[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
thashepherd

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.9] (Updated 5th Decem

Postby thashepherd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't know what to tell you - it takes time, it takes process, it takes effort. I know that *almost* all of the custom ships released in the newest wave of mods were created using this tool. It's flawed, sure, but it's SO much better than the alternative (no tool) that you'd better get used to it lol.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
RECONmarine2579

Postby RECONmarine2579 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm

thashepherd wrote:I don't know what to tell you - it takes time, it takes process, it takes effort. I know that *almost* all of the custom ships released in the newest wave of mods were created using this tool. It's flawed, sure, but it's SO much better than the alternative (no tool) that you'd better get used to it lol.
Its a great tool I realize I've never really been good at tweaking games in the first place I'm more of the downloading the mod and playing it (although i'm really interested in game design) I'll screw with it from time to time and maybe it will work

This could also be do to the fact that I didn't really get your instructions (not your fault)
At step 4 are you saying I create the ship put the files together and then go back into the editor and do the weapons, shields etc?

P.S what's gibs

EDIT: Also I tried tweaking the stats of the Burst Laser mk II, I tried to make it so that the Burst Laser shot 5 shots and did 5 damage but when I went into the game It was normal

I realize that changing the damage is probably a hole lot more in depth then changing a number to 5 but I'm just curious
RECONmarine2579

Postby RECONmarine2579 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 am

Sooooo..... I took a step in the right direction at least...

Now all the stuff I added (weapons, systems etc.) are all their now

But...... still offset like a ******

On a another note would changing the X and Y offset and the vertical? I'm kinda screwing around in the .txt file

EDIT: Soooo I got in the game and my ship was still offset (not surprised) any way when I put the ship back in the editor the ship was fine.... suggestions?

EDIT 2: What I mean is that I put it back in the editor and It looked fine but when I got in the game it was still off set *sigh*
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:42 am

Sorry about the slow updates! Got caught up in Ludum Dare this weekend :)
(For anyone who cares, here's my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=7085 )

Anyway, new version of FTLEdit is up, this should fix the issue with the image pos/size exporting :)
http://jacobkeane.co.uk/FTLShipEdit.zip
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
Jadefire

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.91] (Updated 18th Dec

Postby Jadefire » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:32 am

I downloaded this and FTLdat. I ran it and extracted it. Everything was working fine. But When I try to select a ship, the list is empty and it says no blueprints found is %rar###%. When I try to make one from scratch it say "No path/path/path/blueprints.xml" I have no idea what to do. I really think this program looks great.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:35 am

Darkfrost wrote:Sorry about the slow updates! Got caught up in Ludum Dare this weekend :)
(For anyone who cares, here's my entry: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=7085 )

Anyway, new version of FTLEdit is up, this should fix the issue with the image pos/size exporting :)
http://jacobkeane.co.uk/FTLShipEdit.zip

Yay, new version! *goes to play*
Also, tried your evil-tractor thing. Keyword tried. Took about ten attempts to download (kept getting broken archives, 4.5mb, 3.1mb, etc, wouldn't complete), and when it finally did download the whole thing properly, it wouldn't run. "Not a valid Win32 application." Guess it's not compatible with WinXP and older systems?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:42 am

Jadefire wrote:I downloaded this and FTLdat. I ran it and extracted it. Everything was working fine. But When I try to select a ship, the list is empty and it says no blueprints found is %rar###%. When I try to make one from scratch it say "No path/path/path/blueprints.xml" I have no idea what to do. I really think this program looks great.

Hit options when you start it up, in the top right, and set up the file paths :)

Yay, new version! *goes to play*
Also, tried your evil-tractor thing. Keyword tried. Took about ten attempts to download (kept getting broken archives, 4.5mb, 3.1mb, etc, wouldn't complete), and when it finally did download the whole thing properly, it wouldn't run. "Not a valid Win32 application." Guess it's not compatible with WinXP and older systems?

Bah, probably my webhost just being terrible, although FTLEdit is hosted on the same thing, does anyone ever have problems downloading it? I could move it to somewhere more reliable if it's a consistent thing.

And damn :( It's targeted at .NET Framework 4.5, which I don't think works on XP. I'll try exporting it targetting an earlier version sometime, gonna be heading back home for Christmas tomorrow, so I'll be away for a day or so... let's hope FTLEdit didn't change to target 4.5 too (I've gone from using Visual studio 2010 to 2012 now)

Also, it's open source now, over at GitHub https://github.com/Darkfrost/FTLEdit
If anyone feels like helping out, drop me a message or a pull request or something! :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
RECONmarine2579

Postby RECONmarine2579 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 pm

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU
My ships aren't off set any more
Tassyr

Postby Tassyr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:05 am

Okay, I need some help. For some reason this ship makes the game crash out. I went in and edited manually after positioning the rooms, so the graphics wouldn't distort- and now it creates a runtime error and crashes. Can anyone figure out WHY? x.x

https://www.dropbox.com/s/in27ekpksw6ia ... -53-06.ftl
Jyggalag

Postby Jyggalag » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi
I have a problem trying to get started with FTLEdit.
I don't have ftldat installed nor do I really intend to except if it's neccesary.(but I have unpacked the .dat and resoucre)
When I locate the folders and clcik extract, a window quicly pops up and then disappears. (I'm sorry if you allready have explained this, but I just didn't feel like going through 30 forum pages.
Any help is much appriciated :)