[MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sectors!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
CaptainShooby

[MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sectors!

Postby CaptainShooby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Heya modders!

I just finished my very first modding tutorial ever. It tries to cover the following:
  • Preparation for modding
  • Creating custom events
  • Creating custom sectors
Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=18DgjbF054eNRNNRwg_cuDT2DatdRpnW16mzX32GB-Dw

Please note that I tried to make my first tutorial very throughout.
If you're a programmer or an experienced modder, you might find the tutorial a bit long.

I appreciate all feedback!

Edit:
Removed the PDF file download as keeping it updated would've been a pain.
Last edited by CaptainShooby on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaptainShooby

Re: [MODDING] I made a tutorial: create custom events & sect

Postby CaptainShooby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Reserved for updates or such..
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Am I allowed to use a small bit of this tutorial so they can learn how to make an event drop their custom gun, or should I just link them to the google doc?

I think you can do:

Code: Select all

<event name="NAMEHERE">
<text>You found your weapon!</text>
<weapon name="RANDOM"/>
</event>

At

<weapon name="RANDOM"/>
you can put this instead of RANDOM:

name="ARTILLERY_BOSS_1">
name="ARTILLERY_BOSS_2">
name="ARTILLERY_BOSS_3">
name="ARTILLERY_BOSS_4">
name="ARTILLERY_FED">
name="LASER_BURST_1">
name="LASER_BURST_2">
name="LASER_BURST_2_A">
name="LASER_BURST_3">
name="LASER_BURST_5">
name="LASER_HEAVY_1">
name="LASER_HEAVY_2">
name="LASER_HEAVY_1_SP">
name="CRYSTAL_1">
name="MISSILES_1">
name="MISSILES_2_PLAYER">
name="MISSILES_2">
name="MISSILES_3">
name="MISSILES_BURST">
name="MISSILES_BREACH">
name="BEAM_1">
name="BEAM_LONG">
name="BEAM_2">
name="BEAM_3">
name="BEAM_FIRE">
name="BEAM_BIO">
name="LASER_HULL_1">
name="LASER_HULL_2">
name="BEAM_HULL">
name="MISSILES_HULL">
name="ION_1">
name="ION_2">
name="ION_4">
name="BOMB_1">
name="BOMB_BREACH_1">
name="BOMB_BREACH_2">
name="BOMB_FIRE">
name="BOMB_ION">
name="BOMB_HEAL">
name="BOMB_LOCK">
name="CRYSTAL_BURST_1">
name="CRYSTAL_BURST_2">
name="CRYSTAL_HEAVY_1">
name="CRYSTAL_HEAVY_2">

Or if you made your own weapon, you can put that in there. (Say, you called your weapon BURST_LASER, put that in there)
CaptainShooby

Postby CaptainShooby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm

AtillaBosma wrote:Am I allowed to use a small bit of this tutorial so they can learn how to make an event drop their custom gun, or should I just link them to the google doc?

Sure, use whatever you wish! It's always better if these basics reach more people.
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm

CaptainShooby wrote:
AtillaBosma wrote:Am I allowed to use a small bit of this tutorial so they can learn how to make an event drop their custom gun, or should I just link them to the google doc?

Sure, use whatever you wish! It's always better if these basics reach more people.

Hmm, I think it's better if you add the weapon drops part in the tutorial, it would make it easier for people to link to this tutorial instead of having to copy it from someone else and put it in theirs.
nukularpower

Postby nukularpower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Man, I really hope the devs add a way to add events and stuff without having to remove the ones that already exist.
CaptainShooby

Postby CaptainShooby » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:06 pm

AtillaBosma wrote:Hmm, I think it's better if you add the weapon drops part in the tutorial, it would make it easier for people to link to this tutorial instead of having to copy it from someone else and put it in theirs.

Ok, I guess I could add it as an extra tip of sorts. I intend to keep this tut focused on the theme of events and sectors, so I won't go into details about weapons. One weapon element won't be a problem though!

nukularpower wrote:Man, I really hope the devs add a way to add events and stuff without having to remove the ones that already exist.

There is no need to remove any of the existing events! I only disable them in the tutorial to make certain the custom one is encountered without having to go through a dozen random events.

Edit: Added the weapon drop part. It actually fits perfectly!
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm

CaptainShooby wrote:
AtillaBosma wrote:Hmm, I think it's better if you add the weapon drops part in the tutorial, it would make it easier for people to link to this tutorial instead of having to copy it from someone else and put it in theirs.

Ok, I guess I could add it as an extra tip of sorts. I intend to keep this tut focused on the theme of events and sectors, so I won't go into details about weapons. One weapon element won't be a problem though!

nukularpower wrote:Man, I really hope the devs add a way to add events and stuff without having to remove the ones that already exist.

There is no need to remove any of the existing events! I only disable them in the tutorial to make certain the custom one is encountered without having to go through a dozen random events.

Edit: Added the weapon drop part. It actually fits perfectly!

I'm happy it merges well with the current tutorial, this will probably help people a lot with making their own sectors with their own races and weapons ^^
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Event question:

You mention that the start_event of the new game sector isn't called, because it fires a different event - do you know which event that is, or if there's a way to override it?

One of the things I enjoy in games where there's a level of customization is playing RNG Roulette, and then basing my build-out from that. So I'd like to be able to create a new player Ship which has access to all systems, but which comes with none preinstalled (up to and including weapons), and you get a random selection of equipment from the following list:
  • Weapons system and a high level weapon, plus scrap enough to power it
  • Weapons system, a medium level weapon, and a low level weapon, plus scrap enough to power them
  • Weapons system and 3 low level weapons, plus scrap enough to power them
  • Weapons system and 2 low level weapons, plus scrap enough to power them
  • Teleporter, and enough scrap to power it
  • Teleporter, and enough scrap to upgrade it to L2 and power it
  • Teleporter
  • Shields, and enough scrap to power them
  • Shields, and enough scrap to upgrade them to L2 and power them
  • Shields
  • Cloaking, and enough scrap to power it
  • Cloaking, and enough scrap to upgrade them to L2 and power it
  • Cloaking
  • Drone Control, a random low level drone, and enough scrap to use it
  • Drone Control
  • Artillery
Each of these could be chained and would obviously need to be balanced in some manner to ensure you don't get all of the best of each from the start, but it would be a fun way to not know how you're going to start just by choosing a specific ship.

I don't, however, think there's currently any way of ensuring that you only get this event based upon using my specific custom-made ship, unless you gave it a crew of one of the "ghost" types (whatever that is, doesn't appear to be implemented yet) and set the "get random stuff" to only trigger upon that specific crew type.

Another question, which I've not been able to discern:

Is it possible to have an event require you to not have something? Such as having a "pacifist" option which is only available if you *don't* have any weapons, or an "anti-mantis" event that doesn't let you help if you have a Mantis on the crew?
antisyzygy

Postby antisyzygy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm glad you posted this, thanks! I can read code pretty well but it's nice to have a starting point.

I think I am going to try to make a slower pace mod, with not so urgent of an objective. The game play is already great in the standard setup but it would be nice to have an option to sit back and relax through a slower pace custom story.

I am aware of the "disable rebel fleet" mod.