1_SQUAD
COMBAT_2_SQUAD
COMBAT_ION_SQUAD
COMBAT_ION_2_SQUAD
COMBAT_HEAVY_ION_SQUAD
COMBAT_BEAM_SQUAD
SHIP_REPAIR_SQUAD
DEFENSE_1_SQUAD
DEFENSE_2_SQUAD

added DEFENSE_ROCK

My modorder.txt looks like this:
SFTL 1.1.ftl
Shark Wars.ftl
Weaponanza v1.1.ftl
diversityMod_0.3.ftl
FTL-Additional-Events-and-Texts.ftl
KRS Turning the Tide.ftl
Beginning Scrap Advantage.ftl
Extra Names Mod 1.1.ftl

You can download it here [Link Removed.]
Last edited by shark on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
EdenNov

Re: Shark Wars

Postby EdenNov » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Is it possible to split those into sub-mods, so that if someone, say, only wants the improved ships, they wouldn't have to have the drones or whatever?
shark

Postby shark » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Actually I did break it up in the autoBlueprint, I just never really split it into different physical mods.

So if someone wants only the improved ships, he'll have to scrape my mod of the other changes to get the ships. Everyone is free to use my work in any way he deems enjoyable.

You're talking about the modified base ships or modified base ships + customs? Some ships need some of my weapons and drones... but i did go over the XMLs and parametrized their artillery piece where applicable so that would need to go to that patch you mentioned.

But why don't you want my drones? I made em to be wanted and desired.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm

I hope you aren't including the Obsidian Cruiser in your download, I know (99% sure) Kieve does not people redistributing like this (your comment is unclear to me whether it is included or not).
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:56 pm

shark wrote:You're talking about the modified base ships or modified base ships + customs?

What I really want is the systems that can, now, be upgraded more than their normal limit.
shark wrote:But why don't you want my drones? I made em to be wanted and desired.

That was just an example... If it was a mod containing only the drones, then I'd download that in a heartbeat. I really want mods to be broken down so I can mix and match the parts I like-That's why I didn't use Diversity Mod until alextfish made it 'Cosmetics Only'.
In my opinion, releasing all of a person's ideas into a single mod puts people off (maybe only me) because a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. And you've got some strong links there, but I specifically, really don't like having my main ships tinkered with.
If you don't split I will still download it to check out all that stuff, but I hope you do. :)
shark

Postby shark » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:07 pm

There was an update; i will post the new link/ftl file shortly when i finish this ship i wanna make. I found something that looks like a usable sprite to replace the Zoltan ship so I hope i come up with something interesting.

As for the "chain is only as strong as the weakest link" - programers here will hear me and agree with me - what i'm handing out here is like a statically linked library, a proved collection of mods working together in harmony without anybody stepping on anyone's toes. It works both ways ;) 15 years of modding experience taught me this.

Mixing and matching is nice, but it's dependancy hell. Namespace pollution, you name it - one of those mods will do it. Two people will copy the example's and forget to change something, someone will blatantly replace crystal_cruiser_2 data instead of defining a my_crystal_cruiser_2 name and piss all over your mod collection; there's a collision there and the ordering of the mods (something a fresh person has no knowledge of whatsoever) which you must conjure to get desired behaviour is undefined. You have to mix n match, try and err. But once you get it 'right', why not 'freeze' it in that state? Thats what i'm doing - i'm freezing things so that they work long after i'm gone or the original projects i borrowed from get updated or .... you never know.

What I'm handing out here is an all-in-one package that I guarantee that works. I'm also giving everyone permission/freedom to pick out only the things that they like from my mod. Heck, even calling it 'mine' feels kinda odd.

BUT....

if you really want just the skills, it'll take me 5 mins to make you that .FTL; if you want artillery capabilities on some ships (notice when I say 'capability' I mean it can be purchased and used normally) I will need to tinker with your ships. You wanna ship that has more than 4 drones? You need more files. Even though the idea of releasing everything as a set of smaller patches is likable at first - the idea that every little piece acts like a module and can be plugged and played freely with no inner-dependancies is nice; but I like having that 'slight' interraction between all of those under one unified module - it's precisely this interaction that allows me to get insipiration for my work as well as managing my project - I don't wanna have 5 zips open with two same files open in every zip. to put it short - I don't wanna manage 5 mods, I wanna manage one.

Basically, this is a result of "how can i make this game better for myself" and i pretty much implemented whatever crossed my mind :) now i'll be filling up the holes until I get a 'perfect' feel about what's already in there - like revisiting some layouts (mostly adding a few doors), checking the floor plans etc.... I don't want to miss anything. Then I release it and people will be able to learn *enough* from it to keep on doing this, and making the mod scene bigger. Now that I look at it, I see that I changed alot of shit :D

I learned from the mods i had and had to fill in the gaps myself - so I'm being really pedantic and clean about this. Anyone who picks this up as a "mod primer" will have alot less gaps than I first had.

Without adieu - superskills
http://www.2shared.com/file/FJoEV2qR/Sh ... kills.html

If you're interested in any other surgical aspects of my mod, do request. I might just be in the mood to pull it out nice and cosy for you cuz i'm such a great guy.

P.S. if it's worth mentioning, I only replaced Layouts B, and in certain cases made slight adjustments to layouts A; I don't wanna mess up ships either or change em for the sake of changing, I just want more diversity out of 18 ships that I can have. this wasn't meant to be a cheat mod :) but now you see why i compile this into one bundle - i can just soak up the good things (art) that fit with the mod and the theme and discard the rest (code).
Last edited by shark on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
shark

Postby shark » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:13 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:I hope you aren't including the Obsidian Cruiser in your download, I know (99% sure) Kieve does not people redistributing like this (your comment is unclear to me whether it is included or not).

It's in this version that I'll upload tonight/tomorrow. He can sue me. Or he can get over it. Or he can contact me about a few fixes that had to be done on it. Either way I'm promoting his (amazing) (art)work.

GJ kieve, mad props to you.

Also heads up - I somehow broke savegame compatibility (weird) so you'll have to start a new game with the updated version. sorry, couldn't determine root cause (i suspect adding doors and changing starting systems' skill values does this)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:50 pm

shark wrote:
Whale Cancer wrote:I hope you aren't including the Obsidian Cruiser in your download, I know (99% sure) Kieve does not people redistributing like this (your comment is unclear to me whether it is included or not).

It's in this version that I'll upload tonight/tomorrow. He can sue me. Or he can get over it. Or he can contact me about a few fixes that had to be done on it. Either way I'm promoting his (amazing) (art)work.

You're a bad person and you should feel bad.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
EdenNov

Postby EdenNov » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:58 pm

You know what? Since you're this nice, I WILL play your mod in its entirety even though I was only planning on playing the smaller one.
Hooray for being nice! :D
shark

Postby shark » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

I know, I deserve cancer don't I?

EdenNov wrote:You know what? Since you're this nice, I WILL play your mod in its entirety even though I was only planning on playing the smaller one.
Hooray for being nice! :D

and there's just the superskills mod if you don't like it. my design decisions don't always appeal to the masses but i'm glad to see when even some do. i on the other hand like seeing my ideas/work being used by at least somebody.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.