Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Whale Cancer

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager (v1.3)

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Grognak wrote:You are likely saving as UTF-8 when you should be saving as ANSI.

Yes! I freakin' love you!

I'm pretty sure all those XML editors I have been trying (all of which failed, for reasons cited upthread) changed the format of my .append files without informing me/me noticing.

Back to work.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Silly question, but what is the difference in encoding between the two formats that causes this issue? Seems like something that could be easily checked/fixed within Python, since it looks to be happening fairly often. (Especially since UTF-8 is a more widespread/modern encoding standard than ANSI.)
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:

Silly question, but what is the difference in encoding between the two formats that causes this issue? Seems like something that could be easily checked/fixed within Python, since it looks to be happening fairly often. (Especially since UTF-8 is a more widespread/modern encoding standard than ANSI.)

As far as I'm aware, it's an issue in every python program that doesn't use python 3.x.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Grognak wrote:As far as I'm aware, it's an issue in every python program that doesn't use python 3.x.

I've not tested or played with this whatsoever, but adding something like the contents of this page might be helpful:

http://www.evanjones.ca/python-utf8.html

Looks like the 'BOM' section indicates what you're talking about, with Python 2.x decoding UTF-8 byte-order marker as an actual character (and then sticking it back in to the new file), which then explodes FTL. Prolly can write a simple function that just takes a filename and reads/strips the BOM, closes the file, then returns a string of the contents.
Cswartz9

Postby Cswartz9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Has anyone managed to get this working on Mac? If so, some more detailed instructions than in the readme would help a ton. Thanks in advance.
SSk77

Postby SSk77 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Please, register and post your mod here:

http://ftlmods.forumeiro.com/
HeliosRX

Postby HeliosRX » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 am

Whenever I try to run this on my mac, it spits out an error saying that the files must be in the same folder as FTLgame.exe....

But I don't have that file on a mac, where should it be, or what should I do instead?
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 am

HeliosRX wrote:Whenever I try to run this on my mac, it spits out an error saying that the files must be in the same folder as FTLgame.exe....

But I don't have that file on a mac, where should it be, or what should I do instead?

Should be in the directory directly above the "MacOS" folder.
HeliosRX

Postby HeliosRX » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:06 am

Uh, it's not.

But I think I can get around that. Another problem is that my Python install keeps giving me "/usr/bin/env python
: No such file or directory" whenever I try to open up the main.py file. Any workaround for that?
swixel

Postby swixel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 am

HeliosRX wrote:Another problem is that my Python install keeps giving me "/usr/bin/env python
: No such file or directory" whenever I try to open up the main.py file. Any workaround for that?

Trying change the shebang line (first line, the #!/usr/bin/env python) to

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/python
-- methinks your env is messed up. If that fails, set it to 2.6 or something. You might want to look into why env is failing you.