No pause coop - two cursors

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
phiper

No pause coop - two cursors

Postby phiper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Hello all,

Does the FTL mod framework expose enough of the codebase to allow for adding a second cursor via a second physical mouse? This would allow coop on the same computer, which could be fun in no pause games. I tried using the software "mousemux" which does just what I have described, but the non-active cursor is hidden by the game. I also did a cursory search through previous FTL mod posts and could only find networked or mouse/keyboard-split coops, the latter of which I would be hoping to improve upon with this idea.
phiper

Re: No pause coop - two cursors

Postby phiper » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm a dummy concerning the mousemux option. It works in all graphics modes except "Fullscreen (native)". I'll try it with friends tonight or tomorrow!

Original question still stands, although this is pretty close to a working solution...
phiper

Postby phiper » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:45 am

I feel a touch silly; basically talking to myself here. But here's a quick update after trying it out, no pause, with two friends that had never played FTL before:

The program mousemux worked well and we were able to split up with three people on two mice and two keyboards. One person controlled weapons/targeting, one did systems/power, and one did crew. The only minor nitpick was having to be careful about not hogging "active" mouse time, for instance, the time between pressing "1" or "2" and actually clicking a target.

I also looked around for a remote version of this, and it seems like Microsoft Teams is an option, although the multiple cursors option is not free. There is a Mac only option called Tuple. There used to be an option called Screenhero, but it seems to have been bought by Slack, and then the multiple cursor feature was removed after the takeover.
maymoToTheBone

Postby maymoToTheBone » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:12 am

This is really interesting! I'd love to try it if/when you get it to a point where it can be available for public download (assuming I can get a friend or two to join me). I don't have any advice to offer, so instead I'll just wish you luck!