How to Install Mods on Mac?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Biscuits™
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm

How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Biscuits™ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 pm

As a bit of background, I have been a long term lurker and have finally decided to make a post, because this issue has been confusing me for the last couple days. I have been browsing the working mods and decided to install a mod for the Vortex called the obsidian cruiser.

So I have downloaded this .ftl document with no issues, however by reading through other people's posts I have found I need to put in in a mods folder, which I quite simply don't have. I have looked through the package contents of FTL in the applications folder, as well as the FasterThanLight folder inside my library, and neither have a folder called mods.

Thank you for taking the time to read and your help would be much appreciated.
User avatar
Kieve
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 pm
Location: Low Orbit
Contact:

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Kieve » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 pm

You need to install Grognak's Mod Manager first. Among other things, that should create a 'mods' folder in your FTL directory. To install the mod, you then run "modman.exe" (or just modman, as I understand Mac hides file extensions) - you'll find that in your main FTL folder as well, after you install.

Grognak's been pretty good about helping people get his manager working, so read through the above thread if you start running into problems - I use WinXP myself and haven't got more than a very basic understanding of Mac systems.
ser_aerochorro
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby ser_aerochorro » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Kieve wrote:You need to install Grognak's Mod Manager first. Among other things, that should create a 'mods' folder in your FTL directory. To install the mod, you then run "modman.exe" (or just modman, as I understand Mac hides file extensions) - you'll find that in your main FTL folder as well, after you install.

Grognak's been pretty good about helping people get his manager working, so read through the above thread if you start running into problems - I use WinXP myself and haven't got more than a very basic understanding of Mac systems.

.exe's are Windows programs, they don't work on mac. On mac it is a bit different(more complicated at the moment):
-Dowload the latest version of Python 2.7 for your system. Actually a version of Python SHOULD come shipped with your Mac, but in my case not everything was properly installed, so it's better if you install it yourself.
-Install Python(it's a normal pkg inside of a dmg, that should be pretty straightforward)
-Download the mod loader and unzip it anywhere.
-Go to the /src folder inside of that zip.
-Double click the file "easygui-version0.96.tar" to uncompress it. You'll have a folder named like that.
-Open a Terminal.app window(the Terminal is in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
-type in the terminal "sudo python", a space, drag the easygui folder, another space, and install. Press Intro.
-You'll be asked for a password: use the admin's password(the one you use to install things). While you tipe no letters will be showed on the terminal: that's normal. Press Intro.
-Now find the your FTL app. If you use the DRM-free version, it's the app you use to run FTL: on Steam, just go to the finder, press Shift+Cmd+G and type "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common", find the folder of FTL and you'll find the app inside.
-Right click the app and click "Show package contents".
-A new window should have opened. Go to the "Contents" folder.
-Copy the "modman.ini" file and the "mods" folder from the mod manager folder to the Contents folder.
-Go inside the /src folder(it's in the mod manager folder) and copy everything inside to the Contents folder.
-The manager is installed. To run it, run "main.py". Double clicking should suffice: if it doesn't, type "python " on a terminal window, drag the main.py, and press Enter. Note that to use a mod you must put it on the mods folder first.
-I'd make an alias of both the main.py and the mods folder and put it somewhere handy, like on the Documents folder(you can actually put them in the Dock if you want, just in the side of the files/folders).

If you want help with anything, post it here.
Biscuits™
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Biscuits™ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm

ser_aerochorro wrote:
Kieve wrote:You need to install Grognak's Mod Manager first. Among other things, that should create a 'mods' folder in your FTL directory. To install the mod, you then run "modman.exe" (or just modman, as I understand Mac hides file extensions) - you'll find that in your main FTL folder as well, after you install.

Grognak's been pretty good about helping people get his manager working, so read through the above thread if you start running into problems - I use WinXP myself and haven't got more than a very basic understanding of Mac systems.

.exe's are Windows programs, they don't work on mac. On mac it is a bit different(more complicated at the moment):
-Dowload the latest version of Python 2.7 for your system. Actually a version of Python SHOULD come shipped with your Mac, but in my case not everything was properly installed, so it's better if you install it yourself.
-Install Python(it's a normal pkg inside of a dmg, that should be pretty straightforward)
-Download the mod loader and unzip it anywhere.
-Go to the /src folder inside of that zip.
-Double click the file "easygui-version0.96.tar" to uncompress it. You'll have a folder named like that.
-Open a Terminal.app window(the Terminal is in Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
-type in the terminal "sudo python", a space, drag the easygui folder, another space, and install. Press Intro.
-You'll be asked for a password: use the admin's password(the one you use to install things). While you tipe no letters will be showed on the terminal: that's normal. Press Intro.
-Now find the your FTL app. If you use the DRM-free version, it's the app you use to run FTL: on Steam, just go to the finder, press Shift+Cmd+G and type "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common", find the folder of FTL and you'll find the app inside.
-Right click the app and click "Show package contents".
-A new window should have opened. Go to the "Contents" folder.
-Copy the "modman.ini" file and the "mods" folder from the mod manager folder to the Contents folder.
-Go inside the /src folder(it's in the mod manager folder) and copy everything inside to the Contents folder.
-The manager is installed. To run it, run "main.py". Double clicking should suffice: if it doesn't, type "python " on a terminal window, drag the main.py, and press Enter. Note that to use a mod you must put it on the mods folder first.
-I'd make an alias of both the main.py and the mods folder and put it somewhere handy, like on the Documents folder(you can actually put them in the Dock if you want, just in the side of the files/folders).

If you want help with anything, post it here.


I did everything exactly as you instructed, but when I tried to copy the contents of the /src folder into Contents I recieved the following error message:

error occurred (error code -8058).

Also, not sure whether this is relevant, but upon trying to do the console commands I got the following message:

sudo python /Users/Chris/Downloads/Grognaks\ Mod\ Manager\ v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96 install
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't find '__main__' module in '/Users/Chris/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96'

EDIT:
I fixed the error message issue, but now when I doubleclick "main.py" inside the contents folder, it simply opens up the script and does nothing.
Grognak
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Grognak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 am

Moving from Working Mods to Mod Development. Hopefully you'll find some more helpful advice here, I'm afraid I don't have a Mac and can't really help platform-specific issues. :|
Mbokn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm
Location: Federation space

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Mbokn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 pm

I did exactly what you said, but it says "ImportError: No module named easygui", and it doesn't work
ser_aerochorro
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby ser_aerochorro » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Biscuits™ wrote:
ser_aerochorro wrote:
Kieve wrote:You need to install

EDIT:
I fixed the error message issue, but now when I doubleclick "main.py" inside the contents folder, it simply opens up the script and does nothing.

Could you please copy-paste here the text of the terminal window that opens when double clicking "main.py"?

Mbokn wrote:I did exactly what you said, but it says "ImportError: No module named easygui", and it doesn't work
Apparently, easygui wasn't properly installed. Go on a terminal window, type "python", intro, "import easygui", intro, and copy-paste here the text of that terminal window(it will probably have an error message when entering that last line, that's what I want).
Mbokn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 pm
Location: Federation space

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Mbokn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named easygui
>>>
lotten
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 am

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby lotten » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 am

Biscuits™ wrote:
ser_aerochorro wrote:
Kieve wrote:You need to install

EDIT:
I fixed the error message issue, but now when I doubleclick "main.py" inside the contents folder, it simply opens up the script and does nothing.

Could you please copy-paste here the text of the terminal window that opens when double clicking "main.py"?

Mbokn wrote:I did exactly what you said, but it says "ImportError: No module named easygui", and it doesn't work
Apparently, easygui wasn't properly installed. Go on a terminal window, type "python", intro, "import easygui", intro, and copy-paste here the text of that terminal window(it will probably have an error message when entering that last line, that's what I want).


I'm having a similar issue.
I get stuck at this step:
-type in the terminal "sudo python", a space, drag the easygui folder, another space, and install. Press Intro.",

Here is my terminal output.

Code: Select all

sudo python /Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks\ Mod\ Manager\ v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96 install
Password:
/usr/bin/python: can't find '__main__.py' in '/Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96'


When I try to "import easygui" from within the Python program, I get the same

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named easygui


I then did a pwd and ls and determined I was in the wrong Grognaks Mod Manager folder.
(I had tried v1.41, 1.4, and then 1.3 before I found one with easygui_version0.96.tar in the /src directory.

Once I navigated to the correct uncompressed Grognaks Mod Manager folder, I was able to go into Python and 'import easygui'

For me the directory was this by default:

Code: Select all

/Users/USERNAME/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src


Now when I do the 'sudo python .....' command, I still get

Code: Select all

:src lotten$ sudo python /Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks\ Mod\ Manager\ v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96 install
/usr/bin/python: can't find '__main__.py' in '/Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src/easygui_version0.96'


Not sure what to do here.
Last thing I tried was running the install from one folder up from /src
Here's my output:

Code: Select all

:src lotten$ sudo python /Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks\ Mod\ Manager\ v1.3/src/ installTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 121, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/runpy.py", line 34, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "/Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src/__main__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from ftldat import FTLDatUnpacker as du
  File "/Users/lotten/Downloads/Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3/src/ftldat.py", line 4, in <module>
    import argparse
ImportError: No module named argparse
Grognak
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: How to Install Mods on Mac?

Postby Grognak » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 am

Hi lotten, right now you're currently using an outdated build. Grab the latest version, EasyGUI has long since been replaced. :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests