Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
The_Bear

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby The_Bear » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:01 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:1. Since the game has some naration in it - like NPCs telling you what to do and where to go, someone will have to read what NPCs say and tell it to other players.
Because NPCs don't say the same thing to every player, as soon as the quest is initiated NPC will have something new to say.
I wan't all players to be aware of what's going on and where the plot leads.
So this means that all CBT players will have to be on a skype group call.
So req #1 - being able to engage in a skype group call.

My spoken English is really bad and if I record the talking might be in it unless there is a setting for that, so I so I don't have that requirement.
2. I'm not sure yet how long can a full play-through take in time. But in any case I need players that can stay in the game for at least 1-2 ours.
Because we will be playing as a team on 1 ship, and if someone just leaves as soon as we make the first 2 jumps - well this sucks.

I can play for two hours on most days, but not mondays, wednesdays and the next few weekends.
3. Enjoy playing Tachyon and not be a douche bag. ;)

I enjoy the game and am not a douche bag.
4. I need to record the game play for the trailer, but my own laptop is quite old and probably won't handle a game recording, plus I will be controlling the server side.
So I need players that can record the game(it is important that the recording goes with the game sounds BUT without the skype talks)

I can record but I dont think I can remove the skype talk, but I won't be accepted anyway since I don't want to be in the skype group call.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 pm

I can probably play an hour on a weekend, but I'd have to see which weekends I'm available. I hope we don't need too much experience playing since I haven't been able to play that much. I can record my end of you need it.
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:57 am

I will hopefully be able to join you, though I don't have Skype yet. I also have no means of recording it.
This is a bad signature. :|
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Basically some one will have to be the captain of the ship.
And he will do most of the interaction with NPCs.
I guess If that person has good enough spoken english he can read out all the talks to other team members.

Another option is that I can add a new feature:
When someone talks to an NPC in person and you are standing close buy - you see all their talk in your chat.
Or of someone is talking to an NPC remotely from the captain's bridge, their conversation is broadcasted to everyone on the ship (also in chat)

Should I add such a feature?
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:25 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:Basically some one will have to be the captain of the ship.
I guess If that person has good enough spoken english he can read out all the talks to other team members.

When someone talks to an NPC in person and you are standing close buy - you see all their talk in your chat.
Or of someone is talking to an NPC remotely from the captain's bridge, their conversation is broadcasted to everyone on the ship (also in chat)

Add both.
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:57 pm

The_Bear wrote:

Add both.

Yeah, good idea.
Chickengames

Postby Chickengames » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:07 am

The_Bear wrote:

Add both.

It sounds like a good idea, but maybe add a switch to turn broadcasting to the whole ship on or off. So people on the ship aren't spammed with stuff they don't want to see.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 am

Latest update:

1. I've added the new feature, now if the player that is talking to the NPC is visible to you - you will see their dialogue in chat.
We'll see how it works out. For the first run I think it should do.
2. Finished drawing new Human mob sprites for all animations. It looks similar to the old one though, because I used that one as base.
3. Updated the TODO list.
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:06 pm

A bit unrelated to the recent posts but,
Spektor, do you think you could step me through how to make random pirate spawn events.
Thanks
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:52 am

This is unrevealed to what the recent posts have been but,
Spektor can you teach me how to make a random pirate spawn event for a0.6?
Thanks