[Tool] Superluminal 2.2.1 - FTL Ship Editor

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NewAgeOfPower

Re: [Tool] Superluminal 2.0.6b beta

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Abs wrote:
NarnKar wrote:Wait, what would a zoom feature be good for anyway?

My biggest thing would be pixel perfect placement of gibs/weapons. It's easy enough to do the gibs, but the weapons are a bit harder.

Thanks for the answer, kartoFlane!

Abs

I have to squint a bit and move my face closer to the screen to do animated artillery correctly, but its doable without zoom.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
Abs

Postby Abs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Yep. I didn't say it's impossible, I just said it's a bit harder (squint and move face closer is harder than zooming in an app). Seems like you agree.

Like I said it would be nice, and I hope that one day it can be worked in.

Abs
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 pm

I fiddled with the zoom feature a little today -- while scaling the main viewport would require rewriting large amounts of code to include the scale factor in positioning & sizing of pretty much every single item (something I'm not up for), it is relatively straightforward to copy the data drawn on the screen, and draw it on another, at an increased scale.

What I ended up with is a separate window, whose viewport can be moved around, resized and scaled. Kinda like the magnifying glass that NAOP suggested, which I misunderstood at first.

http://i.imgur.com/ZfWRFIZ.png - currently capped between 100% and 600%.
Last edited by kartoFlane on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Abs

Postby Abs » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:43 pm

...and this is why YOU'RE AMAZING!!!

I can't wait until the next version of Superluminal! :)

Abs
Click to go to the mod's facebook page for the latest updates!
liverpudlian99

Re: HELP! HELP! HELP!

Postby liverpudlian99 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:36 am

wolfboyft wrote:My game crashes on New Game with my ship!

I have been making a stupidly OP-ship as a test. It has no floor image, and it has no longer got 1 artillery (I removed it because I read somewhere that that might be the cause. Nope.) The fifth mount made for the hull smasher laser mark II artillery - I deleted that too. I thought I may have had some CE drones and weapons - removed 'em.

Nope.

Not even having four crew instead of eight!

"Nah" said the game. Crash.

My old mantis ship with even bigger rooms (corridors) worked. It didn't even have HULL on my first test!

It did have hacking at the start, but that's not the problem, I'm sure.

What is the problem? I've definetely been using Superliminal 2...

Similar to your problem, I am recreating a ship I made in Space Engineers but I am very new to modding this game. When I finally finished (I'm pretty sure I have everything) I have the exact problem with the crashing. Although, I tried remaking it as suggested, but that one has the same issue. Here are my stats:

Cloaking (not on start), shields, teleporter (not on start), doors, weapons, engines, empty, medbay, oxygen, sensors, pilot, and some empty rooms. I have 3 weapon slots, 17 doors, 3 mounts, and 0 gibs. No custom cloaking image, a shield image, a thumbnail, a floor image, and a hull.

Help!
Puddles
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:36 am

I've never found the cause for this particular problem, so sadly I can't help you out here. My guess so far is that it's somehow related to one of the elements missing from the ship (cloaking image, gibs, etc), because complete ships tend to work without any issues...
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 pm

SL2 automagically assigns a room image to newly assigned systems. I often wish that this was not the case, for most of the time the shape of the room doesn't match the auto-selected image.

I wish there was a setting that would prevent SL2 from selecting room images automatically. :P
It just kind of bothers me because, personally, i find it easier to create/choose a room image for an empty room. :?

What i'm basically suggesting is a new minor feature: "able/disable automatic room image selection on room assignment"
It's not vital, it would just speed up my workflow with SL2, since the room images the program chooses are often not what i am gonna use in the end. :lol:

In any case-- i think that people like you, willing to put time and effort for free just to give the chance to users to create new content, are to be thanked a lot. And so: thank you so much yet again for developing this awesome tool. It's just the kind of thing that makes the life of the game way longer. ;P

PS: i know "SL2" is an incorrect way to shorten "superluminal 2" but it's good enough for this post, lol

EDIT: PPS: Oh, also... what happened to the .shp format? I mean, i haven't found the option to save in .shp : \
I've always considered that format very handy! Idk if you're working on re-implementing it already or not, but i hope you are! haha
(or maybe i'm just stupid and couldn't find it, which would be kind of preoccupying)
ImageImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Taxi :) I can't begin to estimate how many hours I've spent on this 'little' project, but it easily goes in the hundreds... On the other hand, I've learned a lot while developing this program, so I've got that going for me, which is nice :lol:

Regarding the room image assignment; it's not like the program just arbitrarily slaps an image onto the room -- the image it assigns is the default image for that system, it would show up in the game if you were to not give a system tag the img attribute. It seems like the logical thing to do -- I guess I could add a setting to assign an empty image to the system instead. Would that suffice?

As to the .shp format, as I've explained several pages back, I've decided to scrap it -- there were several problems with it, most notably that it only stored paths to images, and not the images themselves, so if you moved/renamed the image it referenced, the editor would be unable to restore the image automatically. Another issue is that it was generally bad and broke easily, and that re-implementing it in the new editor would be more trouble than it would be worth *shrug*

In other news, I'm wrapping up the new version of the editor, should be released in several days, provided that I don't get swamped with college stuff, and that everythng works as intended.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:00 pm

>I've learned a lot while developing this program, so I've got that going for me, which is nice :lol:
iktf ◡‿◡

>it would show up in the game if you were to not give a system tag the img attribute.
Oh. I had no idea XD it indeed seems like the logical thing to do, then! I thought it was a deliberate choice. :oops:

I guess I could add a setting to assign an empty image to the system instead. Would that suffice?
Like, don't worry. If adding such an option would not take too much time/effort, then go ahead!
But i realised that I can easily change adapt my workflow around this thing anyway! So it's actually okay as it is for me.

>As to the .shp format, as I've explained several pages back, I've decided to scrap it
>re-implementing it in the new editor would be more trouble than it would be worth *shrug*

Eh, sorry for not taking the time to look through the pages; i'm kinda short on it too..! (◠‿◠ ' )
But yeah, i understand. It's alright! ◡‿◡

Lookin' forward to yer next version! ; ) good luck with college, and may free time be with you! lol
ImageImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] Superluminal 2.1.0

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:17 pm

New version is out! There's a whole lot of new stuff, most notably the zoom window, floor image generation, and glow image positioning.
With that update, I'm finally done with the program -- I've implemented everything I had planned :P It's likely I'll have to fix something pertaining to one of the new features, but it's unlikely I'll be adding anything new.

Download: [ Superluminal 2.1.0 ]

Also, to celebrate the first non-beta release, the editor has received a new ugly icon :lol:

Trivia: overall it took over 10 months, 451 commits, and almost 30k lines of code (40k w/ blank lines and comments) to get here.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

2.1.0:
- Added zoom feature (in the form of a separate window, found under View > Open Zoom Window)
- Added cursor position tracker at the top-right of the main window + config setting to show the pointer location relative to the ship's origin
- Added automated floor image generation (Edit > Generate Floor Image...)
- Added ability to change the name that interior images get exported as (important for glows)
- Added ability to select images directly from FTL's archives -- all 'Browse' buttons now open a dropdown menu instead, allowing you to choose what you want to browse ('System' is default file selection, 'Database' is the FTL archives)
- Added a bunch of undoable operations:
  * image undo (can undo hull/floor/cloak/shield/thumbnail modification)
  * interior image modification
  * door orientation modification
  * system availability toggle
  * active system selection undo
  * mount rotation/mirror/direction modification
- Changed station images to rectangles taking half of a grid cell, made them fainter
- Added manning glows' placement modification (blue station appearing where the old purple ones used to be, can be clicked and moved around to adjust the glow images' locations)
- Added a modifiable hotkey setting that is shared for all search dialogs
- Weapon mounts now display artillery image only when the artillery systems is assigned
- Gib animation now won't start if the ship has no gibs
- Fixed some cursor visibility issues with Room Tool
- Fixed some systems for player ships allowing to set their level to 9 or 10.
- Fixed a bug with hotkeys, which caused hotkeys that used the Ctrl modifier to also require Alt modifier to be triggered.