[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ImDotTK

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open sou

Postby ImDotTK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

After I make changes to the ship, I export it and use the FTL mod manager to patch the mod in. It just never works, ever. My ship never appears.

Could someone give me a step by step text tut on how to do it properly please?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:57 pm

ImDotTK wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

After I make changes to the ship, I export it and use the FTL mod manager to patch the mod in. It just never works, ever. My ship never appears.

... :roll:
You mean like the stickied topic with the big [TUTORIAL] tag right here?

That being said, for your ship to be playable it has to replace one of the defaults - 9 original ships or their B variants - and of course it needs to be a ship you've already unlocked or it won't show up for you anyway.
Read through the tutorial there first, and if you're still running into problems, I'm sure we can get them ironed out. It always helps to be specific though - "My ship never appears" isn't as useful as "I tried to replace the Kestrel B, but I only see a floor plan - the ship image is gone." /example
Zoridium JackL

Postby Zoridium JackL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 pm

so after a day of trial an error I've made progress, but not quite there yet...

as it stands I've got the ships image to show up, and it's roughly on the screen where I want it, the game doesn't crash or complain when I load it, all the rooms line up with each other and function correctly, that is about where the good new ends sadl.

I currently have a number of issues, but only one big one.

-all the rooms are aligned with each other, but are about 1/3rd of my ships length too far to the right, don't know why or how to fix it, help would be appreciated,

the rest are pretty minor and should be solvable with tinkering :)

-floor isn't transparent and is casting a massive white box, an easy fix mind you
-shield is just a black box at the moment as far as I can tell, but I think that's just more a matter of selecting one and implementing it,
- no weapon mounts or gibs, shouldn't be too difficult to get on though and not really fussed.
- the thruster effect of the ship I replaced still show up in-game so I'll have to remove them.
- want to fit an artillery cannon to my ship, not sure exactly how to go about it but I'm sure it's possible.
ImDotTK

Postby ImDotTK » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Kieve wrote:
ImDotTK wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

... :roll:
You mean like the stickied topic with the big [TUTORIAL] tag right here?

That being said, for your ship to be playable it has to replace one of the defaults - 9 original ships or their B variants - and of course it needs to be a ship you've already unlocked or it won't show up for you anyway.
Read through the tutorial there first, and if you're still running into problems, I'm sure we can get them ironed out. It always helps to be specific though - "My ship never appears" isn't as useful as "I tried to replace the Kestrel B, but I only see a floor plan - the ship image is gone." /example

I just joined so I'm not sure if there is a way to like or thumb up this, but thank you so much, this has been a big help :D
Tails

Postby Tails » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 pm

So the problem I've run into is that when I try to compile it with GMM, the text the rolls past in the console (very very fast) says something to the effect of "badfile is not zipfile". Now that sounds like something I've done wrong outside of the gamefiles. I'm using 7zip as recommended, anyone else run into this issue?
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Tails wrote:So the problem I've run into is that when I try to compile it with GMM, the text the rolls past in the console (very very fast) says something to the effect of "badfile is not zipfile". Now that sounds like something I've done wrong outside of the gamefiles. I'm using 7zip as recommended, anyone else run into this issue?

You can get more time to see the error message if you launch GMM from a command prompt rather than launching it directly. Shift-Right-Click on the FTL directory, select "Command window here" or similar, and then type "modman.exe".

But I'd guess that one possible problem might be that you might be creating a file in "7z" or "z" format, not "zip" format. When you zip up your data and img directories, be sure that you're creating a "zip" file, not a "7z" file.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
KingSix

Postby KingSix » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Darkfrost wrote:SFML uses a .NET wrapper for it's C-based dlls. These will only work under windows, and thus not run under Mono

To get it to run under mono, it should be as simple as replacing those dlls with the linux ones:

You can get those here, they'll be in the lib folder: (32/64bit)
http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/2.0-rc ... 32.tar.bz2
http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/2.0-rc ... 64.tar.bz2

You might also have to make a .config file to tell mono where to find the dlls

I've replaced the dll's but it still won't run and I have no clue how to make a proper config file. Could you perhaps post a more detailed solution. I'm kinda a mac noob, that doesn't really help either.
Tails

Postby Tails » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

alextfish wrote:
Tails wrote:So the problem I've run into is that when I try to compile it with GMM, the text the rolls past in the console (very very fast) says something to the effect of "badfile is not zipfile". Now that sounds like something I've done wrong outside of the gamefiles. I'm using 7zip as recommended, anyone else run into this issue?

You can get more time to see the error message if you launch GMM from a command prompt rather than launching it directly. Shift-Right-Click on the FTL directory, select "Command window here" or similar, and then type "modman.exe".

But I'd guess that one possible problem might be that you might be creating a file in "7z" or "z" format, not "zip" format. When you zip up your data and img directories, be sure that you're creating a "zip" file, not a "7z" file.

But the zip file gets renamed right into an .ftl anyway, so dies it matter if it's a zip or .7z? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong by zipping the data and img folders into a zip and then renaming it an .ftl
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

KingSix wrote:
Darkfrost wrote:SFML uses a .NET wrapper for it's C-based dlls. These will only work under windows, and thus not run under Mono

To get it to run under mono, it should be as simple as replacing those dlls with the linux ones:

You can get those here, they'll be in the lib folder: (32/64bit)
http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/2.0-rc ... 32.tar.bz2
http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/2.0-rc ... 64.tar.bz2

You might also have to make a .config file to tell mono where to find the dlls

I've replaced the dll's but it still won't run and I have no clue how to make a proper config file. Could you perhaps post a more detailed solution. I'm kinda a mac noob, that doesn't really help either.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/download/2.0-rc ... rc-osx.zip
^ Mac version :)

There should be some more info here: http://www.mono-project.com/DllNotFoundException

As far as i'm aware, the .config files should basically just look like
sfmlnet-graphics-2.dll.config:

Code: Select all

<configuration>
    <dllmap dll="csfml-graphics-2" target="libcsfml-graphics.so.2" />
 </configuration>

etc (for each dll)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Tails

Postby Tails » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 pm

This happens when I run GMM for the first time at the end of Step 6 in the tutorial, any ideas at what I did wrong?

http://i.imgur.com/CNGf6tr.png

...Looking at this, It is possible that I haven't installed GMM correctly.

Although it appears to work completely correctly when the only .ftl in the folder is the beginning scrap advantage mod that comes with GMM. Completes packing and launches FTL appropriately.

http://i.imgur.com/SiZRWWd.png