[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Darkfrost

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby Darkfrost » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:53 pm

The editor can be anywhere, but you seem to be missing some of the files from the zip that it comes in
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
bobirov

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.87] (Please test!)

Postby bobirov » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 pm

suron wrote:How do you set up the beam the Fed Cruiser uses onto another ship? or is this even possible yet? if not, do you plan on putting this in?

If you look in the blueprints.xml file for the Federation Ship you'll see that the artillery is added via a <artillery power="1" room="6"/> tag. You can add this (in an empty room) and presumably add the arty beam to your ships. I haven't tried yet myself.

suron wrote:On a couple ships I edited (and ended up having to delete) sometimes the "manned" station on the bridge is in the wrong spot (mostly noticable on a 2-room left->right room..it'll be on the left most tile instead of the right one) Is there a way to fix this? and as above, if not are you adding a function to set where the interaction is?

For my custom Kestrel I just replaced the pilot declaration from FTLEdit with the one from the original ship:

Code: Select all

<pilot power="1" room="0" start="true" img="room_pilot">
   <slot>
      <direction>right</direction>
      <number>0</number>
   </slot>
</pilot>

The number there I believe is the square within the room to place the seat and I think it goes like this:
0 1
2 3

The same <slot> tag can be used for the medbay and others as well I believe.

suron wrote:Last Kestrel I edited the "shield" was smaller than the ship itself for some reason..any ideas why?

I'm having this same problem and was wondering if anyone knows how to work around it? I've added <shieldImage> and <cloakimage> tags to the blueprint and also tried swapping around the img and layout in the <shipBluePrint> declaration, neither seemed to work. And yes, I re-packed after making the changes.

Its not a major issue but it winds up leaving the cockpit and maybe a few other rooms outside of the protection of the shield.

P.S.
Thanks much for this program, it is was finally motivated me to get ftldat and start playing around tweaking my own ships. I felt this functionality was lacking in the game and it adds to replayability if you can play with your own ship designs.
winterpwner

Postby winterpwner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Darkfrost wrote:The editor can be anywhere, but you seem to be missing some of the files from the zip that it comes in

Hm... Can you post the latest version with the complete files? I downloaded the most recent one and it doesn't seem to like 64 bit windows 7. (i.e the CMD line that extracts the data.dat and resources.dat closes immediately.)
bobirov

Postby bobirov » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:43 pm

bobirov wrote:
suron wrote:Last Kestrel I edited the "shield" was smaller than the ship itself for some reason..any ideas why?

I'm having this same problem and was wondering if anyone knows how to work around it? I've added <shieldImage> and <cloakimage> tags to the blueprint and also tried swapping around the img and layout in the <shipBluePrint> declaration, neither seemed to work. And yes, I re-packed after making the changes.

Its not a major issue but it winds up leaving the cockpit and maybe a few other rooms outside of the protection of the shield.

I think I figured it out, I believe this is what was produced by FTLEdit for the shield tag:

<shields power="2" room="5" start="true" img="room_pilot" />

When I changed the img="room_pilot" to img="room_shields" I think it fixed this particular issue.

YMMV
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 pm

bobirov wrote:I think I figured it out, I believe this is what was produced by FTLEdit for the shield tag:

When I changed the img="room_pilot" to img="room_shields" I think it fixed this particular issue.

YMMV

Doh! Thanks, that'll be fixed in the next release

The shield size, I believe is set by the
ELLIPSE
part at the top of the layout txt file (Width, height, x offset, y offset I assume?). No way to change this inside the editor yet, but I'll add it at some point :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:50 pm

bobirov wrote:
bobirov wrote:

I think I figured it out, I believe this is what was produced by FTLEdit for the shield tag:

YMMV

I believe suron is referring to the shield image and not the shield system (i.e. room) image.

I don't know what this editor is doing (i'm doing ships by hand until a fully functional editor comes out), but the size of the shield is contained in kestral.txt

ELLIPSE

First line is 1/2 width, second is 1/2 height, third is x offset, fourth is y offset.

Edit: Ah, beaten by seconds by DarkFrost.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Cooly568

Postby Cooly568 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Stupid question, how do you rotate doors.
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Space bar!
leveluptime

Postby leveluptime » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:33 am

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge in this field of modding.
I am not exactly the most intelligent man in the world, but when I grasp the concept of something, I don't let go too easily. xP

Anyways.
I've tried editing the Stealth Cruiser Type B (DA-SR 12), but can't seem to replace my ship in-game, nor can I replace the one located at the screen where you select your ship.
I've honestly no clue how to work this out.

I found my game files in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\resources

I've tried saving things(such as .ftl, .xml, .txt) to there, the folder I made for this editor (extracted), and the game folder (My Documents>My Games>FasterThanLight).
I'm almost certain the game folder is incorrect, as there are only two .sav files there.

Please help me out?
I can provide any other information if necessary.

Cheers!
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Haven't heard any bug reports in a while, which is good :D So it should be pretty stable now, I'll start adding some of the missing features