Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Vhati

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Postby Vhati » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 am

UnlivingGnome wrote: File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\Grognaks Mod Manager v1.7 Win32\lib\ftldat.py", line 218, in _read_index
self.index = [0] * index_size
MemoryError
See the post about corruption (and the steps it links for dealing with it).

GMM interprets the first 4 bytes of a dat as a number to decide the size of its index (table of contents). Whatever you've got is being read as an inappropriately large number, and there's not enough memory to hold an index that big.
Last edited by Vhati on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 am

Kneecaps wrote:Am I supposed to do something else to get it to recognize Python?
Ignore modman.exe for now (it's broken), and run main.py directly.
- Windows XP: Double-click main.py.
- Windows Vista/7/8: may have to do this...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2464&start=780#p41452

Or you can tell modman.exe where to look by adding python to PATH.

*wince* and Python 2.7.4 is glitched, but this post lists what you can do about that.
daveking

Postby daveking » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am

kartoFlane wrote:*sigh* it's a config file, not error log. debug.log and crash.log are Superluminal's error log files, but this is completely unrelated and unimportant right now.

As for the missing ship, alterations you've made to it don't matter.
Now, why is it not showing up in the game - in the export window you have to select one of the already existing player ships, which one did you choose?
This is important because your ship replaces the one you've selected. If you're editing the Federation Cruiser and export it as Kestrel, your modded ship will be available in place of the Kestrel Cruiser.
So if you've selected a ship you don't have unlocked yet, you won't see any changes.

Ok cool, that makes sense, I'm editing the stealth ship, which i have unlocked both versions of. I've exported to replace the 1st model, (the nesario I think?) which didn't work, so I then deleted that .ftl file from the mod folder and tried again copying over the 2nd stealth ship, (the DSR-12?), still didn't work.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass newbie, but it's driving me nuts!! lol
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am

Huh. It works fine for me. I moved one of the rooms of the Stealth Cruiser, loaded the mod with GMM and the room change was applied.
Send me the .ftl file. It'll help me pinpoint the cause.

Also, a simple question... Have you tried loading any other mods out there, to see if they work? It is quite plausible that GMM isn't patching the .dat archives that FTL uses, which would result in what you're experiencing.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
UnlivingGnome

Postby UnlivingGnome » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 am

Vhati wrote:
UnlivingGnome wrote: File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\Grognaks Mod Manager v1.7 Win32\lib\ftldat.py", line 218, in _read_index
self.index = [0] * index_size
MemoryError
See the post about corruption (and the steps it links for dealing with it).

GMM interprets the first 4 bytes of a dat as a number to decide the size of its index (table of contents). Whatever you've got is being read as an inappropriately large number, and there's not enough memory to hold an index that big.

It worked! Thank you :D
Kneecaps

Postby Kneecaps » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:02 am

Vhati wrote:
Kneecaps wrote:Am I supposed to do something else to get it to recognize Python?
Ignore modman.exe for now (it's broken), and run main.py directly.
- Windows XP: Double-click main.py.
- Windows Vista/7/8: may have to do this...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2464&start=780#p41452

Or you can tell modman.exe where to look by adding python to PATH.

*wince* and Python 2.7.4 is glitched, but this post lists what you can do about that.

Just double-clicked on main.py (Im on Windows 7) and it worked without having to do anything else. Loving it so far. Not much to complain about except it sometimes 'blips' and switches to my desktop screen for a split second, although I'm not sure if that's any way related to the mod.
Sylvestris

Postby Sylvestris » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Hey, when I try to install mods I get an error message saying "Patching Failed" and the log reads "Struct. error: unpack requires a bytes object length of 8"

Any help?
radeklew

Postby radeklew » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Do I need to downgrade FTL to a specific version for it to work? Every time I hit 'New Game', it crashes.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 pm

@radeklew
This means that one of the mods is causing the crash. Try to load one mod at a time to figure out which one is causing it.
Also, try not to load too many mods at once - some mods are not compatible with others, and may produce crashes when loaded together.

@Sylvesrtis
I imagine Vhati would roll his eyes and say "here it is again", were he here :P
Look here
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
daveking

Postby daveking » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 am

kartoFlane wrote:Huh. It works fine for me. I moved one of the rooms of the Stealth Cruiser, loaded the mod with GMM and the room change was applied.
Send me the .ftl file. It'll help me pinpoint the cause.

Also, a simple question... Have you tried loading any other mods out there, to see if they work? It is quite plausible that GMM isn't patching the .dat archives that FTL uses, which would result in what you're experiencing.

Ok, good idea, I've just tried a mod called Custom Ships v0.6b, which didn't work in the game, but it brought to my attention that the scrap advantage that comes with GMM also doesn't work, I started a game and still had only 30 scrap. So, I'm thinking that as I replaced the data.dat file with the one that stops the rebel fleet persuit, perhaps that has stopped GMM working? Perhaps I should reinstall FTL from scratch?

And yeah I'm happy to send you the .ftl file, where should I send it dude?

Cheers,