Grognak's Mod Manager v1.7 (Updated March 6, 2013!)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
aedyr

Re: Grognak's Mod Manager

Postby aedyr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm having a bit of trouble. I used ftldat to deactivate the fleet, using the modifyPursuit tag. I am trying to convert it to a .ftl mod for use with this tool.

I created events.xml.append as follows:

<!-- No Rebel Fleet mod -->

<event name="START_GAME">
<text>The data you carry is vital to the remaining Federation fleet. You'll need supplies for the journey, so make sure to explore each sector before moving on to the next. But get to the exit before the pursuing Rebel fleet can catch up! MOD: Fleet Disabled</text>
<modifyPursuit amount="-100000" />
</event>

<event name="START_BEACON">
<text>Welcome to a new sector! Get to the exit beacon and jump to the next sector before the pursuing Rebels catch you!</text>
<modifyPursuit amount="-100000" />
</event>

I just added the pursuit tags and changed the text in START_GAME to verify function. My .ftl file has the correct data/events.xml.append structure. However, after running the mod program, I'm getting a runtime error when I try to launch FTL; it says the application "terminated in an unusual way" or something to that effect. Am I missing something in my code?
blaeron

Postby blaeron » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Pretty amazing all and in itself, but there is something preventing me from making full use of it: Anything in the /img/weapons, /img/warnings, ect, ect, are all moved to /img, preventing any custom graphics from working.
Insert something witty and humorous here.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for the support, all.

tazardar wrote:I have a suggestion though: Sooner or later, mods are going to become complex. Newer versions will be released and start depending on each other. How about an additional xml file in the ftl file that contains stuff like

• name
  • version
  • description
  • dependencies&version
  • additional instructions

I had thought about that, but it never made it into release. I'm not sure how useful dependency support for this game would be, can you give a real-world example?

tazardar wrote:One thing that comes to mind is that, at the time, we can only replace/modify the 18 existing player ships, and players might not want to replace the ships that the mod creator planned. You could store the filenames of random ship files in the xml and prompt the user with a choice which ship to replace.

That's a great idea, I'll keep that in mind.

tazardar wrote:If we want to be especially fancy, we could have it contain the instructions what to change in the game files, reducing the modorder problem and making it easier to automatically detect conflicts.

Not really sure about what you mean by instructions, what else would a mod need to do besides copying files?

I might make a conflict detector program in a future patch that goes through all the mods and sees if two mods try the replace the same file.

aedyr wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble. I used ftldat to deactivate the fleet, using the modifyPursuit tag. I am trying to convert it to a .ftl mod for use with this tool.

That's odd. Try removing the space between " and /> on both of the events? If that doesn't work, does it work when you add it and repack the file yourself without GMM?

blaeron wrote:Pretty amazing all and in itself, but there is something preventing me from making full use of it: Anything in the /img/weapons, /img/warnings, ect, ect, are all moved to /img, preventing any custom graphics from working.

Yeah, I should have a patch to fix that out by tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
DarkestLulz

Postby DarkestLulz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 am

I've converted facespace to work with the modmanager.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2558
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 am

Version 1.1 is now out!

Patch notes:
- Fixed critical issue with sub-folders
- Experimental Mac/Linux support
aedyr

Postby aedyr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 am

Grognak wrote:
aedyr wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble. I used ftldat to deactivate the fleet, using the modifyPursuit tag. I am trying to convert it to a .ftl mod for use with this tool.

That's odd. Try removing the space between " and /> on both of the events? If that doesn't work, does it work when you add it and repack the file yourself without GMM?

I tried taking out the spaces; same problem. And yes, it does work when I just change events.xml manually, without using GMM. Using GMM to replace the entire events.xml also works. Something seems to be going on in the appending mechanic.
dracul104

Postby dracul104 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:11 am

Hey Grognak, this is looking pretty great. I'm trying to run this on Linux, but when I try to start it with Python I get this error:

File "main.py", line 7, in <module>
import easygui as eg
ImportError: No module named easygui

Not sure if I did anything wrong.
Grognak

Postby Grognak » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 am

aedyr wrote:I tried taking out the spaces; same problem. And yes, it does work when I just change events.xml manually, without using GMM. Using GMM to replace the entire events.xml also works. Something seems to be going on in the appending mechanic.

That is strange, since it works on my end. Can you upload your .ftl file?

dracul104 wrote:Hey Grognak, this is looking pretty great. I'm trying to run this on Linux, but when I try to start it with Python I get this error:

Whoops! Check out the latest version, it comes with a couple more files and a readme in the src folder.
aedyr

Postby aedyr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 am

Grognak wrote:That is strange, since it works on my end. Can you upload your .ftl file?

Sure thing. Thanks for taking a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2h0ye1uxflwclp9
aedyr

Postby aedyr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 am

Grognak wrote:That is strange, since it works on my end. Can you upload your .ftl file?

Well, on a whim I rewrote my xml file from scratch. Works perfectly now, as an APPEND file. Some artifact must have crept into my original. Thanks again for helping. And thanks for the tool in general; I think it's very slick.