Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
theguruofreason

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager (v1.3)

Postby theguruofreason » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Not sure what's going on here...

I modified the unpacked data files directly, repacked them manually, my mod works fine. I copy/paste the changes into a new file and call it a .xml.append file and pack those all into a .zip, change the name to .ftl, and try to load it with GMM and the game crashes on startup with the runtime error. Is there something special I need to know about .append files?
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 pm

tdoe wrote:So are you saying that they ARE compatable because they use the .ftl format? Because when I downloaded them, they came in .zip form.

It could be something about your browser, I guess? Try renaming them to .ftl and seeing if it works.

theguruofreason wrote:Not sure what's going on here...

I modified the unpacked data files directly, repacked them manually, my mod works fine. I copy/paste the changes into a new file and call it a .xml.append file and pack those all into a .zip, change the name to .ftl, and try to load it with GMM and the game crashes on startup with the runtime error. Is there something special I need to know about .append files?

You are likely saving your files as UTF-8 instead of ANSI.
Dnarok

Postby Dnarok » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm probably skipping something, or doing something wrong, but here is the steps to what I'm doing:
I download 1.3, and extract the files within 'Grognaks Mod Manager 1.3' (not that file itself) into the file with FTLGame.exe. I then try to use 'modman.exe', but all I'm getting is a black command box, nothing like what the picture in the original post says. I can't type anything, and I've tried re-installing, downloading older versions to see if it's any different, but nothing seems to be working.
Am I an idiot? A video would help quite a lot, if someone can provide one...
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 pm

You're not an idiot! :D That problem seems quite puzzling. Could you give me the version of Windows you are using?
Dnarok

Postby Dnarok » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:09 am

Sorry I disappeared for a bit, anyway, Windows 7, using Steam... would using WinRAR matter in any way?
theguruofreason

Postby theguruofreason » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:19 am

Grognak, help me understand this, please. If I want to alter an event that is in vanilla, I can simply copy/paste and modify the XML in the event.xml into an event.xml.append file, correct? And if I do this, will the mod manager replace the XML in the event.xml with the modified XML that I wrote, or will it append the modified XML to the document and leave the original intact as well?
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 am

theguruofreason wrote:Grognak, help me understand this, please. If I want to alter an event that is in vanilla, I can simply copy/paste and modify the XML in the event.xml into an event.xml.append file, correct? And if I do this, will the mod manager replace the XML in the event.xml with the modified XML that I wrote, or will it append the modified XML to the document and leave the original intact as well?

Not Grognak, but (AFAIK) (1) You can just copy and paste an event and then modify it, (2) the mod manager will append your .append XML to the end of the XML file; because the same event is defined twice, the game uses the one that is loaded last (i.e. the one you appended).

This can make some difference as the game seems to load the event*.xml files sequentially. If you define an event named "SHIPZORS" in event.xml and then have the same event in eventslug.xml, the slug version, because it is loaded after event.xml, takes precedence.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:56 am

Torchwood202....again. I understand that I must move the 3 items into 1 folder, but before I do that I must use the terminal and enter "python setup.py install". I shortly got this from terminal...

Last login: Mon Oct 1 20:49:28 on ttys000
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:~ Denise$ python setup.py install
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Denise-Irizarrys-MacBook-Pro:~ Denise$

:| I sure your a genius that can help me though :geek: :3
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 am

Dnarok wrote:Sorry I disappeared for a bit, anyway, Windows 7, using Steam... would using WinRAR matter in any way?

I'm honestly really stumped. Try following the instructions in the /src/ directory and run the application directly from it's .py files.

Torchwood202 wrote:Torchwood202....again. I understand that I must move the 3 items into 1 folder, but before I do that I must use the terminal and enter "python setup.py install". I shortly got this from terminal...

You must navigate to the folder in which you unpacked the tarball before running that command. If you're not sure how to do that, try looking for tutorials on Google/Youtube.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Torchwood202 :( Cant find anything to help me... cant unzip the files.... verge of giving up.... I did try to unzip them, by using the terminal and some commands to unzip files (from google). Not sure EXACTLY what command to use though... I very much appreciate your kindness to help me and I figure that I'm becoming a nuisance, but I REALLY APPRECIATE IT even If I don't have it figured out yet :D I have faith in you helping me :mrgreen:

P.S. Some README files said to rename some files to .zip or .exe should I do this?