Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ser_aerochorro

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager (v1.3)

Postby ser_aerochorro » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Grognak wrote:Indeed, Tkinter is the plan.

And great work on your patch. Feel free to send in a pull request when you're ready. :)

@Light n Fast: Does that happen as soon as you open the file? Did you make sure to extract the archive that modman.exe is in first?

Oh... Atm I use EasyGUI for the "Open file" and the "Are you using Steam?" things, that will have to be reprogrammed too if you switch to Tkinter, but no problem. It will probably work better anyway.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

xXSoulSlayerXx wrote:For the people who are having trouble with the MAC version of this software about being unable to find the flt.exe of of the game:

1.Navigate to your app, then right click and show package contents. [img]http://imgur.com/Hk2Hl[/img
2.Go into your app's content folder and drag "Resources" into the the folder "MacOS". Leave the window be as we will need it later...
3.Download Grognaks Mod Manager if you haven't already(BOTH THE WINDOWS AND THE GITHUB VERSION) Image and open up the zips.
4.Open up "Grognak-Grognaks-Mod-Manager-44278a4" and drag __init__.py and main.py into "Grognaks Mod Manager", hence you will end up with these files in the folder "Grognaks Mod Manager". Image
5.Unzip easygui_version0.96.tar and open up Terminal, type "cd", hit the spacebar once and drag the "easygui_version0.96" folder from inside Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3 into the terminal window. Then copy and paste this code into your Terminal and press "Enter".

Code: Select all

python setup.py install

6.Drag the newly made files "easygui.py" and "build" into "src". Highlight the files in "src" and drag them into "Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3", replacing everything. You will end up with these things in "Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3" now.
7.Pull up the window that has the contents of ftl.app displayed in it. Drag in all of the things from "Grognaks Mod Manager v1.3" into the MacOS folder(this is where ftp.exe is placed). Place the mods you want into the "mods" folder, Open up terminal, type "cd" hit the spacebar and drag "MacOS" into terminal. Copy and paste this code and hit "Enter".

Code: Select all

python main.py install

8.Click on the mods you want to install, click "ok". Wait for terminal to blair out some things like confirming the mods are installed before doing the next step!
9.Drag the folder "Resources" back out into "Contents" and finally, open up ftl.app!

Oh yeah... The imgs are little question marks, but just right click em and open em in a new tab to view them! Yes, i know this is a bit long... But... it works! :D

Ok...after sweat, blood, and tears, I've finally done it. I have just ONE last question, and I should be gone forever.
I cannot find my FTL.exe file. I followed every detail up to #7, but when I activated the terminal's commands, it said: ERROR. FTL.EXE FILE MUST BE PLACED IN THIS AREA FIRST.
Where is the FTL.EXE file, or what would it be named as (P.S. Im using Steam)
ser_aerochorro

Postby ser_aerochorro » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:Ok...after sweat, blood, and tears, I've finally done it. I have just ONE last question, and I should be gone forever.
I cannot find my FTL.exe file. I followed every detail up to #7, but when I activated the terminal's commands, it said: ERROR. FTL.EXE FILE MUST BE PLACED IN THIS AREA FIRST.

Here's the twist: there's no FTLGame.exe on Mac. No matter how hard you look, it just isn't there. In my version of the main.py I told the program to skip that part of the code if it was running on Mac. However, there's a solution: just make a normal text file(or anything), name it "FTLGame.exe" and put it with the mod manager. It will buy it. (The manager doesn't actually use that for anything, it's there to check that you put it in the right place, and you already did that).

Note that I will have a Mac executable, that runs anywhere, done soon. Soon like tomorrow.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 pm

ser_aerochorro wrote:Here's the twist: there's no FTLGame.exe on Mac. No matter how hard you look, it just isn't there. In my version of the main.py I told the program to skip that part of the code if it was running on Mac. However, there's a solution: just make a normal text file(or anything), name it "FTLGame.exe" and put it with the mod manager. It will buy it. (The manager doesn't actually use that for anything, it's there to check that you put it in the right place, and you already did that).

Note that I will have a Mac executable, that runs anywhere, done soon. Soon like tomorrow.

I got a random text file, put it in MACOS folder, and terminal said this:
Last login: Tue Oct 9 17:41:28 on ttys000
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:~ Denise$ cd /Users/Denise/Desktop/Jacob\'s\ Games/FTL\ Faster\ Than\ Light.app/Contents/MacOS
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Denise$ python main.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 79, in <module>
allowzip = cfg.getboolean("settings", "allowzip")
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 368, in getboolean
v = self.get(section, option)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 607, in get
raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'settings'
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Denise$
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm

ser_aerochorro wrote:
Torchwood202 wrote:Ok...after sweat, blood, and tears, I've finally done it. I have just ONE last question, and I should be gone forever.

Here's the twist: there's no FTLGame.exe on Mac. No matter how hard you look, it just isn't there. In my version of the main.py I told the program to skip that part of the code if it was running on Mac. However, there's a solution: just make a normal text file(or anything), name it "FTLGame.exe" and put it with the mod manager. It will buy it. (The manager doesn't actually use that for anything, it's there to check that you put it in the right place, and you already did that).

Despite the confusing error message, GMM should still correctly detect if it's in the right place on a mac. If not, that's a bug. :lol:
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 pm

I'd like to make a feature request:

Ability to name files [filename].append.xml as well as/instead of [filename].xml.append

Two reasons:

1) Syntax highlighting (.xml tells files it's an xml file, .append tells it nothing, requiring manual setting of language)
2) The alternate mod manager with merging support that I may or may not be releasing in the relatively near future will be using that standard, as well (looking for [filename].merge.xml)

(I'd submit a pull request to yours, but the library I'm using for the XML merging is Ruby-only; by all means, feel free to use the format I came up with and/or recommend changes to the standard - keeping one standard will be better for all involved, and I'm certainly not greedy)
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 am

Certainly a good idea. :) Go ahead and submit an issue at Github (it makes it easy to keep track of.)
xXSoulSlayerXx

Postby xXSoulSlayerXx » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 am

Torchwood202 wrote:
ser_aerochorro wrote:Here's the twist: there's no FTLGame.exe on Mac. No matter how hard you look, it just isn't there. In my version of the main.py I told the program to skip that part of the code if it was running on Mac. However, there's a solution: just make a normal text file(or anything), name it "FTLGame.exe" and put it with the mod manager. It will buy it. (The manager doesn't actually use that for anything, it's there to check that you put it in the right place, and you already did that).

I got a random text file, put it in MACOS folder, and terminal said this:
Last login: Tue Oct 9 17:41:28 on ttys000
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:~ Denise$ cd /Users/Denise/Desktop/Jacob\'s\ Games/FTL\ Faster\ Than\ Light.app/Contents/MacOS
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Denise$ python main.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 79, in <module>
allowzip = cfg.getboolean("settings", "allowzip")
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 368, in getboolean
v = self.get(section, option)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ConfigParser.py", line 607, in get
raise NoSectionError(section)
ConfigParser.NoSectionError: No section: 'settings'
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:MacOS Denise$

Oh, the ftl.exe is located inside the application itself. it is ~/applications/ftl/contents/MacOS It does not have a .exe behind it, but as Grognak said, it will auto detect is as being modable. Just remember to move the resources folder into the MacOS folder for it to install the mods correctly. You need a video tut for the installation? I will be more than willing to help you out with that! ;)
PS: You don't have to be gone forever... I like helping people! :lol:
Ahhhhhh!!! Not the ion cannons!!!
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Grognak wrote:Certainly a good idea. :) Go ahead and submit an issue at Github (it makes it easy to keep track of.)

Done!

If you wouldn't mind, I'm about to post a new topic with the specifications of how I've implemented a "*.merge.xml" format (via additional tag attributes to be added by mod authors), and I'd be interested in any comments/suggestions from you on that so as to best/most easily implement and standardize mod formats. Once it's nailed down (I have working code currently, but want input from others and mod authors to make sure it's not overly complicated while still being useful enough to do most of what most people would want), I'll post the merge spec to your github as well, for you to track and try to implement if you so choose.
cogitator

Postby cogitator » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Edit: Changed encoding to UTF-8, problem solved.

Edit 2: Now, I get a c++ error, then nothing. Fresh install, tried ANSI and UTF-8 encoding on the .append file.

Hey there,
I wanted to do a test run of my mod-in-progress last night but I am getting a strange error.

Help? I have the new events renamed as events.xml.append, and in the correct folder inside a zip file. The zip is renamed to use the .ftl extension.
Last edited by cogitator on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First playable release of Extra Scoop is out! Download Link!