Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
the_grue

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager v1.4 (Updated Oct 16 2012!)

Postby the_grue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 pm

GroxGlitch wrote:Interestingly, it's spitting out a Python error. I'll give you a quick list of "HAVE YOU DONE THIS YET?"s.
-Are you running it as an administrator?
-Do you have Python installed? If so, what version?
-Do you have ftldat? This program needs it, as I recall.
If any combination of these do not help, try re-downloading the program or downloading an older version, as your download may have become corrupted somewhere down the line either during the download or during the extraction. Considering it's spitting out a Python error, my money would be on a glitched bit of code somewhere, but I'm no coder so don't quote me on that one. If that still doesn't help, Grognak would have to help you as I don't know any further than that.

Well, this clears up the air a bit.
I am indeed the administrator of this computer.
I do indeed have Python, and according to control panel, its 3.2.2
I never got ftldat, because what I read of Grognak's didn't say that it was a necessary addition.
let me go check and get back to you right after these messages.

*obnoxious and irritating commercials here*

so, here's what I did;
firstly, I reaffirmed my administrator status, which has remained apparently unchanged in the history of forever.
next, I replaced my 3.2.2 Python with the latest version, 3.3.0. First I spent about 3 minutes scratching my head before disregarding that the site advises to use Python 2.7 series if you don't know which version to use.
lastly, I went to install ftldat, but I recieved a vicious warning from my computer about insufficient permissions and admiral ackbar.
I decided to heed the warning and went to try the mod manager again, with due caution.
(more after the break)

-- the break --

after trying to run it, I found the problem unchanged. So I embarked on the dangerous quest to circumvent my security program and get ftldat.
and then I saw why my security program was freaking out-
Threat type: Backdoor.Win32.Swrort.zb
my computer says its a trojan, and I've already lost one computer to viruses, so I'm not sure I should take the risk...

I need advice D:

also,
hellboy909 wrote:OK, so here's what I get when I hit the "Patch" button (for a split second before the command window disappears):

Any ideas what this means?

Running Windows XP with the Steam edition of the game, if that helps.

you have the same problem I do, more or less.
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:28 pm

where is the folder with FTLgame.exe?
the_grue

Postby the_grue » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Moosicorn wrote:where is the folder with FTLgame.exe?

since I don't presume to guess where you keep your steam folder, here's a generic path.

Steam/Steamapps/common/FTL Faster Than Light/

if you didn't get it through steam, your installation process should have given you some idea of a location.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Grognak, I'm trying to create a GMM version of FTL Infinite Space, but users that have tried to load it up say it doesn't work.

I'm currently using Winrar, and archiving as a ZIP, is that the problem?

I'm including a Data folder, and inside that folder the xmls i have updated with a .append on the end of them.
example:

autoBlueprints.xml.append

Any ideas why it wouldn't work? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

*EDIT: I've tried to only updated the START_GAME event, named file events.xml.append, and the game crashes.
Below is the only contents of the one file I've tried, and it doesn't work. Not sure what the problem is. any help would be appreciated.

<event name="START_GAME">
<text>Welcome to FTL INFINITE SPACE! You've recently aquired your own Star Ship, and you're eager to explore the cosmos. The Universe is a vast and dangerous place, and you never know what you will encounter. Good Luck!</text>
</event>

Unpacked data.dat created with GMM and at the end of the file is the modded START_GAME event, but it has an odd character in front of the left chevron before event name is what looks like an apostrophe, but its actually in the same space as the chevron. If you put your cursor in front of it, you can delete it, and not the chevron.

*EDIT: I'm now able to create a working .ftl file, but not when I use the .append extension. I'm probably doing something wrong because the others I've downloaded are using the .append.
Last edited by DrkTemplar on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:02 am

Alright, straight up can't get it to work.

Done everything I've read here, and in the readme, still nothing. No error messages, but when I try to load the manager, it starts up no problem, then just...disappears. And all the mods I had before I grabbed the GMM won't work either.

Get the feeling it's something horribly simple I just don't see.

Running through steam on windows 7 if it helps.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:52 am

As you guys have probably noticed I haven't been on as much lately. Sorry about that.

For everyone that's having problems with the app simply opening and doing nothing and things like that, does 1.3 work for you?

@DrkTemplar, it sounds like you might be saving in UTF-8 instead of Ansi?
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 am

Nope, tried all 5 versions, no dice.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Grognak wrote:As you guys have probably noticed I haven't been on as much lately. Sorry about that.

For everyone that's having problems with the app simply opening and doing nothing and things like that, does 1.3 work for you?

@DrkTemplar, it sounds like you might be saving in UTF-8 instead of Ansi?

Yeah looks like it. Looks like the originals are in utf-8 as well. Thanks for getting back to me. I was also wondering, how do you provide a "description" for your mod that will show in the manager?

*EDIT: Just curious, why not use UTF-8 like the originals?
Last edited by DrkTemplar on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DA-SR 12

Postby DA-SR 12 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm

I ran modman and patched every thing fine but when i click yes when it prompts me to run FTL the window for FTL shows up for a brief second and closes, any suggestions?
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, it's always done that for me. It's fine though: just set up a shortcut somewhere to the version of FTL you keep for modding (since it's DRM-free you can have one install for playing and a separate one for modding) and just say "No" when GMM asks you if you want to launch FTL. It's faintly annoying, but it's just another click or two.

Now if there was a way to tell GMM "Enable ALL mods in the directory" without having to laboriously click each one (scrolling down the tiny scroll window where necessary), I'd love that.