[Modding] Multiplayer

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
shark

Re: [Modding] Multiplayer

Postby shark » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:05 pm

True. nothing else is left to be said i guess.

P.S. I'm fine with gdb :) you got an acc on stackexchange?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
ankhwatcher

Postby ankhwatcher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:45 pm

How about a simpler approach to Multiplayer:

• The player who gets the furthest, or completes in the least number of FTL jumps wins.
legoracer171

Postby legoracer171 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 am

ankhwatcher wrote:How about a simpler approach to Multiplayer:

• The player who gets the furthest, or completes in the least number of FTL jumps wins.

I think this is the best way to do it. Also something to add would be PvP battles if two people are on the same beacon.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:02 pm

An idea I always had is that one person controls the player ship, and the other takes every AI ship that the player battles.
KuroSaru

Postby KuroSaru » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Thoughts on Multiplayer...

Random Ships are replaced by players assuming there is enough online.

2 Modes:
1 : Play as normal and random ships replaced by players.
2 : Play as rebel (unlimited fuel), attack players from mode 1.

granted mode 2, you would not be able to upgrade your ship it would auto-upgrade,
and you'd have to beat X players per sector before you moved to the next one,
last level you play as the boss. unlike in mode 1, each spot you warp you will always enter combat.
either vs another player or vs a AI.

Although to implement this would require a new client to be made.
[Tool] FTL-Dat ~ Win/OSX/Nix Supported.
Current WIP: FTL Engine - JAVA Implementation | FTL-Dat
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 am

Perhaps with Overdrive?
Anthony079

Postby Anthony079 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 am

mp would be the best thing ever! :D
Tigerlife

Postby Tigerlife » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

massivebacon wrote:Hello!

My friend and I, both now zealous FTL players, were tossing around ideas for what we think could make the game better and the idea of multiplayer came up. I see there has been some discussion in that regard on the forums but nothing substantial has come out of it. I'm pretty good at coding but have never actually dealt with programming outside of something that runs locally, so if anyone could point me in the right direction for where I could figure out how to implement this I would be super grateful.

As far as what kind of multi, I think right now simple crew control would be the first step (maybe implement WASD), and if it works it could become more robust.

Thanks for the help!

i cant implement this, or help implement this, but i can give you notes of mine, ive been thinking of multiplayer ftl for a while so i made notes.

Freeroam
No Rebels
Go Any Direction in starmap
Starmap isnt like normal starmap, its a giant block basically
New Mode 1v1v1/2v1
Allows 15 Players

Normal
Just allows more players
New mode 1v1v1/2v1
Allows 5 players
May only Join if nobody has left first sector, unless youve already been on
Max players at one beacon is 2

i hope this helps
Hyperbolic

Postby Hyperbolic » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:34 pm

I thought of a great idea for how multiplayer could be implemented in a deathmatch style earlier. You could have multiple starting beacons, with 2-4 players starting in each. It would be in real-time (no instant cooldown on stuff when not in battle/jumping) which would mean no use of pause, serving more challenge and tension. Enemies could be slightly weaker to compensate for the lack of pause. There would still be the rebel fleet, but instead of moving further per jump, it would slowly occupy spaces in real-time, invading the player spot if they occupy an area the rebel moves to. The Last Stand would no longer contain the rebel flagship and instead be a final battleground for players to fight it out, and the rebel fleet would not advance here. There could be a limited amount of enemies/events in the area to reward players who get to the end faster, allowing them to potentially be better prepared. Players wouldn't be visible to each other until The Last Stand, so any encounters before then would be chance. A ship with a long range scanner would just show players as the standard ship warning. NPC's could move around sectors in real-time as well, making everything feel more active. For PVP battles, players could have the option to surrender, giving the other player a choice of letting them live and getting a percentage of their supplies, or continuing with the fight. If a player accepted a surrender, the two players wouldn't be able to attack each other until the next sector. This option wouldn't be available in The Last Stand. A spot occupied by either two players or a player and an NPC simultaneously would be inaccessible to other NPC's/players until one of the two left the spot.

I think this would be fucking awesome if it ever happened. Too bad it'd be near enough impossible to make this happen any time soon.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 pm

Livestream your game and use teamspeak to shout at the guy controlling the people to tell him what to do. Multiplayer! :lol:
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage