Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Vhati

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager v1.6 (Updated Feb 23, 2013!)

Postby Vhati » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm

The Dwarf Therapist wrote:It's definitely on my side but I can't find any way to fix it!
*wince*

:? Well 1.6.1 is pending.
Hopefully you'll have better luck with that one, if your issue with this link doesn't get resolved by then.
AmazingAl

Postby AmazingAl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Ok, I'll admit, I'm a complete noob at all of this. I'm on a Mac running Lion. I've just opened the GMM file directly from download, and also downloaded python, but not sure what it does. I can't run any of the .ini files and am seriously confused, the readme says open it, but open what!?
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

AmazingAl wrote:I can't run any of the .ini files and am seriously confused, the readme says open it, but open what!?
There's only one ini file. And the word "open" appears nowhere in the Mod Manager 1.6.0 readme.
And the readme doesn't give any instructions regarding the ini. It's just a text file that contains some settings.

AmazingAl wrote:I've just opened the GMM file directly from download, and also downloaded python, but not sure what it does.

Python is a collection of tools and pre-written code that makes it significantly easier to write programs. Developers write a text file (named something.py) with instructions in a language called Python, and a command named python interprets those instructions to do otherwise tedious/complicated things like manipulate a video game's files to add new ships.

The readme says "run main.py via python".

Or open a terminal. Type "python " with the space. Drag main.py onto the terminal to quickly type its location. And hit enter.
fudz

Postby fudz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Vhati wrote:
AmazingAl wrote:I can't run any of the .ini files and am seriously confused, the readme says open it, but open what!?
There's only one ini file. And the word "open" appears nowhere in the Mod Manager 1.6.0 readme.
And the readme doesn't give any instructions regarding the ini. It's just a text file that contains some settings.

AmazingAl wrote:I've just opened the GMM file directly from download, and also downloaded python, but not sure what it does.

Python is a collection of tools and pre-written code that makes it significantly easier to write programs. Developers write a text file (named something.py) with instructions in a language called Python, and a command named python interprets those instructions to do otherwise tedious/complicated things like manipulate a video game's files to add new ships.

The readme says "run main.py via python".

Or open a terminal. Type "python " with the space. Drag main.py onto the terminal to quickly type its location. And hit enter.

It dosnt work for me mate—I get the following "ImportError: No module named argparse":

Code: Select all

python /Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager\ -\ dist/main.py
ERROR: No module named argparse
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager - dist/main.py", line 56, in <module>
    from ftldat import FTLDatUnpacker as du
  File "/Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager - dist/ftldat.py", line 4, in <module>
    import argparse
ImportError: No module named argparse

python -V
Python 2.6.1

I'm looking into this (google is my friend) - if I fix, i'll let you know, if someone else has solution please tell... cheers

Step 1. Install latest version of Python: http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.3.0/
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:03 pm

fudz wrote:It dosnt work for me mate—I get the following "ImportError: No module named argparse"
That'll happen with an old version of Python.
The mod manager requires Python 2.7 not 3.x.
Once installed, running "python --version" should confirm it's there.

Also in the GMM readme:
* OSX may need to replace the stock Tcl/Tk from Apple.
http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
I don't know what circumstances necessitate that, however.
fudz

Postby fudz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

ok I just updated to 3.3.0 which wasnt that straight forward (see this tut to see how I solved it: http://wolfpaulus.com/journal/mac/installing_python_osx - which wasnt straight forward either, I had to run each line seperately, running in an .sh script wouldnt work even with sudo) and had this error:

python /Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager\ -\ dist/main.py
ERROR: No module named 'ConfigParser'
  File "/Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager - dist/main.py", line 40, in <module>
    from ConfigParser import SafeConfigParser
ImportError: No module named 'ConfigParser'

I did python -V and I have 3.3.0 installed.
fudz

Postby fudz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Vhati wrote:
Also in the GMM readme:
* OSX may need to replace the stock Tcl/Tk from Apple.
http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
I don't know what circumstances necessitate that, however.

i'm gonna look into this now - n see what thats all about, im thinking my 3.3.0 should trump 2.7.0 anyway, so I'll leave that for the time being
fudz

Postby fudz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:31 pm

ok so Im installing this [i'll edit this post with results]

http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 pm

fudz wrote:im thinking my 3.3.0 should trump 2.7.0 anyway, so I'll leave that for the time being
Your mileage may vary. The 3.x series changed the language in ways that may break some apps intended for 2.x.

Meanwhile, I just dumbed down the code in a couple places to make the upcoming
GMM 1.7 work with Python 2.6, which a lot of people have by default. :lol:
fudz

Postby fudz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 pm

ahhh yes mate, I was hacking main.py to account for the name changes, which was going ok until I go to this syntax error:

ERROR: invalid syntax (ftldat.py, line 52)
  File "/Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager - dist/main.py", line 57, in <module>
    from ftldat import FTLDatUnpacker as du
  File "/Volumes/2_TB_Storage_FW800/Games/FTL/_misc/tools/Grognaks-Mod-Manager - dist/ftldat.py", line 52
    raise FTLDatPacker, "Index is full"
                      ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

didnt realize youre the author—so lol I have 2.6 installed anyway, so I should revert back to that then?

name changes:

Tkinter → tkinter
tkMessageBox → tkinter.messagebox
tkColorChooser → tkinter.colorchooser
tkFileDialog → tkinter.filedialog
tkCommonDialog → tkinter.commondialog
tkSimpleDialog → tkinter.simpledialog
tkFont → tkinter.font
Tkdnd → tkinter.dnd
ScrolledText → tkinter.scrolledtext
Tix → tkinter.tix
ttk → tkinter.ttk

PS. I know nothing about python, but dont mind getting my hands dirty ;)