[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kieve

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 am

mtsmithies wrote:Hey, loving this mod but am a pretty big noob to modding this game.

Is there a way to get custom ships to work with this mod? I'm using the mod manager but I still can't seem to get my custom ships into the game when using them with this mod

Infinite Space makes extensive changes to the Bluprints.xml data file. As such, DrkTemplar decided it was best to keep the file intact and overwrite it, rather than using the .append function.
What this means for your custom ships (and other mods) is that if the Infinite Space mod is applied after the other mods, any changes they make to Blueprints.xml are overwritten and lost. All ship mods require changing of that file, since that's where player ship data is stored.

Fortunately, the fix is super-easy!

In your FTL\mods directory, you'll find a little text file called "modorder.txt"
That is the order GMM will apply each mod. So all you have to do is cut/paste the name of the ship mod(s) you want to use to the end of that list, after Infinite Space. Then save, run GMM, and enjoy!
Scootabuser

Postby Scootabuser » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 am

Hey if you want I could help go through game text and develop some kind of story for the world.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

(first time here) Can someone tell me if there's a ".ftl" in the download links because I don't get any from the from the links (I do get the rest though). If there isn't any, can someone tell me how to install it? I'm knew in this stuff. Unless I didn't download the right thing, all there is in the .zip is a data folder and an img folder. If it might be a cause of other mods conflicting, then these are the mods that I have: (I'm on my iPod right now, so the names may be wrong) start game scrap bonus, the 3 ".ftl" for 8 scouts and no more rebel fleet pursuit. If you know what the problem is, please tell me and also, please include instructions on how to install the mod. Thanks!
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Is anyone else having graphic problems with version 0.3.4, like Ghostwish?

@Scootabuser, If you have an idea, and you are willing to write the text for the events, feel free to email them to me. I can put together the xml, and I can test the events, but I don't have time to write the text for new ones. However, the more events, the better.

@The Hawk, Others have reported this issue when downloading the file. I did upload it as a .ftl file, but for some reason when people download it, it will sometimes be updated to a .zip file. Just rename the .zip to .ftl. To install the mod, simply put the renamed .ftl file in the mod folder of the mod manager. Run the mod manager, and select the mod in the list. Than click Patch.

Infinite Space will conflict with the Starting Scrap mod, and the No Rebel mod. I don't know what the "3 .ftl for 8 scouts" is, so I can't say on that one.

*EDIT: Scootabuser, yes the rewards for ships can be adjusted. The base game uses autoRewards which scale based on the current sector you are in. In this mod, you are always in sector 1, so that's why you see the same payout for each ship. For me to change that, I have to explicitly decide what is rewarded, like with the Cruiser ships. This can be done, but consider that you have no end, and you can continue to build up your resources. The more that is given out, the faster you will build up. I've had reports earlier on that some people can build up their ship without a problem, and than just start stockpiling all their resources because they no longer need them. I have recently reduced the payout on Cruiser because of this.

**EDIT: I'll look at making .append versions of files that I can. I would like this mod to work well with custom ships, and should be able to convert the blueprints.xml file to an append.
Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks for the mod, its been nice not being chased and being able to keep the same ship until I get sick of it or blow it up.

I ran across a bug in the behavior of one of the boss cruisers (I think the pirate battleship, I've only tried this once) in that it will teleport boarding people over no matter the number of people left on its vessle. This might be a problem with the game, I have not tried it in normal play. I was fighting the ship and I decided to jump out after being hit a few times to deal with the boarders/fire. When I jumped back to fight the cuiser (with its remaining crew) it sent over more of its crew and I repeated jumping away with its boarders until I killed its last crew member and "won" the fight. Hilarious, but I don't think it should have worked.
sourcecoder

Postby sourcecoder » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I have played this for a bit, but I have found that the sector end boss is all but impossible, even on easy mode. The one time I managed to beat it, it left me with 25% hull. I also tried using the playable Flagship mod, and still lost. Can you please balance it a bit?
Scootabuser

Postby Scootabuser » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 pm

@DrkTemplar

I will get to work on that right away, is there a text file or something that has all the event text already in it so i can peruse, I don't think I have them all memorized :P

I think one of the problems right now is that I just run around skipping any ship that looks difficult and farming the 5 health no shield automated drones. I don't think you need more rewards, I just think they need to be distributed so if you have the balls to take on a larger ship, you can get a larger reward.

Also if you feel like players are hitting there limit too quickly making SLIGHT increases in the prices for things like fuel/missiles/drones/repair can help slow progress. In the end the problem is that the game wasn't designed to go on forever so the only way to make lastability is to make cruiser bosses and enemies that require strategy and are difficult even with a max upgraded ship.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm

[quote="DrkTemplar"]

@The Hawk, Others have reported this issue when downloading the file. I did upload it as a .ftl file, but for some reason when people download it, it will sometimes be updated to a .zip file. Just rename the .zip to .ftl. To install the mod, simply put the renamed .ftl file in the mod folder of the mod manager. Run the mod manager, and select the mod in the list. Than click Patch.

Infinite Space will conflict with the Starting Scrap mod, and the No Rebel mod. I don't know what the "3 .ftl for 8 scouts" is, so I can't say on that one.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for answering me.... but i use winrar and i tried what you told me but winrar doesnt seem to give a sh*t if i write ".ftl" at the end. P.S. for the "3 .ftl for 8 scout", i meant there's a mod that puts 8 scout ships in the game but requires 3 ".ftl" to run it.

I'm gonna ask my father about it, he knows EVERYTHING about pc. at his job, people even call him Dr. know!

EDIT: it works THANKS
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 pm

YOU said you wanted feedback, so here you go:

so played for about... 1 minute and then i died.

ho yeah, i was using the mantis cruiser type B
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:01 am

HOOOOO MYYY GOD!!!!!! I AM RIPPING MY HAIR OFF MY HEAD!!!!THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE
i can't even fight the first ship i encounter in the game because i lose ALL my hull to a goddamn missile weapon while i try to fix every system that it has destroyed

EDIT: i am now bald.

EDIT2: i wish i could rip my brain to die so much that the mod is broken. from what i've seen, people dont have much difficulty problems but me. i cant get past the first sector without ragequiting almost in tears.