Just testing some new stuff...

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
User avatar
Lamina
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Lamina » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

---
Last edited by Lamina on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winderps
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Winderps » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Lamina wrote:
Winderps wrote:
I think it would be cool to make a abstraction layer that'll run a easy to use yet powerfull Language, say "Python", to run atop the (C++?) injection language.


Unfortunately, the way that it works, it would be actually much, much harder to write the mod in Lua with a C++ interface.


You misunderstand me. By "abstraction layer" I meant API, though I understand that wasn't very clear.
(The high-level language, the moder writes, is able to communication with the framework written in the low-level language injected into FTL.)

I look forward to seeing your development. I hope you'll approach this with care, as not to infringe on the copyright -
and standing moding agreement with the devs.

Best of luck.


Oh, well, thank you for clarifying, because yes, we do want to do that. We were seriously considering writing a Lua API for other modders to use
User avatar
fdagpigj
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby fdagpigj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

So when are you going to actually release any of your physical progress so other people could start expanding on your work? This is impressive but I hope you'll soon open it up for anyone who wants to try to recreate it/play around with it.
Winderps
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Winderps » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 am

fdagpigj wrote:So when are you going to actually release any of your physical progress so other people could start expanding on your work? This is impressive but I hope you'll soon open it up for anyone who wants to try to recreate it/play around with it.


As much as I really wish I could give a solid release date estimate, it's impossible to know. Especially without someone who can do art (as we are planning to add content of our own along with the modding API) it could take a long time to finish.
User avatar
fdagpigj
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby fdagpigj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Winderps wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:So when are you going to actually release any of your physical progress so other people could start expanding on your work? This is impressive but I hope you'll soon open it up for anyone who wants to try to recreate it/play around with it.


As much as I really wish I could give a solid release date estimate, it's impossible to know. Especially without someone who can do art (as we are planning to add content of our own along with the modding API) it could take a long time to finish.

Why do you need to wait to have content ready before releasing the API?
Winderps
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Winderps » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm

fdagpigj wrote:
Winderps wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:So when are you going to actually release any of your physical progress so other people could start expanding on your work? This is impressive but I hope you'll soon open it up for anyone who wants to try to recreate it/play around with it.


As much as I really wish I could give a solid release date estimate, it's impossible to know. Especially without someone who can do art (as we are planning to add content of our own along with the modding API) it could take a long time to finish.

Why do you need to wait to have content ready before releasing the API?


Because the two are being created in tandem. The API is being created at the same time as content is being created with it.
User avatar
fdagpigj
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby fdagpigj » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Winderps wrote:Because the two are being created in tandem. The API is being created at the same time as content is being created with it.

Then you can use programmer art :D
User avatar
Lamina
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Lamina » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm

---
Last edited by Lamina on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winderps
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby Winderps » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 pm

Lamina wrote:
fdagpigj wrote:
Winderps wrote:Because the two are being created in tandem. The API is being created at the same time as content is being created with it.

Then you can use programmer art :D

I second this, and I agree that the API and content are vastly different material. I understand doing proper debugging, but from Wins previous comment, it seems like they want to release a content-preview for us to try, before the API.

It would be a shame if a - valid method (for a lack of better words) - to expand on FTL, was dropped because its creator become overburdened creating an amazing mod with it, before it became public.

---
Winderps wrote:oh and we need artists please if you can and are willing to do art PM me

If you haven't already, then I recommend you investigate the Shipyard post on Mod Development. There's plenty of great ship art there, and quite a few weapon sprites. Then there's Rodprier's post, also here, with many weapons free of use. Not to speak of the myriad of combinations splicing existing sprites can create.


Hmm.... No, my idea was more that the API would be released along with a small preview of what it's capable of doing, but I can see your point. Honestly I can't say for sure which we'll end up going with, but I can say that we'll keep everyone updated via this forum, the ftlgame subreddit, and the FTL Discord server. And if we do ever decide to stop development for whatever reason, we'll release whatever we've made up to that point to the public as open source.
User avatar
TheFallenAngel359
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Just testing some new stuff...

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:34 am

So... I just found this. And as it would be insanely helpful for my mod, I'm willing to offer my services if you're still around.
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests