Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
SciGuy303

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby SciGuy303 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I recently picked up weapon spriting, so thought I'd show some of my work with you:
This was my first attempt at spriting, so feedback is appreciated. P.S this was not spliced, I just made it by scratch.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:13 pm

I really need to finish this, but I'm way to lazy. Here's the progress I've made on the Ion Cannon in my attempt to delay the inevitable.

I'm just realizing how much of a nightmare the shading is going to be. I need some feedback on the solar panels and the radar disk thingy though, I'm really bad with perspectives.

WhiteWeasel wrote:Image

Better, but the glows around the 1x2 pixel bits are still barely visible.

SciGuy303 wrote:Image

One again it looks really good, but the glowing effects could be improved.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:12 am

Double post
Last edited by WhiteWeasel on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:17 am

SciGuy303 wrote:I recently picked up weapon spriting, so thought I'd show some of my work with you:
This was my first attempt at spriting, so feedback is appreciated. P.S this was not spliced, I just made it by scratch.

I really like the shape of that weapon. What program did you make it in? That white background won't do if you plan to animate it.

Chrono Vortex wrote:Better, but the glows around the 1x2 pixel bits are still barely visible.

I see, all the lights on a beam should emit a glow effect, I'll fix that. Here you go:
SciGuy303

Postby SciGuy303 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:37 am

WhiteWeasel wrote:
SciGuy303 wrote:I recently picked up weapon spriting, so thought I'd show some of my work with you:

I really like the shape of that weapon. What program did you make it in? That white background won't do if you plan to animate it.

I made it in GIMP. Also I know about the white background and I'll fix that soon.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:56 pm

I've got all the primary bits for the Ion Cannon pretty much finished.

Now I just have to throw on some more detail, do some shading and add shadows. Easier said than done...
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:36 am

Ok guys, here's my first take on missile weapons. Though to be honest, I stole the "lip" on the end of the missile tubes from captains edition.
EDIT: Here's a more detailed launcher. ImageImage

Chrono Vortex wrote:I've got all the primary bits for the Ion Cannon pretty much finished.
Now I just have to throw on some more detail, do some shading and add shadows. Easier said than done...

Awesome satellite, as for shading, have you picked a direction for your imaginary light source to be yet?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:56 am

That ion cannon is coming along nicely.
I recommend you look at A Strange New Galaxy though. There's a Space Station/Satellite ship with no weapons you can draw inspiration from (Or ask Metzelmax if you can outright copy it and modify it :D)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Stations and solar panels were meant to be in the vanilla game at one point.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:35 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:Have you picked a direction for your imaginary light source to be yet?

Naturally it'll be in the top left corner as it is for everything which appears in the target box.

stylesrj wrote:I recommend you look at A Strange New Galaxy though.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I already have a pretty good idea of what I want.

I did mention the the Ion Cannon is going to be like a mini boss and not a player ship, right? I'm also thinking of making an entire C&C (probably primarily Tiberian Sun) themed sector to put it in eventually, but first I have to make space Orcas and Nod stealth ships and all that good stuff.