[Modding] Database for FTL Mods

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Zushii

[Modding] Database for FTL Mods

Postby Zushii » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Since the modding community has taken off so fast and we are slowly loosing complete oversight of what mods exist, I thought I'd help out.
I've seen that there is a mod list, but I know from experience, that this is more of a provisional thing than actually fixing the issue.

I run a website called Xenolith. It's a mod hosting website for indie games.

I think it would be good idea, to host mods at a central place and create a hub for all mods. This would make things much easier. The site is super easy to use and offers several useful features.

Here are some features:

- Maintain a list of all your favorite mods.
    - Subscribe and be notified when updates arrive.
    - Give constructive criticism and help develop the mod!
    - No download limit, no speed limit.

And here are some more, modder orientated, features:

- Add as many files and images as you want.
    - Track your visits and downloads in detailed analytical data. Full Graphs and everything!
    - Transfer your forum posts to our site with ease! It's as easy as copy & paste!
    - Optional: Choose from six creative commons licenses and let others know what they can do with your creation.

Link to the website: http://xenolith.ws

Here is an example of how a mod will be presented:
http://xenolith.ws/mod/116/v1-01-battle-ender

If you need help with using the site I'm happy to help, just send an email to axel@xenolith.ws or use the contact form on the site.

Happy modding!
Xenolith: The Mod Database
Easy Mod management, easy downloading and instant notifications when updates arrive!
Now supports FTL!
marksteele

Re: [Modding] Database for FTL Mods

Postby marksteele » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:53 pm

ehhh I could see it used as a place to download files from, however sites like that make it hard to give feedback. The forums provide a better environment in my opinion.
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:11 pm

marksteele wrote:ehhh I could see it used as a place to download files from, however sites like that make it hard to give feedback. The forums provide a better environment in my opinion.

In what way do you think that the site offers a "not-good" feedback system? All players can post comments and tips on how they think the mod could improve, much like a forum does.

I'm always happy for feedback.
Easy Mod management, easy downloading and instant notifications when updates arrive!
Now supports FTL!
thenightgaunt

Postby thenightgaunt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 pm

I too prefer a forum. Or a nexus style site. But either way I'm not going to bitch about someone doing something about the mod situation. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any movement on this forum to get a special modding section.
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:09 pm

thenightgaunt wrote:I too prefer a forum. Or a nexus style site. But either way I'm not going to bitch about someone doing something about the mod situation. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any movement on this forum to get a special modding section.

Well Xenolith is similar to the nexus mods in that respect. Forums are great for discussion no doubting that, but when the forums fill up you soon loose an overview of what mods exist and there is no filtering etc. Having everything in one spot (and not spread across tons of different filehosters or having threads that are depended on the thread owner for updates) is just much easier.

I talked to the developer and he said, that there won't be any official mod support.
If the developers aren't doing anything in that direction, why not use something that exists to help?
Now supports FTL!
marksteele

Postby marksteele » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Zushii wrote:
thenightgaunt wrote:I too prefer a forum. Or a nexus style site. But either way I'm not going to bitch about someone doing something about the mod situation. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any movement on this forum to get a special modding section.

Well Xenolith is similar to the nexus mods in that respect. Forums are great for discussion no doubting that, but when the forums fill up you soon loose an overview of what mods exist and there is no filtering etc. Having everything in one spot (and not spread across tons of different filehosters or having threads that are depended on the thread owner for updates) is just much easier.

I talked to the developer and he said, that there won't be any official mod support.
If the developers aren't doing anything in that direction, why not use something that exists to help?

I think you are slightly mistaken. Official mod support means something in the realm of an modding API.

(personally I also dislike the site because its ad driven)
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:47 pm

marksteele wrote:I think you are slightly mistaken. Official mod support means something in the realm of an modding API.
(personally I also dislike the site because its ad driven)

Yes ofc. not an API, but we don't even have a modding section on the forums. The developer I talked to didn't even have modding in mind and said he might check it out, because people are posting stuff.

Oh and ads? I was checking if they made any sense. I took them out today. They aren't much use, even though I would have liked to be compensated for my work as a developer. ;)
Now supports FTL!
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 am

I wanted to drop in and tell you guys about the new website wide competition we have going.

Every month the users pick a winner. The winner receives a video by a popular YouTuber and a cash prize. Every mod is automatically qualified, it just needs to be uploaded.

Here is the first winner:
http://xenolith.ws/post/37/mod-of-the-m ... rgy-plugin

All about MotM:
http://xenolith.ws/mod-of-the-month

Thought I'd tell you since some FTL modders uploaded their mods to Xenolith.
Now supports FTL!
Law

Postby Law » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:53 am

From using the site to upload mods, the only complaint I have about it is the conversion of screenshots/cover images to jpg. I found the artifacts created were rather... noticeable.

Else, I can't find much to complain about. It's quite a good site.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
Zushii

Postby Zushii » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Law wrote:From using the site to upload mods, the only complaint I have about it is the conversion of screenshots/cover images to jpg. I found the artifacts created were rather... noticeable.

Else, I can't find much to complain about. It's quite a good site.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm currently reprogramming the image upload, because it's something I haven't touched ever since launch.
It's definitely gonna improve.
Now supports FTL!