FTL Halo mod

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Dusty1400

FTL Halo mod

Postby Dusty1400 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:51 am

Hey,
I had, what I though, was a great idea: create a mod that changes the FTL story to the Halo story. I really love the Halo story and I think it could be fit into FTL really well. All it would take is the replacement of the Kestrel with a Paris Class frigate (I think this would be balanced), with a MAC cannon artillery system and a Leto or 2 as default weapons, the change of the prompts and in gaming messaging, some background changes, and changing Mantis to Elite, Rock to Brute, Engi to Engineer, I'm not quite sure for Zoltans or Lanius.

Anyway this is a gigantic fantasy I have made however... I do not have any modding skills so if someone would be willing to partner with me, help me or even show me in the write direction for making this dream a reality that would be TRUELLY AWESOME!
Last edited by Dusty1400 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Re: FTL Halo mod

Postby stylesrj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:56 am

The Rebels would have to be changed into Covenant or something... which would be ruined by the fact that the Rebels are Humans, so Insurrectionists?

Either that or give the ships Sangheili or Jiralhanae crew (both sharing the same ship? Unlikely!)

Heh, Lanius could be Grunts (Or Ungoggy... but I like Grunt) but Grunts don't take the oxygen out of a room and are quite swift. Ghosts maybe - don't breathe and are highly fragile. Jackals (or Kig-Yar) would match the bird motif best though of Lanius, although oxygen problems.

But then if you're running from the Covenant, you shouldn't be able to buy any of the crew...
Dusty1400

Postby Dusty1400 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 pm

I would probably want the Rebels (yes they're currently human) changed to different breads of the Covenant. *yes, groaning sounds* I don't think making the Rebel threat innies would make it any better either, for I don't think a massive assault would be that much of a threat on a UNSC strong hold in comparison to that of the Covenant. The innies only had a number of ships and only a couple times they would fleet together, more often they would be one rouge ship that would trick UNSC ships into following it into a asteroid field or singling them out. I was thinking the innies would show up as hostile ships here and there.

Also the Covenant are invading on human territories so I think you be able to pick of some crew here in there.

Yes you are right, the Sangheili and Jiralhana thing is a real problem and I'm not quite sure how to approach that, maybe they would be racing each other but separate fleets so if you encounter a Covenant ship it would either be all Sangheili or all Jiralhana.

Yes the Lanius could be grunts.

I was thinking a story kind of along these lines:
{Beginning Message}
You are the captain of the UNSC Crazy Horse orbiting <Insert Name of Planet> when a Covenant Fleet appears. Being the only UNSC ship in the system, you immediately order the evacuation of all civilians from the planet and prepare for escape yourself, for your ship stands no chance against 13 Covenant ships. You and other civilian ships have gathered as many of the planet’s people as possible. By this time the Covenant fleet is quite close, they disable the engines of a freighter, the last ship in the group escaping the system. You are horrified to find that that the crew of the freighter did not uphold the Cole Protocol, giving the Covenant Fleet the location of Earth and the Inner Colonies.

You must get to Earth before the Covenant Fleet to warn Earth about the upcoming invasion.

{Hostile Encounter 1 – Sector 1 – Surrender: Yes}
The crew of a freighter is over run by Insurrectionists previously hidden among the planet’s refuges. The Insurrectionists then demand your surrender your ship in the name of Red Fist and they turn The freighter around weapons red hot and missile silos open. It looks like you will have to fight.

{Possible Hostile Encounter 1 – Sector 1 – Surrender: No}
A remote Covenant scout approaches the fleet of escaping ships. It selects a unarmed civilian luxury vessel.
1. Save the civilian vessel
2. You don’t have time for this, leave the ship to the doom.
{Forced Boarding – Sector * -- Surrender: N/A}
A cloaked covenant prowler stalked your ship and forcefully boarded to kill your crew and obtain military communications codes and anything they can get out of your computer. You have can’t let them achieve their goal!
JustcauseUK

Postby JustcauseUK » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:37 pm

This could be done but it would take along time. I can do a couple of basic designs for you if you want me to.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Before I go ahead any further with ideas, I'm a big Halo fan but I haven't read any of the latest books (like the Forerunner prequels... it's about a warrior and a librarian having a lover's spat isn't it?) so my knowledge would be limited to... well not much really.

So with that said, maybe the goal isn't to save Earth but save the galaxy. Instead of being chased by the Covenant, maybe it's the Flood! That can explain a whole lot as to why separate races of the Covenant would be working on a UNSC vessel, plus it could work into the later canon.

Although being chased by Covenant does work better.

Dusty1400 wrote:I would probably want the Rebels (yes they're currently human) changed to different breads of the Covenant. *yes, groaning sounds*

The problem is that since we can't add extra races to the game, old ones have to be overwritten and honestly, I hate playing FTL with a full-human crew. So defectors could be an option or allies, depending on what time you want.

I don't think making the Rebel threat innies would make it any better either, for I don't think a massive assault would be that much of a threat on a UNSC strong hold in comparison to that of the Covenant. The innies only had a number of ships and only a couple times they would fleet together, more often they would be one rouge ship that would trick UNSC ships into following it into a asteroid field or singling them out. I was thinking the innies would show up as hostile ships here and there.

Or they might be friendly enough and help delay the fleet. It's Humanity at stake here and while most hate the UNSC, wasn't there that friendly asteroid in First Strike? Strawberries were involved too like all sci-fis.

Also the Covenant are invading on human territories so I think you be able to pick of some crew here in there.

Maybe the Elites and Brutes (yeah I'm inconsistent with using proper names) could also have defectors. And Jackals are mercenaries so they'll go if you pay them.

Yes you are right, the Sangheili and Jiralhana thing is a real problem and I'm not quite sure how to approach that, maybe they would be racing each other but separate fleets so if you encounter a Covenant ship it would either be all Sangheili or all Jiralhana.

With Huragok... Engineers as crew. The Elite vessels that is. The Prophets wouldn't give the Brutes one (Contact Harvest ya'll!)

Yes the Lanius could be grunts.

Who drain rooms of their oxygen, despite wearing sealed tanks... this might pose a problem. Unless...

Here's my suggestions for what could be replaced with what:

Humans - Humans (of course. Variations include male, female, armoured)
Engi - Huragok (Honestly, who wouldn't?)
Zoltan - Grunts (Maybe they can power systems with portable power packs... or the methane is a fuel. It also explodes upon death. It ties into being fragile and we're working with limited possibilities)
Rockman - Jiralhanae
Mantis - Sangheili
Ghosts - Jackals (maybe they're in sealed suits? But still, fragile) or Drones (Yan-mee, whatever. They can breathe in space and are incredibly fragile.)
Lanius - Flood

And finally... here's an event:

You find the stern of an old UNSC Frigate drifting through space, heading towards what appears to be a metallic planet. The planet is giving an ominous glow and you're uncertain you want to be there.

1) Search the ship for life
2) Get out of here!

1a) You search the ship and find traces of the Flood. You burn it away and get out of there, salvaging a few materials.
1b) Before you approach, the planet opens up and begins dragging in materials. You barely manage to escape, but it cost you some fuel and hull damage.
1c) You find a rambling AI trying to direct you to what appears to be a damaged cryopod. You immediately grab it and head out of the ship - the planet is glowing brighter! Perhaps someone knows how to open it.

2) Wise choice. You don't want to deal with Forerunner tech at this stage. Who knows what might happen if you approach that planet.

Then you take the pod to a UNSC Research Station...

The pod opens up and what appears to be a Human in green armour. He says he's been drifting for quite some time and would like to return to the UNSC. You welcome him aboard.

Gain 1 Spartan Crew Member named John.

Yeah, replace Crystals with Spartans. How do they lockdown a room? Bubble Shield!
Dusty1400

Re: [SHIP] Nerd Cubed Fighter

Postby Dusty1400 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am

Thanks! To be honest, I haven't read the newer novels about the Librarian's love life either.

Possible new idea for who everyone is running from:
Many of the prophets disappeared after the Great Betrayal in Halo 3, no one knows where.

Maybe they disappeared to a Forerunner Shield World that had a long forgotten Forerunner fleet on it (like in Halo Wars). The Prophets seek revenge against everyone for their treachery and they now have a navy that their weak bodies can use!

Heh, maybe?