Custom death messages: can I have more than one?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
apposl

Custom death messages: can I have more than one?

Postby apposl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Can you have more than one custom death message randomly displayed? I made several up but it only displays the last listed entry when I die. Would like to have it choose one at random from the list if possible.

Thank you!
RAD-82

Re: Custom death messages: can I have more than one?

Postby RAD-82 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Do you mean the game over text in text_misc.xml?

Code: Select all

<text name="gameover_crew">All crewmembers have died. Your ship will continue to drift for eternity. Or until looters destroy it.</text>
<text name="gameover_blowup">One last explosion marks your fate as your ship is torn apart.</text>
<text name="gameover_fedbase">The Rebel Flagship has destroyed the Federation Base. All is lost, they've won.</text>

I don't know if it will work since it is used differently for events, but have you tried a <textList>?

Code: Select all

<textList name="gameover_blowup">
   <text>One last explosion marks your fate as your ship is torn apart.</text>
   <text>Game over, man.  Game over.</text>
   <text>Dude, your ship was trashed.</text>
</textList>
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
apposl

Re: Custom death messages: can I have more than one?

Postby apposl » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks so much for the reply! I did mean the game over "gameover_blowup" text.

I just tried a textList like that second code you posted in my text_misc file and unfortunately didn't work. Deleted it there and tried it in events.xml and didn't work there either. Unless I'm missing something wherein I'm needing to put an entry into text_misc saying "go look here" at events.xml for the textList of "gameover_blowup" or something...it might be a no go.

I do super appreciate your help! Thought it would be fun to offer different "you blew up" quotes.

PS if you see this reply, love your mods!