Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
kcd.Spektor

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:22 pm

The_Bear wrote:Could you make it so you can't use weapons at spawn or something like that. I can't have ships at spawn without someone destroying it.

Just hide them somewhere else :)
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:
The_Bear wrote:Could you make it so you can't use weapons at spawn or something like that. I can't have ships at spawn without someone destroying it.

Just hide them somewhere else :)

Fine. I just cant use spawn or show my self to anyone, seems fair.
Last edited by The_Bear on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Srul

Postby Srul » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Make a ship with a shipyard, and RUUUN!!! Then, use this ship to make other ships. Or find someone who destroys your ships, and kill him irl / ask him to stop destroying your ships / declare him war.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Dear person that's destroying my ships.
Could you please stop it's really frustrating and I dont get why you do it.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:26 pm

The_Bear wrote:Dear person that's destroying my ships.
Could you please stop it's really frustrating and I dont get why you do it.

Ok I'll stop. :mrgreen:
Why do it? - Cuz what else is there to do?

Just kidding. :D

But seriously, I do log in some times and just do a clean up on spawn :)
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:32 pm

kcd.Spektor wrote:
MikieRpg wrote:What do you mean by that? I have the image in my client folder and in the server folder, but i need jrb, or spektor to add it right?(unless i host my own server(Which my computer would probably blow up if i tried))

If your ships use images(ship and icon) from the default pack, then you can give the model file to jrb and he can add it to the server.
If you use custom images then you need to give me the images and the model file, and I will add it to the default pack in the next update.

My launcher is finished and is tested to work with the oracle and icedtea implementations of java web start. A new server using that launcher will be up later today or tomorrow.

It works like this:
  • server: launcher creates a backup of the database
  • server: launcher downloads a git repository with all data and does a hard reset to the specified commit
  • server: launcher restores the backup of the database
  • server: launcher downloads the server.jar if needed
  • server: launcher generates the .jnlp file for the client
  • server: launcher starts a new process where the server is invoked

• client: user clicks to a link
  • client: java web start downloads the .jnlp file and the launcher and does some security checks
  • client: java web start starts the launcher
  • client: launcher downloads a git repository with all data and does a hard reset to the commit of the server
  • client: launcher downloads the client.jar if needed
  • client: launcher generates the Data/GameData.dat
  • client: launcher starts a new process where the client is invoked
  • client: launcher simulates input events to click through the menus to the login screen
  • client: user logs in or creates a new account
  • client: user plays

If you want to add new content to the server, push a commit to a git repo. The server will automatically download it on the next restart.
MikieRpg

Postby MikieRpg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:24 pm

jrb00001 wrote:If your ships use images(ship and icon) from the default pack, then you can give the model file to jrb and he can add it to the server.
If you use custom images then you need to give me the images and the model file, and I will add it to the default pack in the next update.
My launcher is finished and is tested to work with the oracle and icedtea implementations of java web start. A new server using that launcher will be up later today or tomorrow.

It works like this:
  • server: launcher creates a backup of the database
  • server: launcher downloads a git repository with all data and does a hard reset to the specified commit
  • server: launcher restores the backup of the database
  • server: launcher downloads the server.jar if needed
  • server: launcher generates the .jnlp file for the client
  • server: launcher starts a new process where the server is invoked

• client: user clicks to a link
  • client: java web start downloads the .jnlp file and the launcher and does some security checks
  • client: java web start starts the launcher
  • client: launcher downloads a git repository with all data and does a hard reset to the commit of the server
  • client: launcher downloads the client.jar if needed
  • client: launcher generates the Data/GameData.dat
  • client: launcher starts a new process where the client is invoked
  • client: launcher simulates input events to click through the menus to the login screen
  • client: user logs in or creates a new account
  • client: user plays

If you want to add new content to the server, push a commit to a git repo. The server will automatically download it on the next restart.

My mind just blew up... and what is a git repo?
And could someone translate this to english? i dont speak hexidecmbinarygibdatacodian. :oops: :mrgreen:
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 pm

MikieRpg wrote:My mind just blew up... and what is a git repo?
And could someone translate this to english? i dont speak hexidecmbinarygibdatacodian. :oops: :mrgreen:

It is difficult to explain. Git is a way to store files with a full history. If two users edit the same file, git can merge them automatically. If there is a conflict, git tells you exactly in which file and on which line you need to decide which version you want. Read here for more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29

The most important feature for my launcher is the history. That way, the client does only download the changes and it can reset to the same version as the server.
DiEvAl

Postby DiEvAl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi.

4. Rogue AI - Unmanned AI ships.
AI that was created by humans but as always the AI acknowledged it self as a being and went rogue and escaped from human’s control. After some logical evolution the AI came to conclusion that it must cleanse the universe of all life forms.

I hope that cleansing the universe is not its final goal, but just an intermediate step necessary to e.g. turn all matter in the universe into paperclips. I'm so tired of all the fictional AIs who have goals indistinguishable from those of human villains, even though orthogonality principle says that "more or less any level of intelligence could in principle be combined with more or less any final goal".

2. Where is the git repo?

3. Do you have any plans for procedurally generated ships and stations?
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:49 pm

DiEvAl wrote:2. Where is the git repo?

The http access (read only) is at https://git.static-692b8c32.de/tachyonuniverse.git.
The ssh access (key auth only but read write) will be at ssh://git@git.692b8c32.de/tachyonuniverse.git after the next dns update.