Modding help

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
forgetandeatcake

Modding help

Postby forgetandeatcake » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Just trying to make a simple mod, and getting an error when trying to validate the mod. The error message is: "This mod doesn't append. It clobbers."

All I want for now is to add a new laser to the game. I copied and pasted the basic laser blueprint, and edited it a bit.

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="FIRE_LASER_MYMOD">  <!-- 1 shot 1power-->
   <type>LASER</type>
   <title id="weapon_LASER_BURST_1_title"/>
   <short id="weapon_LASER_BURST_1_short"/>
   <tip>tip_laser</tip>
   <desc id="weapon_LASER_BURST_1_desc"/>
   <tooltip id="weapon_LASER_BURST_1_tooltip"/>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <shots>5</shots>
   <sp>4</sp>
   <fireChance>5</fireChance>
   <breachChance>5</breachChance>
   <cooldown>4</cooldown>
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>20</cost>
   <bp>2</bp>
   <rarity>1</rarity>
   <image>laser_light1</image>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>lightLaser1</sound>
      <sound>lightLaser2</sound>
      <sound>lightLaser3</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>hitShield1</sound>
      <sound>hitShield2</sound>
      <sound>hitShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>laser_burst_1</weaponArt>
   <iconImage>laser</iconImage>
</weaponBlueprint>

This is the code within a file "blueprints.xml.append" file. This has been put inside a folder named "data", and added to a zip file named "myweaponmod.ftl". Is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any help
TheMultiverseTeam

Re: Modding help

Postby TheMultiverseTeam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 am

Technically, the clobber message isn't an error, it just means the mod is replacing something rather than appending onto it, something in some cases a mod maker may want to do. Are you certain that the file is called blueprints.xml.append, and that there are no other files (or if there are, they all have .append at the end)? This would usually be caused by files overriding vanilla ones.
forgetandeatcake

Postby forgetandeatcake » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:24 pm

TheMultiverseTeam wrote:Technically, the clobber message isn't an error, it just means the mod is replacing something rather than appending onto it, something in some cases a mod maker may want to do. Are you certain that the file is called blueprints.xml.append, and that there are no other files (or if there are, they all have .append at the end)? This would usually be caused by files overriding vanilla ones.

The file is definitely called blueprints.xml.append (in file explorer under "name" it is blueprints.xml, and under "type" it is "append file", and using 7-zip it is named blueprints.xml.append). It is the only file in the mod, I haven't put anything else into the data folder.

Other mods are working, even a simple ship mod that I made using superluminal 2 worked. In case it helps, when I tried merge my weapon mod with my ship mod, using the step 8 found in this guide https://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32568 the ship mod stopped working.

And the blueprint name that I gave it doesn't appear in vanilla (FIRE_LASER_MYMOD), so I don't think it should be overriding anything (in vanilla anyway, but when validating no other mods were ticked)
TheMultiverseTeam

Postby TheMultiverseTeam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Could you send over the mod files? I could take a look.
forgetandeatcake

Postby forgetandeatcake » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Here it is. I also put img and weapons folders into it (they don't have any files inside) to see if it would help, but it didn't. Thank you for your help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5giswenccq0u2b/Myweaponmod.ftl?dl=0
TheMultiverseTeam

Postby TheMultiverseTeam » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Well I haven't the slightest clue what might have been the issue, but I remade the blueprint with a few changes (none of which should have been causing the problem), and it works fine now. The weapon appears when loaded via the console too.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AR20Zzdv7MyCjAoMHnkAIeKco8m7-3GF/view?usp=sharing
forgetandeatcake

Postby forgetandeatcake » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:18 pm

I found the problem.

When adding the file into the archive using 7-zip, I was making it into a 7z file (and renaming it an ftl file).

Changing it to compress into a zip file (and renaming it an ftl file) worked perfectly. Honestly didn't even know there was a significant difference between the two.

Thank you, once you sent that file back, I figured out it wasn't my coding but my saving that was the issue.