[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
speedoflight

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open sou

Postby speedoflight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:54 am

Hi, new to this great game and trying to get working this great editor. But no luck. I get continuous runtime error msgs and when i specify the path of the unpacked data and resource folders, it keeps saying that it cant find em (and im really sure its correct) . Well, then, as the last resource, i go to the create ship from scratch option, and the program just crashes :shock:

Im using Windows vista 32 bits btw.

Any ideas?
Last edited by speedoflight on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:17 am

Not really,sorry. You can create mods even without editors, since the main files to edit are editable in notepad. Most of the data is self explanatory, but you have to be super careful to follow the syntax and not make any typos. Several modders use no editor and deliver high quality stuff. It's not much harder once you know what you're doing.

So far, no editor is bulletproof though superluminal comes close.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Is this editor going to be updated?? with some fixes maybe? i really want to try it out.. :(
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am

Question: if I export the Osprey or Nisos in .xml, and then import them back, I lose the artillery beam. I actually can't see mention of the artillery beam in the editor. What gives, should I use Superluminal if I want to mess with the artillery beam?

UltraMantis: I don't understand what should I do to edit files manually, I could unpack data.dat and resource.dat but nowhere I see the xmls of the player ships. I only ever get those if I export through FTLedit or Superluminal. :cry:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Unpack data.dat and resources.dat using GMM, DatManager or any other tool. If you use DatManager, it will unpack the files into a folder of your choice. There you should find the .xml files. You can edit them with notepad.

I have not messed with the artillery beam but i've read that much of it is hardcoded. Maybe someone else can help you there.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Once you have unpacked the archives, go to /data/, you will find a file named blueprints.xml there - this file contains all of the blueprints for all player ships, as well as other stuff. This is the file that you should edit in order to alter system loadout of a ship.

As for artillery, true, it's pretty much wholly hardcoded, however adding artillery to a ship isn't much more complex than adding any other system. I don't know about FTLEdit, but in Superluminal you merely have to assign the artillery system to a room (like you do with any other system), and then add one more weapon mount with slide property set to NO (in Superluminal such mount won't have an arrow coming out of it).
And that's it.

As for your question in Superluminal's topic, xdiesp, I guess I misunderstood what you meant... You have to first pack your exported ship files into a .ftl package, then you'll be able to open it with Superluminal.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm asking about the artillery beam, because it doesn't show up in FTLedit. I load the Nisos and it's not there, I export it in .ftl and in game it's not there. In Superluminal it does instead.
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 am

Ah yeah, it'll probably lose that, sorry! Never added anything for the artillery at all, but I should probably make it preserve it if it's already there
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
ThaMobSlayer

Postby ThaMobSlayer » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 pm

It doesnt work, whenever I click on one of the three creating options, this message pops up: "Unhandled exeption has occured in a component in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue." And if I click continue, nothing happens. Second line of text (The more important one): "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Jonas\Desktop\FTL Shipeditor\data\data\blueprint.xml' " So that sucks, any help?
MikuMikuCookie

Postby MikuMikuCookie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:45 pm

ThaMobSlayer wrote:It doesnt work, whenever I click on one of the three creating options, this message pops up: "Unhandled exeption has occured in a component in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue." And if I click continue, nothing happens. Second line of text (The more important one): "Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Jonas\Desktop\FTL Shipeditor\data\data\blueprint.xml' " So that sucks, any help?

I didn't read the past few pages of the thread, so I'm going to go by just this one post:

Are you sure you extracted the files? And if so, double check and make absolutely sure the program is listing the correct path to the xml.