Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:08 pm
Vhati wrote:Where did you read that?Hyperdrive wrote:I kinda agree with the choices so far, except the idea of using float numbers for hull life.
page 26 :
John Luke Pack Hard wrote:I just had a thought about per pixel damage vs damage repair behaviors.
In a sense, damage already functions on a floating-point basis;
- When crew repair an system
- When boarders damage a system
- When fire damages a system
Each one progresses by slowly turning a unit of power (a bar on the interface) red or yellow, based on damage or repair. When the action fully fills the bar, the system is repaired a unit or damaged a unit. If the action's source is extinguished, the bar reverts back to its original state of damaged or intact.
To integrate per-pixel damage, all we simply have to do is
1. Incompletely damaged or repaired power units don't have their progress reverted if the operator source disappears.
2. Per-pixel damage beams inflict damage in the same style of fires or boarders as they travel along a room.
This only requires coding the systems so that "system damage" and/or "hull points" is/or stored as a floating point value. Nothing too intensive.
I also found the idea of per-pixel damage for beams strange. Can you imagine ? "Yeah, I play with the maximum screen resolution. I need to put three screens side by side, but I have a über beam that does 200% damage"