[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DrkTemplar

[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby DrkTemplar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

What is FTL Infinite Space?
The universe is vast. With FTL Infinite Space you can explore the universe to your hearts content, or till you blow your ship to bits. Infinite Space will jump you from sector to sector, while you search for ancient powerful artifacts, and advanced technology to enhance your ships capabilities. Learn when to fight, and when to run. Dominate or be destroyed.

*No Rebel Fleet, No Rebel Boss, No hard stop end of game.
*Redesign of Sectors, and Enemy ships.
*Sector "mini bosses" (Player Cruisers images).
*19 new custom weapons.
*17 new custom drones.
*19 new events
*A different gaming experience than vanilla.

Features DronesPlus mod by karmos!
-Download without Infinite Space here.

Unlimited Sectors
Upon Reaching the End Beacon of the sector, your ship will automatically jump to a new randomized Deep Space sector.

Static Enemy Ships
Certain races are more powerful than others. You will run into weak and strong ships. Learn when to fight, when to run, and when to take a bribe.

No Rebel Fleet pursuit
You're the Captin of your own Starship. Your quest to explore the cosmos will be dangerous.

Sector mini-boss
At the beginning of each new sector, if you're ship is deemed strong enough, you will encounter a mini-boss. Running from a mini-boss can be deadly as your only escape will be an unexplored beacon.

Search for Ancient Artifacts, and Advanced Technology.
Defeating a mini-boss will yield you a reward beacon, indicated with a ship icon on sector map. Seeking out those beacons can yield Ancient Artifacts (ship specific augments), or Advanced Technology (new custom weapons/drones).

*Requires Slipstream Mod Manager

Installation
1. Downlaod the file, and place in the mod folder used by Slipstream Mod Manager
2. Run modman.exe, select the mod in the list, and click Patch.
Note: If the mod doesn't show in the mod manager, it has likely downloaded as a .zip file. You will need to change the file extension to a .ftl. Make sure you can see your file extensions first! If you don't know how to do this, search google for Show File Extensions for your Operating System.

Version 0.5.3
Download

Mod Compatibility
Infinite Space drastically changes the sectors, and events that spawn in each sector. Any mod that alters these will likely not work with Infinite Space. However custom ship mods will work with Infinite Space! Any mod under the "Balancing - Total Conversions" section in Master Mod List will likely cause an issue.

Change Log
version 0.5.3
-Added back in new events written by Whoopty
-Fixed some errors in xml files

==== Complete list of Advanced Tech Items, and Drones ====

Lasers
+Burst Laser, +Heavy Laser, +Hull Laser
Missiles
+Missile, +Burst Missile, +Breach Missile, +Hull Missile
Beam
+Beam, +Fire Beam, +Bio Beam, +Hull Beam
Bomb
+Bomb, +Hull Bomb, +Fire Bomb, +Heal Bomb
Ion
+Ion Blast, +Ion Bomb
Crystal
+Crystal Burst, +Crystal Heavy

Offensive Drones
Combat 1, Combat 2, +Combat
Beam 1, Beam 2, +Beam
Ion 1, Ion 2, +Ion
Missile 1, Missile 2, +Missile
Fire 1, Fire 2, +Fire
Crystal 1, Crystal 2, +Crystal
Boarder, +Boarder

Defensive Drones
Defense 1, Defense 2, +Defense
Ship Repair

Ship Drones
Repair Drone, Battle Drone
Last edited by UltraMantis on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 104 times in total.
Reason: Replaced GMM links with SMM
Zaffre

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinity

Postby Zaffre » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I've been waiting for something like this. I'll keep an eye on this for sure.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm

DiEvAl wrote:Are you sure that it's possible to make Endless Gameplay?

I have already modded the game to allow for endless sectors. However extensive testing has yet to be done. I have concerns with the rebel pursuit variable reaching max value for the data type and causing an exception, but other than that I don't currently see any issues.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:I have already modded the game to allow for endless sectors.

Simple question:

How? Repeated secret sector? Or something else?
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:25 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:

I have already modded the game to allow for endless sectors. However extensive testing has yet to be done. I have concerns with the rebel pursuit variable reaching max value for the data type and causing an exception, but other than that I don't currently see any issues.

How are you doing that? I am rather skeptical. My initial thought on how to do this would be some secret sector shenanigans. Is that what you are doing?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Tei33

Postby Tei33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm REALLY loving the idea, I've found thesew other games that you could use as inspiration... take a look.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/238585
http://www.kongregate.com/games/dude454 ... =flashtrek
http://www.kongregate.com/games/toxotes/flash-trek
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

Icehawk78 wrote:
DrkTemplar wrote:I have already modded the game to allow for endless sectors.

Simple question:

How? Repeated secret sector? Or something else?

Whale Cancer wrote:
DrkTemplar wrote:

How are you doing that? I am rather skeptical. My initial thought on how to do this would be some secret sector shenanigans. Is that what you are doing?

Yep!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 am

DrkTemplar wrote:Yep!

How are you handling those pieces of code that are hard coded to the sector (scrap rewards, weapons and system scaling on enemy ships, etc.)? How does increasing difficulty work?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:00 am

Whale Cancer wrote:
DrkTemplar wrote:Yep!

How are you handling those pieces of code that are hard coded to the sector (scrap rewards, weapons and system scaling on enemy ships, etc.)? How does increasing difficulty work?

I'm only modifying XML data, but I do have solutions to the above mentioned issues. I would like to try and get a distributable copy out before going into this in more detail. Once there is a mod to play test, it will be easier to talk about balance. The gameplay will differ from the base game.
swixel

Postby swixel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:03 am

DrkTemplar wrote:I'm only modifying XML data, but I do have solutions to the above mentioned issues. I would like to try and get a distributable copy out before going into this in more detail. Once there is a mod to play test, it will be easier to talk about balance. The gameplay will differ from the base game.

So given the limitations of the XML ... how are you going to handle maxing the ship out? It's presently possible to do if you do everything right ... but it makes everything short of the flagship boring if you pull it off (hell, I took out every rebel ship in a sector because it was possible to do it).

At present I've been messing with rebuilding the starmap every sector jump, restoring the game's view to it being sector 1, and then storing the real sector number elsewhere, but that's about as stable as a drunk on stilts ...