Should I keep going?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

Should I keep going?

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 am

I'm a rookie modder, and well, I sort of stopped working on my projects. And I have been asking myself, should I continue modding FTL? I'v been out of the loop here, but I have a feeling this game is kinda dead. Should I keep going?

My works (in progress):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28701
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26985
stylesrj

Re: Should I keep going?

Postby stylesrj » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:35 am

If you're looking for massive coverage of your mods and fame and fortune... you should stop.
Otherwise, just make your mods and who cares about how many people download it or not.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:44 am

stylesrj wrote:If you're looking for massive coverage of your mods and fame and fortune... you should stop.
Otherwise, just make your mods and who cares about how many people download it or not.

I didn't set out to make them to get internet popular, but on that same coin that means I don't actually have a goal in mind for it and thus leaves me kind of lost.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:39 am

WhiteWeasel wrote:I didn't set out to make them to get internet popular, but on that same coin that means I don't actually have a goal in mind for it and thus leaves me kind of lost.

Then just cut out all the planned features from the ongoing projects, polish what you have there already, so that it looks like a finished mod.
And then it will be easier to decide, if you want to continue making something or stop.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:34 am

I suggest to proceed with small steps and see how things go: planning a huge mod like Captain's Edition when you're not prepared is not the best way indeed. Start with a ship, a weapon or something "affordable" and see if you like it. Then decide if you wish to add more or to end your work. 8-)
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Eh, I don't like staring at unfinished works. I need to get my F5 Mercury ship finished, and will probably have to spend a little time "re-learning" how to mod FTL. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28701
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

Dude you have some good modding and art skills.
If you decide that you are tired of making mods for FTL, I would suggest that you check out Tachyon.
Several people of Tachyon community are working on an MMO mod, your skills would do well there. + it would be something fresh for you. ;)
Cheers.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:Dude you have some good modding and art skills.
If you decide that you are tired of making mods for FTL, I would suggest that you check out Tachyon.
Several people of Tachyon community are working on an MMO mod, your skills would do well there. + it would be something fresh for you. ;)
Cheers.

It's not that I'm tired of FTL. It's just that I started modding FTL when I was in highschool when my life was a lot more stressful. And working on this was just another chore to tick of my checklist that got in the way of other things. Now I'm done with that, I can work on this at my leisure without worry.