zabing12 has some ideas.

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: zabing12 has some ideas.

Postby NarnKar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:56 am

You'll want to add your drone images to ship>drones> [your images].

I'm not sure if you have the proper number of images or not. I think you do, but you can also add engine animations.

I retract my previous statement, by the way: digging through the files, it turns out that the weapons attached to the drones do show up. I guess in the beam drone, the beam itself is mounted so that it doesn't show up.

CE has drone weapons with the guns of the drone in the ship>drones directory, and those guns are layered on top of the base drone image, which is weird to me??? I don't know why the beam of the basic beam drone doesn't show up, but the effector of the anti-drone effector-drone shows??? I'm not really an expert on drones???

Good luck, I guess, heh. If you figure things out, do let me know!
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:01 am

How do you enlarge images then make them clear? because this: (http://www.mediafire.com/view/mlnftmo7s ... %20one.png) is too small.
Last edited by zabing12 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:09 am

NarnKar wrote:CE has drone weapons with the guns of the drone in the ship>drones directory, and those guns are layered on top of the base drone image, which is weird to me??? I don't know why the beam of the basic beam drone doesn't show up, but the effector of the anti-drone effector-drone shows???

Combat and defense drones are animated differently. Only defense drones will use the _gun image. As you already mentioned, drones never actually display the weapon image defined in their weapons blueprint.
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 am

Not an expert? I guess you've outlived your usefulness, Narkar. Put your head down. *loads shotgun*

We need an expert on ze drones.

How big do they have to be? ___x___?

I have an image, but I don't know how big it needs to be. (right now it's 14x11 pixels.)

So, Sleeper, your endless loot addon, could the prefixes instead be Hulls for the drones? I of course, haven't take it apart yet, and don't know how you made it, but what would it take?

Hows this for a drone? (haven't got much more time, so graphics are crappy).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fdb8rp4ke9awevo/drone.zip
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 am

The image files are 64 x 64, but a good size for actual drones is a ball of about diameter 30ish pixels, give or take. I see you've got that in your mod already--nice!

sleeperService/rannl's Endless Loot tool is a separate program that procedurally generated all the weapons with formulas for specific attributes (basically, each weapon is custom-made, but with a program that automates the process). The EL expansion adds EVERY SINGLE weapon possible, rather than adding the generator specifically.

You could apply these same prefixes and formulas to drones, in theory. But there's so many drones (including Drones Expanded), and it's a tad bit harder to put some of the prefixes on them: for example, making a very fast drone that fires every .5 seconds fire EVEN FASTER is just asking for imbalance issues, and you can't put "chance to start fires" on a drone that only attacks other drones.

See? I'm not useless yet, you can put away your shotgun for now...prepares my own shotgun
zabing12

Postby zabing12 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 am

Made a drone. Don't know if it works though. Need to figure out a way to attach it to my next ship.