[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Rivers

Re: [MOD TOOL][WIP]FTLEdit: An FTL Ship editor

Postby Rivers » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm curious, down the line will you be able to add in your own ship design/images to the editor, so that we can create its own room design and weapon choices...?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Rivers wrote:I'm curious, down the line will you be able to add in your own ship design/images to the editor, so that we can create its own room design and weapon choices...?

What do you mean? :-/
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
LULZferBAKON

Postby LULZferBAKON » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:48 am

Will it be possible to equip ships with an artillery beam or is it just hard-coded for the Federation Ship? I didn't see anything about that in the pictures, so I'm curious.
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:24 pm

LULZferBAKON wrote:Will it be possible to equip ships with an artillery beam or is it just hard-coded for the Federation Ship? I didn't see anything about that in the pictures, so I'm curious.

This works perfectly fine. If you want to experiment with it:
unpack data.dat
open the blueprints.xml
search for the ship you want to add the artillery to.
add this line under the <systemList> tag: <artillery power="1" room="6"/>
save, repack.

You can add multiple artillery systems, and they are shown in the layout, but only the first one seems to work.

Edit: There are multiple artillery Systems(like the 4 the boss is using), but i have no idea how it is determined which is used. Seems like we are stuck with only the artillery beam. You can mod the one to do pretty much everything, though.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:51 pm

tazardar wrote:This works perfectly fine. If you want to experiment with it:
unpack data.dat
open the blueprints.xml
save, repack.

You can add multiple artillery systems, and they are shown in the layout, but only the first one seems to work.

Edit: There are multiple artillery Systems(like the 4 the boss is using), but i have no idea how it is determined which is used. Seems like we are stuck with only the artillery beam. You can mod the one to do pretty much everything, though.

Have you tested at all to see if it's possible to tie any arbitrary weapon to the artillery rooms, as the Flagship has? I don't see anything in the game's blueprints for the Flagship, but wasn't sure if you'd played with it any further.
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
tazardar wrote:This works perfectly fine. If you want to experiment with it:
unpack data.dat
open the blueprints.xml
save, repack.

Have you tested at all to see if it's possible to tie any arbitrary weapon to the artillery rooms, as the Flagship has? I don't see anything in the game's blueprints for the Flagship, but wasn't sure if you'd played with it any further.

No unfortunately, there is only one artillery system and i did not find a way to assign a weaponBlueprint to it. But maybe i'm missing something. Either that or its hard coded. I hope i'm just blind.
tazardar

Postby tazardar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Darkfrost, you are currently working on XML reading, right?

Do you too have the feeling that the devs are evil, EVIL people that left all those little mistakes, like closing a <gib1> with a </gib2> or commenting before the declaration, in on purpose, just to screw with us?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 am

Hah! I wouldn't think they did it on purpose :p But judging by it, it looks like they must've handwritten their xml files, and loading code, or atleast handwrote their writing code for it aswell!

But yeah, I've got it all loaded / saving now, I just need to make the thing a bit more easy to use before I release it :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, I should have a test build posted up later today, it's still missing a few features, mainly stuff to do with the ship.xml file. It'll export the layout txt and blueprint xml fine, but the ship xml file still needs some more work :(

It's definately not production ready yet, without some manual editing of the files after to fix things up, but it should help out a bit!

Some of the stuff that's missing:
- Setting crew members
- Gibs
- Weapon mounts
Probably other stuff i've forgotten about too, but if people remind me I'll get them added pretty soon :)
Tuesday

Postby Tuesday » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm

Darkfrost wrote:Well, I should have a test build posted up later today, it's still missing a few features, mainly stuff to do with the ship.xml file. It'll export the layout txt and blueprint xml fine, but the ship xml file still needs some more work :(

It's definately not production ready yet, without some manual editing of the files after to fix things up, but it should help out a bit!

Some of the stuff that's missing:
- Setting crew members
- Gibs
- Weapon mounts
Probably other stuff i've forgotten about too, but if people remind me I'll get them added pretty soon :)

As long as it doesnt misplace the ship image and rooms like all the other editors do, I couldnt care less about the features honestly.